Search Unity

LastBulliet FPS/Halo Style [OFFICAL THREAD]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by LastBulliet, Apr 14, 2011.

1. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Hey everyone,

My name is Jonathan i am 14, I am going to try, hopefully be able to make a FPS game like halo. Or some what like it. Right Now i am working on Concept Art, Just so i have a piece in mind of what my models and work will soon to come out like, This Image Below is my First Sketch i did on my iPod, ( Right now i am downloading Auto Desk Sketch-book Pro) and it has not details yet, soon will once download is finished, I Will keep you all updated and do more Sketch's and Concept Art as they come to me.

Sincerely,
    Last Bullet Staff (Jonathan)

2. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

Welcome to the forums Jonathan!
    Good luck with your game, and if you need help remember to ask!
    I'm curious, how did you get such detail on the iphone, what app did you use? Are you using a conductive stylus?

3. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Well i got sketch up Pro, For the Mobile One, And i am a very persistent drawer, I Use the symmetrical Setting, That also helped alot, and i have a very steady Hand so i can sketch without mistakes, I'll be sure to ask for help if i need it, I wish i could get a team going on this, But seeing as i am only 14 and younger and still learning, Even though I am very mature for my age, I am guessing no one would want to join, Or Help me out alot.

4. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Here are the steps i took In which i did to draw the Picture below. I water Mark them so People cannot copy right them.

First Step ( Sorry Its small I dont know why it is)

Step 2 (Added Forehead Symbols and everything)

Step 3 (sword and horns added)

Shown In the first Post

5. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

You don't need to watermark them- you have copyright automatically when you make something.

6. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

I wouldn't worry too much about that dude, you'll find that there are many younger developers here who are just looking for projects to work on. Capture our imaginations with a demo, i bet you'll get lots of help if its good. You already get points in my book for not saying that you are making an MMORPG by yourself as your first game. The user ryanD.unity is also working on an FPS, and he is 17 i think. You might try talking to him. There are many others who are teens doing awesome work.

Did you use a stylus to draw that image or did you use your fingers?

7. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Nope, My Fingers i am working on another Face, Ill probably have it up in a hour or so, and there are alot of people out there doing copy right and piracy and even tho it may not take me a long time to make them, and i got hints from Halo, They still came from my head, so i just want to always make sure, and that's science, Once i am done with the modeling and game play, I am planing to build my Own custom Client and socket system to make it online, also maybe a PHP database with MYSQL. If Anyone Wants to join in they can, I have Read quite a bit on how its hard to make a MMORPG and people are dumb for trying to make it, well the Problem with this is, they want it right there and then, I am planing to build, Work, and take the time it takes.

8. Viet4Lyfe

Viet4Lyfe

^I like him already

9. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

are you on an ipad?? you must have little fingers!
    I'll check that app out.

10. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Thanks Guys, i was hoping i would fit in, Also while i am working on my Concept art, I want to learn 3D modeling, cause i need to put something on the asset store, Cause i need to work to getting a new PC, right now i have a Hewitt Packer, Super Old one, I have to Put Unity on a USB and go to the Library even though i live close, Still is VERY annoying. I was going to ask people for donations, But i am a person that likes to work for his money. If you guys have any Suggestions, Let me know and ill sketch out some Proto's and see how you guy's like them.

Edit: Nope I am using a iPod Touch, 3rd Gen Firmware 4.3.1 i believe

11. Viet4Lyfe

Viet4Lyfe

That must be a big usb...

You can get work as a concept artist at your age. I am working on several paid projects actually just for concept art. Just look around and remember to build up a porfolio. I find age isn't a huge factor as long as you have ths skills to back it up :)

EDIT:
    heres a link to an open job http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/82908-Scripts-for-Art

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  12. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Very True, And yes it's a very big USB i am currently Using a Kingston Data-Traveler Only 8 GIG's but it gets the job done, I'm just hoping to save up some money to get a PC with a decent Graphics Card, Semi bigger hard drive. I have Played with unity 3D before, But Never really gotten into depth with it like i am now.

13. Viet4Lyfe

Viet4Lyfe

A good PC will set you back around $500-$1000
    And I don't know if you would be interested but you could also sell your art to developers

14. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

I don't Think they would want anything like you saw Up Above i dont think that's high enough in the visual lookings

15. Viet4Lyfe

Viet4Lyfe

Well considering what you already have, you could design splashs for developers or logos for companies

16. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Hmmm, I Wonder if anyone would Really pay anything good for that if so i could actually do that till i get a super nice PC or just good enough to run Unity on it :)

17. Viet4Lyfe

Viet4Lyfe

You should ask around. Many logos are really simple. The Windows and Mac logos are relatively simple. And even the Unity logo is simple, if not stylish.

And by the way, by working with a decent team on a larger project you can expect at least $500 out of it not including profit share.

18. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Oh thats huge ammount, Do you think i could sell the one up there as a logo with colors and remove the water mark? or just make new ones???

19. Viet4Lyfe

Viet4Lyfe

Well draw up some samples first and build a portfolio. Then look around for offers on the forums. Just don't stretch yourself.
    And yes it would be a good idea to add colors to your existing projects. As for the water mark, keep it there. If someone wants to buy that particular logo then remove it for their use.

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Maybe this guy is one of the tiny percent that go from hobbyist to pro. Anyway good luck with your endevours!

21. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Thanks Man, I'm just not sure how to start a Logo Thing, Should I Make a website? make some Stuff for a portfolio and just set it up that way?? I'm Not exactly sure at all.

Edit : Anyone wanna make me a website? I know how.. i just need to keep working on the logos, you will get credits for making it

22. Viet4Lyfe

Viet4Lyfe

It would be ironic if he went pro because of my advice, and I go bankrupt :p

Well my porfolio is on flickr.com. Until you get have a steady income to maintain the website, stick a free site.

23. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Ill Check it out, And if i do have an outcome to become pro and i make alot, Ill remember you gave me the idea, Pay you money for ideas :)

24. Viet4Lyfe

Viet4Lyfe

I'm holding you up to that promise xD

25. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Sweet :p cause i wasn't kidding, You gave me the Idea that i can make money from, So you Can get money from Giving me the Idea :p

26. ali31

ali31

How old is this kid?

You basically drew up a crummy version of the Halo difficulty options. I think it's a little early to be thinking about making a game if that's really all you have.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  27. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Clearly you didn't Hear me say i got my ideas from Halo or read the fact i said i was 14, So before you come into a thread calling me kid and everything. Read everything. Also its like 1 to 6 Since they Like it and you dont. so just got Troll on someone Else's Thread Mr. :)

Also Calling me a kid Shouldn't be said since your only 18, Just a Year over the Age of a Minor.

28. ian-mac

ian-mac

Cut him some slack. I remember being 14 and developing my drawing skills by copying everything that I found inspired me at the time (I'm sure it was all the pencil sketches they used to have in White Dwarf magazine). ;)

LB: Creating and drawing your own stuff will only come once you're proficient enough with the tools and concepts of illustration. Carry on as you're going. Maybe try sketching things out with a pencil first as you might find it easier to get some more definition in your shapes as well as shading. You could then take a picture of your sketch and use it as a template to trace over in Sketchbook.

29. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

I agree and thank you for standing up for me, I just like Halo Quite a bit, that's why.

30. gamenut30111

gamenut30111

We should be happy that there are people who are this interested in game development at that age. It is quite impressive that you can do that at your age, and especially on an ipod. I myself got started on these forums, with no knowledge other than basic modeling and code blocks, and have made enough money to make a "super nice computer" These forums are a really great tool for learning all the steps in making a game, that being said, halo itself was made by a large company, with a large amount of people. Trying to implement some of the features in Halo would be a great learning experience for you, so in all, I wish you the best of luck and it's nice to see someone on the forums who is 14 but also has the desire to learn.

31. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

I agree some people just dont understand ( or real) the full thread before trolling thanks for the comments they mean alot guys

32. Benopaluz

Benopaluz

Well you seem to have your ideas down, but have you any experience on Unity in the past? your up for a challenge i can assure you, keep us updated with your sketches. :)

33. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

I will man and im pretty good in unity, i got all fro game packs and unity rpg scripts all up to date

34. ali31

ali31

Eh, I remember being younger too. It wasn't until people started telling me I couldn't do something that I worked harder to put into their faces that I can. I thank the trolls for that.

Either way you're younger than me kid, get used to it. I'm just busting your balls, you're going to be taking a lot of S*** the next few years, just do work and don't get lazy.

Oh you say you're pretty good at Unity, why don't you show us what you got done? ;)

35. Livalink

Livalink

+1

36. Viet4Lyfe

Viet4Lyfe

Come on guys....stop hatin. We NEED more people like him. Too many people his age are concerned wig playing the games themselves rather the wondering how to make a game. Sure he needs a little bit of work, but we all have to start from somewhere.

37. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

38. Novodantis

Novodantis

Ali31's criticism might be harsh, but pales to what you'll inevitably encounter as a designer. Shrug them off. Calling troll won't do you any favours if you want to be taken seriously.

There's nothing wrong with what you've done already, it's just still very early stages. You may want to hang onto ideas and designs longer, build them up a little, before showing them. But you seem to have the drive and determination to take you far, so best of luck with your game. A Halo-like FPS is an ambitious first project, but then nothing great was ever achieved without ambition. I myself find my projects are always too ambitious, but see how you go with it.

39. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

What i have done? I just came back too Unity, Ba cause i messed up on putting stuff on my flash drive and lost it. That's not my fault. But i am pretty good, I also have all fro-games from a LONG time ago and updated Burgzerd arcade RPG scripts

40. ali31

ali31

You might as well just give up now.

41. ivanzu

ivanzu

ALI! Show some respect that kid acts more mature than you do!

42. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Ali makes a fair point - I've had much the same story. I really started picking up in the quality of my work after people started telling me I was doing crap. It made it easier for me to study great works by others and really dig into what makes them good. From that, I was able to learn and improve my own work.

You can't make something great until you're able to see the cracks that keep it from being so.

So, that said, perhaps it is we who just need to be more detailed with our criticisms, so that he'll know what specifically needs improvement.

So, here are my criticisms. I think you need to work on your sense of form. Practice figure drawing - draw your family and friends... just draw people all time time. It doesn't matter if they don't look good - you will eventually either get good at it even if it takes until you're 18 (hey... just in time to start looking for jobs!). The better you get at drawing people and animals, the better you'll get at drawing EVERYTHING. Also, draw cool buildings and landscapes - learn how to do crosshatching so you can shade things in really quickly. Draw VERY quickly - not every drawing will look good, but the more you do it, the more frequently you'll come up with good, fast drawings.

Finally... just have fun - you're 14. When I was your age I was drawing things like this.

Attached Files:

43. ali31

ali31

Well put Deram.

That kid misspelled bullet 3x in a row.

44. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

I Ment too, Someone else had the user name but i still wanted it... :)

45. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

As someone who started using Unity at 14 as well, good luck! I actually started off with an FPS, too (although it was a much smaller scale), and even though I can't directly help on your game I do have a free FPS starter package that could help.

46. Benopaluz

Benopaluz

I am 16 and i believe i started at the age of 14 too, must be a hormonal thing or something.
    but anyway, i think making a FPS is one of the funnest projects in unity. So as long as you have fun with your project im sure it will be a great game.

47. drewradley

drewradley

I started at the age of 14 as well, but there was no Unity in 1984 so I had to do it the old fashioned way - in BASIC.

48. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I started at 15 and accomplished quite a bit. Never released anything because I never finished anything. But the knowledge is there.

Some of you guys need to give this kid a break, at least he isn't trying to make another MMO.

49. Artimese

Artimese

Haha, I love threads like these, reminds me of this other user that said he wanted to make an RPG game and make the sky purple because it looks fantasy like... good times.

Anyway, I do agree with ali31 in some ways, drawings will get you almost nowhere, anyone can pull up some drawings, and tbh, it wont help that much, concept art is important, but what you have showed us (so far) is absolutely nothing... Im not trying to be mean or anything (everyone has gone thru that noob i wanna make WoW stage in our lives) but you got to face the fact that whats a drawing on a peice of paper is by far nothing taking that drawing into a real 3d model, thats been uv mapped, animated if needed to and optimized to run on decent computers in our generation.

Im just talking about the 3D concept of a game, we haven't even talked about scripting. Do you know anything about javascript, c# or boo? Everyone on this forum knows that you cant get anywhere without having knowledge of scripting, declaring variables, for loops, while loops, if else statements, nested if statements, cases, co-routines, embedded math functions like mathf.sin etc, vector3 /vector2, raycasts, transform positions, rotations, scales, audio scripts, triggers and collision functions, man this list goes on (I hope i didn't scare you with all that)

You said a FPS game, that FPS tutorial wont get you very far but it is a start i suppose, its not like you have other options. All in all, what im saying is that making a "Halo style fps game" is absolutely no walk in the park, you need to know what your up against, i have a feeling that you do not!

50. LastBulliet

LastBulliet

Well it will be a FPS, Just in space. Unlike Halo Where it is on a Planet, Well at least on reach it is. I am also Learning Coding and everything If you guys want to learn to code or making anything ( Most of you probably have heard of this) But Checkout Its Called W3Schools, You Can find it Via www.w3schools.com/ I suggest it, Very Nice and simple tuts but will send you a Long Way.