Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Landscape Builder 2 - Procedural Terrains, Weather System, U2018 support and much more

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sstrong, Feb 24, 2016.

1. sstrong

sstrong

What does your Stencil Layer look like?

2. gecko

gecko

Right, shoulda known that would be helpful :/

So what's odd now is that the texture on the stencil was solid white, so I assigned the actual grayscale texture to it again, and ran Generate Heightmap again --- but no difference than before, and it's odd that the material preview panel shows it all white, even though the texture is mostly black....

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 8.20.26 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 8.20.16 AM.png

3. sstrong

sstrong

What you see in the Stencil Layer is the visible colour. When you have lots of stencil layers you might want to assign them colours that make sense to you. It can also help you visualise what's happening and how they interact with each other. However, these colours can be absolutely anything you like. The stencil layer data is stored in a compressed proprietary format which visually probably won't make sense. We use a simple custom shader when the stencil layer is visible which uses the colour you selected. So, in short, yes, changing the colour you see will have zero impact on the filter. This is by design ;)

Using the Stencil Layer as a native filter is the correct way to go (remember, this is 16 bit, while a grayscale "Map" uses 8bit blending).

Seeing the Stencil layer(s) should help us determine what's happening.

4. gecko

gecko

Okay -- I uploaded screenshots of the stencil in my previous post....did you want something else?

5. sstrong

sstrong

The top-down image of the stencil layer.

6. gecko

gecko

In the scene? It's entirely white.

7. sstrong

sstrong

Do you have something like this?

upload_2018-9-14_22-43-11.png

8. gecko

gecko

No, it's solid white:

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 10.41.24 AM.png

9. dl290485

dl290485

Thanks for the help. I have been super busy lately so not much time to work on the terrain or report back here. I still have had some issues but found work arounds.

However one thing; Will you ever be adding a 'heat map' for texturing? Something that puts a highlight on the terrain to show you where your current setttings would have the texture turn up.
    I'm trying to debug some weird textured areas but it's really hard to do with just numbers alone and trying to guess/trial and error find what is merging badly where. What makes things a bit harder is that I'm using CTS Complete Terrain Shader, which can sometimes mean I need to make a change in the terrain editor then re bake the textures in CTS to see the actual difference. That makes the processes off guessing even more of a hassle.

10. sstrong

sstrong

Certainly. It has been on our roadmap for a while but haven't found a good use-case. Any preference on how this should be enabled/disabled in the LB editor?

11. dl290485

dl290485

Maybe so each texture has check box under the option box for 'Texture Mode' is on each. That way it can be toggled on and off and immediately to highlight where the other settings will put the texture (before clicking the render button).
    It may also be helpful if you even have a colour picker too so you can select what colour everything colours in. Basically just removing the texture to put a colour there or extreme tinting it.
    I mentioned I'm using CTS. I actually as part of my 'de bugging' used the tint in that to turn textures full red one by one to see the full extent of where they are (since they are all a bit blended together).The tint shows up instantly in CTS without needing bake/render button.

Basically my issue is the point my hills are converging with the ground there is a sort of frosted/hazy/misty look going on. Things are blending together to make something indistinct. I had to do some digging to see what even was touching the area before I could begin to tweak it away. And yeah, as I did the tints, I was surprised by what was and wasn't in those exact spots.

sstrong likes this.
  12. D3Duck

D3Duck

I've been looking at getting this due to lack of support on my current favourite - TC2. It seems you have a great product here and I only have one question.

In TC2 you can mask out entire biomes that you can create separately and you just drag in a complete biome preset and assign where on the terain you want to use that biome. Is similar functionality available already on LB? For example; could I make a massive terrain with many biomes that are assigned via stencils?

I saw this is possible in the tutorials and manual with individual textures, trees, etc. But I'm really talking about a whole biome assigned to one area.

During runtime a lot of the terain would be disabled of course.

13. sstrong

sstrong

This really depends a lot on how you want your game to work. LB has the option to save all or selective meta-data about a landscape (which is terrain-independent) in a template. Our DemoLoader example included with LB, shows how you can dynamically load these template files. You can also load and save them manually through the editor.

Stencils have landscape-wide stencil layers which can be assigned to restrict where items can be (or not be) placed. This includes textures, grass, trees, prefabs and/or whole groups. Within these areas or regions, further rules can be applied.

Clearing Groups (manually or procedurally placed) can be small (20 cm) or large (2km in diameter) and can include pretty much any kind of prefab as well as control things like ground texturing, grass and trees. Inside Groups you can also assign zones where things can appear (or not appear).

You "could" have multiple landscapes (with a single terrain each) in the scene or a more typically approach is to have all your terrains in that scene within the same landscape.

D3Duck likes this.
  14. D3Duck

D3Duck

Okay that makes sense. Meanwhile I already decided to give this a shot so I'll let you know soon how it goes! If any further questions I'll check back here.

Meanwhile, is there any ETA on further tutorial videos? I always find these help a lot more than manuals as you can really see what is happening.

15. sstrong

sstrong

We recently released a tutorial on Object Paths. We're planning to do another one when we expand this feature with the next phase of enhancements. Right now, we're busy working on GPU acceleration.

D3Duck likes this.
  16. sstrong

sstrong

If you find LB helpful, can I encourage you all to review our product on the asset store. This helps us to keep providing the support we do. We have a lot of new features planned, but we need your help to achieve that.

eaque likes this.
  17. eaque

eaque

?? What ?? Some more? :) What are you thinking of ?

Review posted!

sstrong likes this.
  18. sstrong

sstrong

Roadmap Update

19. sstrong

sstrong

Our new LB Enviro Pack is now available in the asset store.

Click here or just search "Enviro Pack" in the store.

LB_EnviroPk1_KG_163915_16bit.png

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.