Search Unity

Last Stand - Starter Kit Source (Updated)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by puppeteer, Nov 2, 2010.

1. puppeteer

puppeteer

Hey all,

Updated my Starter Kit:
    - new Upgrade Shop where you can improve weapon damage, health and shield.
    - Customizable radar
    - Camera zooms out when moving (thanks to feedback from you guys :D)
    - Enemies avoid obstacles and each other while chasing you

More info, Source Code (with documentation) and Webplayer available here:
    http://activeden.net/item/last-stand-unity-survival-shooter/133423?ref=majd_abdul

I'd love more feedback about gameplay, so I can keep improving this kit.

And thanks again for the feedback and support :D

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. okimoki

okimoki

wow! this looks nice!!! wish i would have 45 bucks lying around so i could give this a go.. well.. i'll just lurk in the shadows and learn from the free tutorials :/
    Nice effort though and the monsters and the ambient really looks nice!

3. puppeteer

puppeteer

Thanks okimoki!

You can always sell assets on ActiveDen. I saw your Arabic buildings they look awesome!

4. okimoki

okimoki

Yeah, i know, thanks, but i just cant find the time to model something usefull :)
    Or better way to put it, i dont have ideas of what to model, what are the most frequently used/asked for objects that people would actualy be interested in ;)

5. GrimWare

GrimWare

Puppeteer great work! Might add this to my Christmas list :)

6. Discord

Discord

wow! that's pretty good!

7. Tudor_n

Tudor_n

Hey Puppeteer, this looks really useful but I have a question or two:

What are you using for the enemies? As in, is it a lookAt/ trigger/ collision based system or are you using A* or another waypoint implementation? (only interested performance wise).

If it's not A* or an expensive raycast system, will the enemies still correctly avoid each other (And the level geo) in a more complex environment or are you just offsetting them based on proximity to eachother?

Sorry if this seems daft, I'm just honestly interested in this but would like to know more of what I'm buying.

8. puppeteer

puppeteer

Thanks for the feedback Okimoki, GrimWare, Discord, and Azzogat :D keep it coming

@Okimoki: The marketplace I sell in also sells 3D models, you can check it out and make some passive income: http://3docean.net/

Join us, awesome modelers are always welcome :D

@Azzogat:

Instead of A* I use a double raycast for each enemy, protruding from its center at an angle. When the left raycast hits a collision the enemy rotates right, and when the right one hits a collision it rotates left. It's a simple approach, but it fits well with the game's functionality.

As for the chasing itself, each enemy checks the angle between itself and the player and rotates left/right based on its own rotation speed. When it gets to a close enough angle, it uses LookAt() to keep track with the player and not jitter too much.

I also tried to put some simple cube obstacles in the game area, and they handled well, moving around the object and chasing the player.

btw, there's a great A* pathfinding Unity project going on, you can find more about it here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/52326-A*-Pathfinding-Project-2.8-beta-is-live!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  9. joel

joel

Great game!
    looking forward to future updates.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  10. drillfoot

drillfoot

Looks like a very good start of a set up of one of my favorite games of all time, "Smash TV"! Nice job, keep it up!

11. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Hey Puppeteer, great work. I bought your package pretty much just for the raycasting obstacle avoidance solution. I've modified it a bit, but it works great! My only problem is the way your doing the rotations is a bit jittery, rather than using lerp/slerp. I tried converting it to lerping/slerping rather than directly modifying the rotation, but I couldn't figure out how to rotate left/rotate right with them... when I slerp rotations normally I'm using it to rotate to a target position, not in a general direction. So if you ever decide to switch it over and you figure it out, let me know :)

12. puppeteer

puppeteer

13. etomp10291

etomp10291

hey puppeteer,

great starter kit, love it so far. Only issue I have is when I add other objects in the scene like barrels, the player walks through them even with a collider added. Any idea how to fix?

Thanks!