Search Unity

Large meshes from Maya to Unity

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Richard_B, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Richard_B

Richard_B

I am having problems getting a large mesh from Maya to Unity. The mesh displays fine in Maya but gets mangled in Unity. Is there some polygon limit for the FBX importer - the mesh (a terrain) has 125000 triangles?

thanks,
    Richard.

PS The two screen shots are of Unity and Maya7

Attached Files:

2. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

In Unity, meshes can be a max of 65535 triangles. I believe you should see this in the Unity status bar (right noxt to play buttons) when you import.

The solution is to just split the terrain mesh into some bits. Depending on how far you can see in the game, it might make sense to split it into a 4x4 grid, so Unity can cull away a lot of polies when they're behind the player.

3. Richard_B

Richard_B

Doh - stupid me - I had forgotten that OGL has a 65K poly limit. I have reduced it down to 16K and it works fine now.

many thanks,
    Richard.

4. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

do you have any sugestions on how to cut it into a 4x4 grid? Because with Forest I had tried to take a large mesh and break it into 4 smaller meshes but there were obvious seems, I'm asuming this has something to do with the normals and edge smoothing.

5. Richard_B

Richard_B

If you have the Pro ersion you can use the OGL commands to directly set the normals but I think that would be hard work. I think in the long run what is needed for terrains is some sort of LOD system. A simplistic way of implementing it would be to have several meshes each with a larger number of polys in some region, load them all, and then inactivate all the meshes except the one with the hi res polys in the region of the player. Then as the player moves around just change which mesh is active.

Richard.

6. robertseadog

robertseadog

just click an edge, select all in that line, smooth edges..

you can also paint normals in Maya, and edge smoothness..

or you could overlap them and trick us all by using faded alpha on the edges and camuflage (such as dirt, etc)-

thats what I do anyway :roll:

7. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

I'll have to give it a shot :) Jeff