Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Language system ?

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by Quast, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Quast

Quast

I hope that unity developers make a tool help us to adding more languages to our games. Or do the same as what the movies translator do when it comes to translate any film. Make an one file "SRT" contains ALL dialogues (Start --> End)

Something easy to do. Like Identify all buttons and texts in the scene with numbers referring to text inside it.

2. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Sorry, not on the current plans for 5.5. Requests for features that aren't in the beta should go to the feedback.unity3d.com.

3. orb

orb

You should add this to the feedback section if there isn't already an entry.

I'd like to see UT steal some ideas from the old Unix translation tools. A simple tool extracts the strings and gives them unique identifiers, then you save a copy with a language code and start translating. All extracted strings in the code are replaced with a call to look up the string based on its English version, returning the correct string for whichever language setting is active.

It's not a terribly hard system to make for generic text, but it could get fiddly when translating GUIs, so a built-in solution would be very useful.

Quast likes this.
  4. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Yup, we're aware and some folk built a prototype during one of our hack weeks this year. It's on the long list of things we'd definitely like to get to and wrap up, but it's not yet in the cards.

5. Jouni-Mannonen

Jouni-Mannonen

While I find it mind-boggling that Unity's built in UI elements do not support any kind of string tables, data binding or localization out of box, I do have to say our localization worries were largely gone when we picked up the excellent I2 Localization on the app store. This one lets you change static text components into localized ones by adding the component to the UI textfield and giving the variable an ID, and can do a rough auto-translation of the game with Google Translate and automagically sync the whole thing to a Google Docs Spreadsheet online.

Not a replacement for native support, but we do what we can because we must.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/14884

AlphaVex and Quast like this.