Search Unity

Large Font on Retina Displays Disappears unless I make it much much smaller

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by epit, Sep 16, 2015.

1. epit

epit

I had started working on our app using a non-retina iPad. Everything worked great. We had several large UGUI text components with 230 point text in them. When I tried running it on a Retina iPad, no text showed up.After a lot of trial and error, I discovered that by changing the font size to exactly 190, the text would show on the retina device. If I go to 191 or higher, the text disappears (but it shows on the non-retina iPad). However, the text is too small for the UI design that we already have in place. Is there an explanation for this seemingly weird retina-display related font size issue?

2. geff

geff

Hi, same problem. All text whose font is more than 50 disappear on iPad Air 2 since Unity 5.2.
    No problem on my Nexus 9.

Rectransform on my canvas, scale is very small 0.05 :

upload_2015-9-24_15-4-50.png

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  3. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    Could you please file a bug report?

4. geff

geff

5. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I'm afraid iOS is not my area so cant check. I recall there being discussion about retina issues but I dont know if this is the problem you are having. The workaround was:
    Workaround is to Get Info on Unity in Finder, and check "Open in Low Resolution".

QA will be able to provide much better help when they examine the ticket.

6. epit

epit

I was under deadline, so I found a solution by using TextMeshPro for my large text elements and that fixed the problem for me. It also allowed me to truly center my text vertically in it's container, which I was also having an issue with.