Search Unity

Discussion Large project crashing on Vulkan and Quest 2, need some ideas on finding the root cause

Discussion in 'VR' started by PelvisParsley, Sep 4, 2022.

1. PelvisParsley

PelvisParsley

2021.3 LTS, URP 12.7, latest integration and oculus plugin

I have a project thats been in development for over 5 years with my team, made a switch to Vulkan and URP a few weeks ago. In the start I have a loading screen, which loads a second scene containing most of the scripts that are initialized. When the second scene loads, the device freezes and you need to enter sleep mode and back to free it (refreshes the framebuffer I suppose?). Ive intricately looked over the logs and tried several settings to no avail. usually throws internal Vulkan API (submission) call errors after the freeze, but Im not sure what could cause it. Trying to get a backtrace shows a Vulkan render call from unitylib, but Im not sure what part of the codebase causes it, Ive went over it multiple times but cant find any calls that would cause an issue like this. Also something to note, that there are a lot of scripts added to script execution order behind the default time. I cannot move any of them because its a tightly (and poorly) structured project which completely breaks it. I added OVRManager to the start of it but it doesnt seem to fix it.

This happens in both multithreaded rendering and without. What options do I have to find the cause of this?

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Did you disable graphics jobs?
    That's a big issue in 2021 lts
    There also is 1 other crash issue with vulkan currently being looked into by the unity team. I don't know the cause of that one.
    Also check ram and vram usage on the quest maybe.

If that doesn't work maybe stick with OpenGLES if possible

3. PelvisParsley

PelvisParsley

Yes graphics jobs are disabled, and that did reduce crashes in some cases. Unfortunately, I cant make the decision to rollback to OpenGL at the moment.

Can I find the discussion on the bug mentioned by the Unity team anywhere?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  4. DevDunk

DevDunk

5. PelvisParsley

PelvisParsley

6. DevDunk

DevDunk

Sadly oculus is pushing vulkan hardcore with late latching, SpaceWarp, and the new multiview projection technique. Unity just has to catch up with this one