Search Unity

LastBulliet FPS/Halo Style [OFFICAL THREAD]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by LastBulliet, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Artimese

Artimese

2. Benopaluz

Benopaluz

Your not going to get far with tutorials. There only ment to give you a kick start, not complete the whole project.

3. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Okay I will check those out thanks guys, Just trying to get better and better.

4. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

That's okay, I had a teacher who couldn't tie his shoes. He always wore strap on boots or sandals because of this, but he was an amazing technical artist.

5. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

If you want to learn to code, I suggest you start with UnityScript/Javascript - it's easier for beginners and does everything you'll need for your first game. The best Javascript kickstart tutorial I've ever seen actually came from this forum - I wish it had come out before I started learning.

Here's the tutorial: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/34015-Newbie-guide-to-Unity-Javascript-(long)?highlight=intro+javascript+class

6. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Thanks man that helps alot :) ill be sure to goo threw them all and become the best i can be :)

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Some advice from a guy who sells his game for a living

1. do not get drawn into the forums and don't bother trying to look good on forums or argue with the various trolls. Trolls exist to slow down your games. Use forums for problem solving.

2. do not make a website or graphics. Make the game first then do a "media pass" afterwards to create media only where it is needed for the game. Get used to placeholders.

3. ask yourself if its really worth watching TV and how much more progress could you have done on the game.

4. learn what things waste your time and stop doing it.

I say these tips because you're already getting drawn into pointless forum discussions and also now thinking of a website. What you wanted to do was make the game right? worry about other stuff when you have 1 working level all finished...

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

3 and 4 are pretty dangerous advices cause if you don't rest your brain you will not finish your game either, you will end in a burnout, lose your job / miss important exams and throw the hobby or your existance out the window at worst completely (seen that end much more often than successfully finished games)

9. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Marry me.
    Haha

Someone who understands :) Best of luck to you!

-Charlie

10. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I started at 14 too, And from the past year of experience, I have learnt that:

Don't care if you project fails at first, It is your first project and unless you are insanely lucky and you work hard enough it will more than likely fail, But that isn't the point. Your getting the experience you need to get an insight into game development and see how it works, A year down the line you might go 'This isn't for me' and quit, I say if your having fun doing what your doing at the moment, And getting experience. Don't think about the future yet.

I am only 15 almost 16, So I'm probably not the best person to say this, But I started out going 'I WANT TO MAKE MMORPG RAWR RAWR RAWR' and hu-rah it failed :D (Kind of, Still going with other people)

And that experience on Omuni (the mmo) got me to what I am doing now, And that is all that matters to me :)

In conclusion

Tell Ali to get lost then ignore him ;)

11. Infeecctteedd

Infeecctteedd

Hmm, intriguing thread. Although you say you're aware it's not easy, I'm not convinced.

There's an immeasurably big gap inbetween having good concepts and translating them into a working title. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's a reason it takes teams of hundreds and tonnes of money to create amazing games.

I think the problem is people see Unity as some magical do everything awesome game engine, but imagine this, you're drawing a picture. Getting Unity is like getting a piece of paper; it isn't going to draw the picture for you, only display all of your beautiful work (in my case anyway :D). You need tonnes of skills that I don't think are even possible to be possessed by one person, and considering professionals get paid to do just one thing on their own, like modeling, or animating, hoping to do all of it is unreasonable to say the least.

Good luck anyway :D

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

but.... sometimes too much rest will never get anything finished :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  13. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Sorry guys been busy playing my favorite game i found called Eudemons Online check out my account so far
    after 2 days, you guys should check it out its pretty sweet, also had to change a oil gasket and a few other stuff

14. jasonkaler

jasonkaler

Well, if that's a cap from a game thats becoming peoples' favorite, then my game just may stand a chance.

Starting with a big project is never a good idea. It's better to get something small working first, like duckshoot. That will give you an idea of what it takes to make a game. Start small, then work your way up to something bigger.

15. techmage

techmage

I started at 14 too. My entire teenage years were spent on the computer intensely studying 3D software and games. I spent so much time studying 3D software, making stuff with it, making levels for games that I would fail classes and had absolutely no social life. Some called this talent, others called it dedication, in retrospect I think the most accurate adjective would be 'autism'.

16. puppeteer

puppeteer

Where are you now? What did you achieve?
    I also spent time during my teen years tinkering with graphics software (3DS release 4.0, anipro, Click and Play etc), but then stopped and focused on finishing school. In retrospect I think school was a waste of time. Now I'm back full force learning Unity/Flash and bent on making games and games only.

17. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Infeecctteedd, have you not seen sollthar's Frontiers?
    Not to mention, the industrialization of game development is a recent occurrence, and accounts for the focus on specialization in the industry. It was not always like this, and I for one am against hyper specialization, because it turns artistic developments like games and films into bureaucracies, where the final product's message and theme are either non-existent or highly generic and pointless. Think Call of Duty and all of its spin-offs.
    There have been many awesome games made by one, or just afew developers, especially back in the shareware days. I agree with you that some see Unity as a magical tool that will make a game at the click of a button, but i think you are seeing game development as something that is alot harder than it actually is,or has to be. Just because the industry does things one way doesn't mean its the only way, or even the best way.
    What skills does one need to make a game by themselves? I would says they need story telling skills, 3D or 2D digital animation skills,
    programming skills, sound design and music skills, and a good sense of gameplay dynamics. In my eyes, that really isn't a tall order, and there are loads of people who have all of those talents and skills, some of whom are on this very forum.

18. ali31

ali31

This would be the problem with starting at 14, he just got carried away playing another game. >_>

19. Viet4Lyfe

Viet4Lyfe

We all have to pull our inspiration from somewhere. And besides, we can't all dedicate our lives to making games

20. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Yes i have other stuff to do then that but i can still make a game if i want :p

21. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Perfect attitude :D.

22. ali31

ali31

It is when you want to actually make a good one.

23. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

It is what?

24. ali31

ali31

Sorry I worded that wrong. I meant to say it is important to dedicate your life to making games if you want to make a good one.

25. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Thanks for the clarification...
    That's not true, well, its not the only way. The other way is to do is slowly, take your time, and enjoy it. Too much of it will make you loathe it... Trust me, I overdid it, and stopped enjoying it. I am finally getting back into it.

26. ali31

ali31

To each his own, I find it hard to dedicate myself to a project if I'm not giving it my all. Of course I do take breaks, I don't make it my life, but throughout the day I'm constantly thinking of improvements to make.

27. Viet4Lyfe

Viet4Lyfe

Well that's a given. It depends on your definition of dedication. Some would say dedication would be almost obsessive others would say dedication is only the will the work on it from time to time.

28. marcos

marcos

Heck yes! Klik and Play! Europress represent!
    I think I was like 10 when I first made a game with that!

29. makan

makan

Good luck

30. aunty_em

aunty_em

hey, jonathan
    i think your concept art is cool, i'd like to get a better idea for what you have in mind for your game in terms of gameplay, plot, etc.
    im not incredibly experienced with unity, i am only 14 as well and started a year or less ago. i am also learning javascript at the moment. if you can put together a team of people or learn more about game design yourself this game can go somewhere. i'd like to work with you myself maybe as an animator. i'll hopefully have a demo or a video up for what im working on right now, a simple capture the flag fps.

31. ali31

ali31

Yeah that's not the only thing I'm working on, in fact I'm hardly working on that at all. I queue up around 3-4 projects to keep myself busy. It's a great way to learn fast though I doubt you'd have much experience with that.

32. Majatek

Majatek

Lol! I started out with that one too! :p

33. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

a game like halo guys, with a hint of RPG since you will be killing, to get ranks and lvls higher rank and lvls you get the better you can make your army

34. ivanzu

ivanzu

That is going to take some time.

35. Artimese

Artimese

1 Week has gone by, a few concept drawings, 0 signs of implementation in unity (or even opening unity for that matter), 0 in-game images, 0 effort.

My best guess?

-5 minutes/1 week = making the drawings.
    -2 minutes/1 week = replying on this thread.
    -6 days, 23 hours, and 53 minutes/1 week = playing Eudemons Online.

36. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Lol, you don't know that for sure. Maybe he just isn't showing anything.

37. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Humerous but very harsh.

38. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

I want to see you have to walk to the library to work on it all the time... and gaming is NOT a full time thing. I dont plan to make a Career off this. I also play games. too see the system on how they work and what people like and how i can change something if i made a game like that too get more people to play to move from one game to another.

Also i Found A game called Cronus Via http://cronous.neofun.com and i have been checking that out. i like the story line, graphics. i believe graphics are a small part in gaming. But only on some peoples parts. i know that people love mine-craft and its graphics are crap. So i think even if my Game doesn't have great graphics but has a amazing a sophisticated Game play people will like it. That's why i play other games while working on my own. So you really shouldn't be dissing and talking crap about someone when you don't even know what your talking about. Or you just take way too much time making games and not working about the real reality unless you make them for a living.

Sincerely,
    Last Bullet

PS: I have been working for family to earn money for a new Computer, At least i am not just asking for it and getting what i want.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  39. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Im a nerd and I am sooo Offended :( Nah I keep, I think im on the same page as you, Although I make money at the moment from this id never want it as a long time career.. I really hope I can get into Architecture eventually :)

I hope to see updates from you soon, Want to see what you come out with :)

40. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

That's Great in my lifetime i hope to go to college for Mainly a Electrician and Secondly a Architect. If i have spare time, I would love to go to be a software Engineer, If you are making money, Then i am not talking to you. Its people that are doing small games but come on my thread trashing me cause i am trying to do other stuff to prepare myself for making a game.

41. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

I am going to work, I'll be Checking up on my iPod Every once in a while see you all later and happy Easter

42. DonGato

DonGato

Sorry this is so long... Please read it through :)

Just gotta throw in my two cents here, I have been following this thread for a while for my own amusement.

LastBulliet, it is entirely your fault that you are getting S*** here, so don't get mad about it.

Let me explain why...

You created a thread announcing your game (or rather your intention to make a game) with almost nothing to show for it. You say you want your game to have "amazingly sophisticated gameplay", but you don't even have a plan as to how to achieve this, much less something more material. Those who are ragging on you are skeptical for good reason. You have given them nothing to make them respect you.

The only reasons you have people defending you are because you have a little bit of personality, and because you didn't say you were making a MMORPG. People here are so used to this that they just assume it will fail. They are not used to the same situation, only with the person wanting to make a FPS. In reality you are little different than one of those noobs saying they are going to make an mmorpg. As a rule people who get in their heads that they want to make a game as you have, with very little plan, and come on here and post a thread saying (more or less) "OMG IMA MAKE A GAME!!!111 doh" fail. Quickly and completely.

Don't be too insulted, I am NOT saying you will fail. I am saying you are very likely to fail. You have given me no reason to believe otherwise. Every rule has exceptions.

I really don't understand why you felt you needed to create a thread about this game. I personally think it is a bad idea unless you

a) Have a good thorough plan for what you want your game to be and want help making it, or feedback on it.
    b) Have the game-play mechanics created in a playable or recordable fashion to show what your game will be
    c) Have something that really looks good (And I mean something rather large,like maybe a whole level or whatever)

And if you do make a thread and don't meet those criteria, you will get no respect unless you are well known enough for people to really take you seriously.

Sorry to be harsh, I really do wish you good luck, and must say that despite myself I find myself kind of liking you.

BTW, maybe you should start with something simpler, a really basic project you can take from start to finish to get a bit better at this before you take on something more ambitious. This is what I am doing, Working on something really simple to build my skills (well TBH I am not working on it much... :p)

43. Benopaluz

Benopaluz

haha i to have had a good laugh at this thread. Im glad you joined our community it makes me feel... "big".

44. CarbonTech

CarbonTech

45. marcos

marcos

haha good video

46. ivanzu

ivanzu

Start small dont go big,well take a look at me i spent 5months learning unity and now im going to make small 2Dgame&package.You cant just get up one morning and say i wanna make Halo it takes some money and lots of time.If they spent few years making the game with 20+ guys working on it, so its going to take like 5years for you to make that game and when you make it will be outdated!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  47. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Genius

48. arvzg

arvzg

Hi Jonathan,

Firstly, as many people here have mentioned, don't get too sucked in by what people say in the forums.
    Secondly, also as many people have mentioned, it may be a better idea for you to actually start by doing smaller projects, just so you can get your foot off the ground with Unity and game development. Get to know the little details first, and one day when you have enough experience and knowledge, you can go ahead and make your "baby". This is what I'm doing at the moment.

If you'd like someone to bounce ideas with and talk about unity and game design in general feel free to contact me on msn. arvin.g@gmail.com

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  49. EVO-Gaming

EVO-Gaming

I agreee go last bullet rock on

50. techmage

techmage

I had a nice run being an architectural visualization artist. You can see my portfolio here with some of my work:
    http://sites.google.com/site/ryangoodrichportfolio/

However with the slump of economy and architecture industry in my area, thats fallen apart. So I have gone back to school, I am aiming at getting a degree in computer graphics programming so that I can hopefully work on developing 3D software, rather than work using it. I wish I could find a way to get somewhere without school, as I think school is the most terrible structure to learn art and advanced programming in. But our society seems to offer no alternative.

I feel like high school was a big waste as well. And alot of my time spent in college is being a big waste as well. But the government gives you money to go to college. Right now I get $1300 a month in my pocket, after tuition, to go to school. When I compared my options of:
    I can either work in a restaurant full time for 1000 a month.
    OR I can go through the constant struggle and stress of constantly trying to find freelance work, and battle with clients, never knowing how much I will get.
    OR I go to school and spend 8 hours a week sitting in classes for $1300 a month... It seemed obvious that school will give me the most money, for the least amount of stress, with the most amount of spare time left over to work on my game projects and 3D stuff. Plus maybe I might learn some things. Getting a background in 3D and vector mathematics can certainly help, I've been taking a c# class which has made me alot more proficient with c#. Plus, if I HAVE to keep going to school and I end up getting to the level of a masters or phd student in graphics programming, than I basically just get to do graphics research, which I would really like to do.

If your still in a situation where you can spend time sitting at your parents house, on the computer, all day, everyday, and you don't have to pay rent, or go to school to pay rent. For the love of god don't waste it, and don't wast it all just learning theory or doing 'experiments' either! Don't spend it all trying to piece together your magnum opus in one go. Produce "less-than-world-changing" and "make-me-millions-games" in shorter time frames just to get things into your portfolio. Try to force yourself to produce finished pieces.