Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Laptop for Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NotReallyAlmost, Aug 28, 2019.

1. NotReallyAlmost

NotReallyAlmost

Would a MacBook Pro (13 inch) work for 2d work in Unity? Or would a Surface Pro 6 be better? (8gb ram)

This is for a high school game design class so I’m not going to be doing anything really advanced. (Though I’d like to experiment in 3D in my own time.)

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

If the most you will be working with are cubes my recommendation is to find the nearest store selling laptops and try typing on a few of them to see how you like the keyboards, move the cursor around with the trackpad for a bit, and see if you can be comfortable on a 13-inch screen.

There is one major advantage that the Surface has over the MacBook Pro. If you want to try your hand at digital artwork the Surface Pro 6 has a touchscreen and stylus. With the MacBook Pro you would have to bring along an additional device to be able to do this.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  3. NotReallyAlmost

NotReallyAlmost

So the Surface could be used by itself for 2d work?

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. I didn't watch any of them (Internet is derping out atm) but there are tons of reviews on YouTube from artists.

5. ikazrima

ikazrima

The surface could be used for 2d work. The downside is that it only has one USB 3.0 type A port. I did used a dongle, but it doesn't necessarily have enough power for my extra devices.

I think you might be better of with a Macbook pro.

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I do a lot of my work on a 13" laptop, it is doable but not ideal (I'm often working on my projects in my car during my lunch break). If you're not space constrained, I'd suggest a slightly larger model.

8GB of RAM is also less than ideal, especially since I'm guessing the laptops you're looking at are taking some of that away for graphics VRAM. But will still be fine for simple projects.

Avoid any machine which doesn't have an SSD.