Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

LastBulliet FPS/Halo Style [OFFICAL THREAD]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by LastBulliet, Apr 14, 2011.

1. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

This is what I would like to be! I don't want to be stuck with games all my life, Please. If you have any pointers or tips I would be really pleased if you could PM me with info and guidance :) I would be really happy! I tend to play and make structures of such, But I havent gotten to the stage of texturing with quality. Your work is very inspirational and is.. Stunning!

Please drop me a line :)

Regards

-Charlie :)

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This. It doesn't matter how S*** it is, finish it - completely. I cannot express how important that is.

3. techmage

techmage

If you want to do architecture, as in actually design the buildings, you will need a degree in architecture. If you just want to do archviz, as in just modelling buildings from floorplans and making renders, having any sort of degree in architecture helps. But if you just want to do rendering and modelling, you generally just have to get really really good. But unfortunately the market is saturated for stuff like that right now. There are so many viz artists out there, even better than me, looking for work. Just not enough buildings are being built to supply enough things to visualize. The only viz guys that seem to me to be surviving right now are the really old guys, who have had established major clients for decades and/or do government work, and even then I think the pressure of economy is still getting to them.

So if your asking, how do you get a job doing archviz? Not even I can figure that out right now!
    I mean, perhaps if I took a few months to produce some really amazing new works for my portfolio I could find a firm somewhere in the world that would hire me. Which could work. But me personally, I don't love archviz enough to want to will myself into it that much. I really dislike producing artwork under timeframes managed by construction people, they always want it cheaper and faster, and care less and less about artistic merit as the economy tightens. I want to get myself to a place where I can run on a 'its done when its done' timeline. Creating and selling videogames is the way I see to do that.

Also unless your an architect, you don't design buildings, you just model them and render them, and it can become somewhat tiresome making images of other peoples designs, and never designing anything yourself. Which is another reason I want to get out of archviz.

However, I may not be the best to talk to about the archviz industry, I'm somewhat jaded to it.

If you just want to know how to get better at doing renderings of architecture. Get the right tools, read lots and do lots of tests. Just start working with it, trying things and experimenting. I personally really like to model buildings in Google Sketchup, and render them in 3DS Max 2012. Most people just use only Max. Becoming proficient with Mental Ray in Max will let you make fancy renders.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  4. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Thanks for the information, I'm only 15 so I haven't been to University yet, But after College I do plan on going to University to take an Architecture degree. Considering for games I don't need grades because if I need to make enough money to live of I will always have a place at Molecube.

I guess I will just keep practising then :)

5. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

I have decided i am going to make a simple Racing game, I am also coding the server base too, it will be kind of like NFS world. Thats was what made me decide, It seems simpler and everything, I also have people that would love to play it and help work it out and everything

My uncle is a technition for channell 9 (thought it was microsoft)

He has gotten me already 4 1/2 Dell GX 360 Compacts and he is dropping me off today, So i will have plenty of dedis to host the servers, I am making a Tower Thing to hold them all, He is bringing more over today, I am going to have like 30 or so of them setup and have some for dedis and others to rent out.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  6. WrathKingdomStudios

WrathKingdomStudios

Bullet, I for one would love to help out with your project. Though I am directing a project of my own, since I am only needed to direct the project and keep it alive I can easily help you out as well.
    I myself am a concept artist, and I have been working diligently to learn coding.

7. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

I'd love that, I am thinking of using that Open source car physics and then just modifying it and everything, then getting it online, database etc. Then i will find tester's.

8. WrathKingdomStudios

WrathKingdomStudios

Alright, that sounds like a good idea. Though it will need some major tweaks, because if you've ever seen it in action, it gets kind of crazy... Or we may be thinking of two separate open source car physics

9. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

I am looking at the one with the mcfarlin car or however you spell it. But yes i am willing to put time and effort into it, As you know if you have ever played NFS : World its pretty buggy too, But people still love it, so as long as i work it out good and also make it good i could do some good with it

10. WrathKingdomStudios

WrathKingdomStudios

Maybe shoot for something smaller for your very first game? Like, a singleplayer racer with some multipley capabilities?

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

ok with your general commentary, I retract my supportive statements I made previously. Doing need for speed online is far more complex than doing an FPS. WAY more complex, actually. Networked physics are a nightmare to get right.

Why not do something simple and sweet for your first project instead of fooling around like some random brat in the back yard. Pick a simple game, finish it, keep it small. You will learn all there is to learn about unity.

12. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

A brat? Nice words of choice, and i am sure i can find my way around a back yard and physics can eat it. Nothing needs to be perfect to be a success. I have played games that have S*** physics, Even if my Physics sucked it would still be fine. called a work in progress. Start something hard and sooner or later it will come out right. Start simple and move up will take longer them me starting hard, Learning what to do and doing it. So if you have lost support for me i dont need you commenting it on my thread. Thank you.

13. WrathKingdomStudios

WrathKingdomStudios

Last, you do not understand. If physics suck it will not be "fine". Driving games like this that are completely focused on driving are 85% physics, 5% models, 5% customizability, and 5% sweet sounds and soundtrack. Physics are a HUGE part of them. If you have a game where every time some one tries turning the car flips over, or if at high speeds the car handles horribly and does massive turns at the slightest touch, no one is going to want to play it!

14. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Thats where the time comes in man, More time = perfecting it so it doesnt do that, I am not in a rush at all. clearly some people dont get that

15. WrathKingdomStudios

WrathKingdomStudios

You may not be in a rush, but the problem is most people here are impatient. They will only work on a project for like a max of 8 months. That is as a team effort I mean. Then they dissapear for a while and reapper trying to join some one elses project. Once a person leaves a game when it's like 3+ months into development it's a pain replacing them.

16. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

17. WrathKingdomStudios

WrathKingdomStudios

... Drive off the side and watch it, the thing bounces and flips like it's made of rubber.

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes this is what you don't understand. Doing a racing game as single player would be possible by any of us here in an hour. Unity makes it pretty easy.

Networking that? no.

19. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Lol dude its called coding your own server sockets and everything. and i can even host it...

20. WrathKingdomStudios

WrathKingdomStudios

It is not a question of being able to create a server and being able to have a bunch of people drive around in it. It is a question of being able to sync and maintain physics and speed while running in multiplayer.

21. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Well maybe i can figure it out? ahah

22. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Good luck to you.

23. WrathKingdomStudios

WrathKingdomStudios

Very well, do not listen to other people who have had experience in game making. Go ahead with your idea. I am afraid I am going to have to withdraw my support, for I neglected to read the latest post when I first posted. I was under the influence it was still going to be an fps.
    Of course that is until when you responded to my first post and I realized you had made a change in plans.

24. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

My cents are the same as everyone elses two cents, Bad idea maybe LB, Good luck anyway

25. ian-mac

ian-mac

Ditto

26. strobe

strobe

I agree with Wrath that you should keep your first game small. You cant just imagine that you have a great idea and screw around when you don't even have a single experience about it...you could have started on a small project, like a platformer or improving the FPS tutorial. Like what they say, the process is more important than the result. Anyways.. good luck.

27. Paradox Knife

Paradox Knife

I know it has been two years and you are probably big time now but, if you are still using unity, can we work together? Maybe over email? Please reply to my email; mythicalmax@live.com
    Thank you very much for your time