Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Landscape Builder - Procedural Terrains, Advanced Prefab System, spline tool, and more

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sstrong, Feb 24, 2016.

1. magique

magique

Have you considered any sort of integration with Cascade?

2. magique

magique

@sstrong Is there a tutorial on how to get the Megasplat integration to work?

[EDIT]
    I thought I saw one the other day, but now I can't find it. I've got Megasplat loaded up and the only thing I can think of to do is play around with the buttons under Megasplat texturing where it has Create / Select Texture Array Config, etc. But it doesn't do anything when I click those buttons.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  3. sstrong

sstrong

There is a section in the manual on page 64 about MegaSplat integration (just click Help on the Landscape tab in the LB editor). It was last tested with MegaSplat v1.5.7 and I notice that they are now on 1.7. Let me know if you run into any issues.

magique likes this.
  4. sstrong

sstrong

@antoripa, are you up for this?

5. sstrong

sstrong

Fixing holes in Real World data

Some real world data sets have holes in it. These values can some times produce ugly effects. For example, here is a GeoTIFF dataset where the missing data is set to maximum values.

upload_2018-9-3_8-51-32.png

In LB 2.0.6 Beta 1h+ we automatically detect this condition and provide a way of dealing with it gracefully.

upload_2018-9-3_8-53-49.png

You might notice that the Max Height for this data is 65535 metres which is quite frankly, ridiculous. So, if you click the second "Fix Now" button above and regenerate the Heightmap, you should now get something more like the following.

upload_2018-9-3_9-41-8.png

The feature is available for immediate download for Beta Program members, or will be in the next release (2.0.6)

6. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Hello

Work it now on existing terrains created with RWT Real World Terrain from infinity code
    are unity terrains

and auto paint texture an existing terrain like at your screenshots looking like real .

terrain 6600x6600 height : 3300 or so .

and:

is there a way use this also in editor moder or set object to shape / flatten terrain when at the script to the object.

need something like your asset for houses / buildings at mountains / hills and roads and so on.

for this problem for example :
    https://i.gyazo.com/41de42fb53c8c05ecd60d2222511d861.png

or know you or anybody here an other asset or good way to tat in editor automatic at every object road building etc where a script with a function us added to automatic shape / flatten.?

regards

7. sstrong

sstrong

You can import existing Unity terrains into LB, and then use the Group System to place prefabs (like buildings, rocks, items with attached scripts etc) into your scene. And of course flatten the terrain under those objects. If you import existing terrains, you can then modify things in the Group System while preserving your original terrains (we store your imported terrains as RAW heightmaps within LB so you can flatten under objects in a non-destructive way).

8. sstrong

sstrong

The following should help:

1. Import LB 2.0.6 Beta 1k+
    2. On Topography tab, Layer 1, repair holes in your source GeoTIFF data: next to extreme values warning, click "Fix Now"
    3. Now, fix the terrain height by clicking the "Fix Now" in Layer 1
    4. Delete (or disabled) all but one Image Subtractive layer
    5. Set the Height Scale to 0.01
    6. Go to your Ocean Stencil in the Hierarchy
    7. In the Inspector for that Stencil duplicate your existing oceandepress layer by clicking the (I)nsert duplicate button (so you don't loose any changes - you can delete it later)
    8. Enable "Show Stencil"
    9. Click the "Paint" button
    10. Turn "Smooth Stength" up to 0.75
    11. Click "Smooth" button (it will take a few moments to smooth your stencil layer)
    12. Click the "Paint" button again to turn it off
    13. Click "Save Maps"
    14. Turn off "Show Stencil" to return to the LB Editor
    15. Switch out the Heightmap Image in your Image Subtractive layer to the one we just created
    16. Increase the Floor Offset in layer 1 to say 30
    17. Adjust the height scale a little in layer 2 to say 0.03, and click "Generate Heightmap"
    18. Add some water from the Landscape tab, and you should see a very smooth beach/sea intersection.

upload_2018-9-3_21-2-19.png

Obviously my standard Unity textures and water is all wrong, but hope you get the idea. You can probably add a Perlin Detail layer to remove some of the smoothness if the beach is now too smooth.

I've included my GeoTIFF settings (Layer 1) and Image Subtractive settings (Layer 2) so that you should be able to repro.

PS: You can simply delete the 3 old "Stencil" stencils under your main Landscape01 folder in the Hierarchy. You don't need those. If you need more stencil layers, just add new layer to your "ocean" stencil, and give the new stencil layer a meaningful name.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  9. sstrong

sstrong

The other alternative is to use a Perlin Subtractive layer with a native Stencil Layer Filter. That saves having to keep saving the map texture from the Stencil each time you make a change.

1. Select a Preset (say Desert Floor Base, because we don't need many features)
    2. Change the Layer Type to "Perlin Subtractive"
    3. Change the Noise Tile Size to approximate the size of your landscape
    4. Reduce the Height Scale to say 0.03
    5. Expand "Curve Modifiers and Filters"
    6. Remove any unwanted modifiers
    7. Add a Layer Filter
    8. Change the type to "Stencil Layer"
    9. Select your "Oceans" Stencil
    10. Select the Stencil Layer
    11. Generate Heightmap
    12. Adjust "Subtractive Amount" (slightly) to change the shape of your water's edge
    Now, just add some nice textures, grass, trees, and other assets (like a beach house, jetty etc), and you have the beginnings of an island playground off the coast of Townsville!

upload_2018-9-3_21-35-24.png

Here's one someone else did a couple of years ago.

10. sstrong

sstrong

magique likes this.
  11. gecko

gecko

I'm thinking of switching over to Landscape Builder from TC2 (thanks for the tip @magique). I have my terrains mostly done in TC2, but some bugs and quirks of it have stymied me, so it may be worth the effort to set things up again in LB. But a couple questions:

1) I'm heavily using grayscale distribution maps for texturing and tree and grass placement (combined with perlin noise to mix textures and models within the white areas of each map). It looks like LB can do the same, right?

2) One thing that TC2 has but which never worked for me was a Cavity filter -- which I wanted to use to apply rock textures to ridgelines and gravel textures to gullies. Does LB have anything to help with that?

3) I'm on a Mac -- any known issues with that?

thanks!
    Dave

magique likes this.
  12. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

thanks when i buy are there documentation or tutorial video how todo it tryed many assest said work on existing but not worked :(

13. sstrong

sstrong

If you go here you can find a link to documentation (120+ pages) and videos.​

14. sstrong

sstrong

We have a Stencil "painter" which can import grayscale images and turn them into layers for filtering things like topography, trees, grass, textures, prefab placement etc. If you send me a copy of one I can test it for you if you like.

You can use Stencil layers for filtering with all the other usual rules like height, inclination, perlin noise etc.

For topography, you can use most of your existing TC2 stamps as a custom Topography Image Modifier layer. We support importing custom 16bit RAW files. You can mix and match with other topography layers so you're not constrained by just "stamping" stuff.

Texturing based on slope orientation is something we've often toyed with (and even stuff like vegetation density based on sun orientation). Humans definitely are more spatially aware than computers! Slope is a little subjective to a computer. But, if you have a use case, we're willing to take another look at it.

We don't have any know issues on Mac but if you see anything, let us know and we'd be happy to investigate.

magique likes this.
  15. gecko

gecko

Thanks, that was good enough for me to buy it and try it out. But I'm having a few problems:

1) I'm using a grayscale image for the base heightmap (originally generated from World Creator, and have been using it with TC2). The image is already normalized, but for some reason, LB is flattening the brighter areas so there's a flat-top on the entire terrain, see screenshot. There's a warning on the LB Topography panel: "The data heights (65329-52+0-65477) does not match your landscape height (936). Click "Fix Now" to adjust the landscape height." I tried clicking Fix Now, but that changes the terrain height to 65477 -- which is what it said it would, of course, but not sure how that would be desirable. I changed the terrain heights back to 936, then tried each Normalize toggles, but those didn't help. Is there a way to get it to use the full grayscale range in my image?

2) Generating a terrain/heightmap (on Topography panel, clicking Generate Heightmap) with a low-rez image is nice and fast, but when I increase that image's import resolution to full rez (8192x8192), then generating takes forever (well, probably not forever, but it was only at 24 of 64 tiles after 15 minutes, so I gave up and force-quit Unity). So I guess LB isn't using Mac Metal's compute shaders? (This takes about 30 seconds on TC2, which does use Metal's Compute shaders.) This obviously is a problem for me. Any plans to add that functionality?

thanks
    Dave
    Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 3.54.45 PM.png

16. sstrong

sstrong

In the Landscape tab, expand Terrain Settings, and set the terrain height to the actual height of your dataset. e.g. 1000 metres. Click "Apply Terrain Settings".
    Then, in the Topography tab, delete your original layer and reimport. Use my settings below and generate the heightmap. For now, ignore both "Fix Now" buttons and warnings. These don't apply to your scenario as your data does appear to actually span the full 65,000 metres. Not entirely sure why it does that. I'd have expect it to only include the actual height in metres like other heightmap TIFF files. Maybe there is some other meta data in these files I'm missing... or else it's just the way WC/TC2 works. Do you know why the data doesn't contain the actual heights?

upload_2018-9-5_13-57-20.png

GPU generation is currently under development.

17. gecko

gecko

Thanks for the reply -- I'm trying to do as shown in your screenshot, but I can't get it to load the TIF image. I deleted both layers, then added a new one, set it to Unity Terrain, and then I choose the TIF image but nothing happens after I select it.

My grayscale heightmap image is exported from World Creator and it works correctly in TC2. I thought that these images used the entire grayscale gradient, which the tool then normalized across the specified height of the terrain. How could that contain any data about meters? It's just an image file. Seems like all you need is the grayscale data and the terrain height, and then just voila, it should look correct, so obviously I'm not understanding something about how LB works...

Any ETA on GPU generation? If it's going to be months, then I don't need to spend more time figuring this out.

thanks
    Dave

Attached Files:

18. magique

magique

I would think so as well. According to the documentation on the Normalize option it should take whatever the low and high values are from the image file and map them to the low high values of the terrain. So if terrain low point is 0 and image low point is 5 then 5 gets remapped to 0. If terrain high is 900 and image file high is 65000 then 65000 gets mapped to 900. And everything in between is interpolated. At least that's how the docs seem to define the behavior. If so then I would think there's a bug in there somewhere.

19. sstrong

sstrong

Delete the layer, then click TIFF to import the file (the new layer will get added for you).

20. sstrong

sstrong

(Geo)TIFF data typically stores the 16bit or 32bit image data with values that represent height in metres. However, your data is simply a gradient using all 0-65535. So you just need to set the terrain(s) on the Landscape tab as described above to the actual height of your dataset. Then import the TIFF file (which will create the layer for you). No need to normalise etc. If you leave the terrain height at 64K metres things won't look right. A real landscape is in 100s or 1000s of metres.

21. gecko

gecko

Right, that's what I did yesterday. But I'm confused about the Topography Layers: If Layer 1 is set to Unity Terrain (as it seems like it must be), then I'm unable to add the TIF image to that layer. So yesterday I added Layer 2 and assigned the tIF to that -- but then got the problems with the flattop. So now I've changed Layer 1's Layer Type to Image Base and assigned the TIF -- and now that does the trick.

So back to the GPU generation question -- have you got an ETA on that?

22. digitalzombie

digitalzombie

Hello,

Does LB include any type of run-time streaming support (terrain, objects, etc) around a player character or is there such an asset complimentary to LB that you would recommend?

Thanks,
    DZ

23. magique

magique

Just a thought, but maybe if you sent the file to @sstrong then he might be able to pinpoint the issue quickly.

24. gecko

gecko

Thanks for the suggestion, @magique, but I did get it basically working.

I'm getting severe stair-stepping on the terrain, but I figured that was just because the grayscale image was only 2048x2048. So I changed the import size to full rez (8192) and regenerated the terrain -- took 45 minutes, hence my questions about GPU Generation -- but there was actually no change or improvement. Still very bad stair-stepping. The terrain heightmap rez is 1025, so that's not the issue. Then I tried increasing the Interpolation Smoothing to 2, and I do see some effect from that, but it's pretty minor (as it should be, really).

So it seems like something is causing the stair-stepping. Are there any settings which I can try tweaking for this? I guess it sorta looks like the grayscale image is being treated like a 256-color file instead of a 65000-color file. The import settings for the grayscale image is 24bit RGB.

25. magique

magique

I believe there is a way to fix all that, but I'm not sure how. I don't have the need to import heightmap images in my workflow so I've never tried it. I'm also very new to the program. I'm sure @sstrong will be able to help though.

26. magique

magique

27. sstrong

sstrong

Roadmap Update

It's been a while since we made one of these. Here is our current priority list. We have a HUGE roadmap with many things in the research phase but for now, unless you tell us, this is where we're currently heading. Apart from many other small improvements, this is what we're currently working on.

GPU acceleration
    Walking tracks, roads, creeks, streams within Groups
    Stencils within Groups
    Group Zones as polygons
    New Unity prefab system support
    More feature support for HDRP and LWRP

As features move to beta, we'll generally announce them in the Beta Program forum.

eaque and magique like this.
  28. sstrong

sstrong

• In Hierarchy delete old landscape (this is a test, don't delete any production landscapes!)
    • Go to Landscape tab
    • Set Landscape Size 16000x16000 and Terrain width 2000 (this will then create 64 terrains)
    • Set Terrain Height to somethings sensible like 2000 and terrain res to 1025
    • Generate Landscape
    • On Topography tab, Click "TIFF" button
    • Navigate to your TIF file and click "Open"
    • Now click Generate Heightmap
    • Whole process using your 8K TIFF file (131MB) took less than 1 minute
    For TIFF files as your only topography layer, GPU acceleration won' help much. The above actual topography generation phase on my 3yr old Win10 PC took 12.16 seconds. You can turn on timing on the Advanced tab.

upload_2018-9-6_7-52-16.png

We have already optimised Topography gen for (Geo)TIFF files on the CPU. However, this doesn't apply to other layer types (which is why we're currently working on GPU acceleration). The slowest bit of the current process for TIFF is backing up the current data to disk. So for you, topography generation shouldn't be an issue.

If you use the above process it will use the high-res data in the TIFF file. If you try importing 16bit data into an Image Layer, you'll get the stepping AND it will be slow. You could use the final pass Smoothing with an Image Layer but using the TIFF input method is a MUCH better option.

NOTE: There can always only be 1 "Unity Terrains" layer. It will automatically become Layer 1 (this is by design). If you need to reimport, just delete the Unity Terrains layer and click "TIFF" button to reimport. Then generate the heightmap.

BTW - if you use 32bit GeoTIFF files (rather than simple grayscale TIFF, we've tested up to 2GB file sizes).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  29. sstrong

sstrong

Streaming is still in the "research" phase for LB. Any other streaming package that doesn't have to move the terrain objects to its own folder structure should work fine. We output directly to standard Unity terrains. We haven't tested enough streaming assets to make an informed judgement. Maybe others can comment.

30. sstrong

sstrong

Here is a video of our latest addition to the Landscape Builder "stable". It should be in the store soon.

Here is the link to the forum.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  31. gecko

gecko

@sstrong Thanks much for that detailed sequence. I followed it and it worked perfectly! And heightmap generation is not unduly slow with the 8192 image. I guess I got messed up before with the Topography layers, but now I can't figure out what could've confused me, it seems quite straightforward :/ So thanks for walking me through it.

So now I'm working on texturing. I've assigned my terrain textures and then assigned a control map to the first three textures. When I click Texture Landscape, it spins for a couple minutes, but there are no textures painted on the terrain after it finishes. Here's one of the textures with a control map -- can you see what I am doing wrong?

Also: In what order are textures painted -- from top to bottom of the texture list, or bottom to top?

thanks!
    Dave

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 4.07.19 PM.png

sstrong likes this.
  32. sstrong

sstrong

Sorry about any confusion. We try to keep our manual up to date (click Help on the Landscape tab), and endeavour to make new tutorials with the release of major features. However, we've discovered:

1. No-one reads manuals
    2. When they do they can't find the information they need
    3. Our tutorials are out of date a few weeks after we release them because our team is constantly developing new features to satisfy customer requests.

Textures are placed in the order they appear in the list (top to bottom) and then blended. In your larger landscape, LB Maps probably aren't going to work well for you. They pre-date our Stencil feature and are, to be honest, a little slow. Stencil use our proprietary 16bit compression system for efficiency and speed. They also use 16bit blending (LB Maps only use 8bit blending).

Our Stencil tutorial doesn't include importing layers and it says you should "Save Maps". Ignore the Save Maps, because you'll want to directly reference the Stencil Layer when Texturing, adding Grass, Trees, Groups etc. by using the Filter functionality. Currently we only import external "maps" into Stencil Layers as PNG files. This may be an issue for you, so if you send us an example of your "distribution maps" we can make sure we support those too.

You can find some of our tutorials here.

Here is a very old basic tutorial on texturing (it's missing A LOT of functionality but it will provide an overview).

33. sstrong

sstrong

We have improve compatibility when importing heightmap TIFF files from products like World Creator.

upload_2018-9-7_10-2-26.png

NOTE: This doesn't apply to the meta-data rich GeoTIFF files. For GeoTIFF "Is Source Normalised" should be off.

magique likes this.
  34. gecko

gecko

Thanks for the tips -- I have been reading the manual but it's VERY detailed and it can sometimes be hard to find the what I need at the moment.

I'm trying to figure out how to make the terrain in one area steeper -- nearly vertical cliffs (which I'll then place meshes in front of). I tried adding a Subtractive Layer but it didn't seem to do anything. I had thought I would paint a stencil along the cliffs but it doesn't look like you can use Stencils with Topography layers?

35. sstrong

sstrong

Here is a video tutorial on Stencils with and example of using them as a filter with Topography Layers. It's (already) out of date, as explained above, but it should help.

It you watch the Topography 2 tutorial, that should help explain how additive and subtractive layers work. Remember, if you want to restrict where a layer applies to the landscape, use a (Stencil) Filter where possible.

36. gecko

gecko

Okay, sorry, I'm a bit averse to 20+ minute tutorial videos, but I sat down with a cup of coffee and watched these, and yes, they are very helpful indeed :) LB is a very impressive tool!

So I'm trying to make these steep cliffs -- see screenshot -- I can get some steepening with this Layer, but I have to push the Height Scale to 1 to get a strong effect, but it's very Minecrafty....any tips on how to get a sheer dropoff, then some canyon-like tiers below that? I modified the Curve for that as you can see, but it isn't doing what I want.

cliffs.jpg

thanks
    Dave

sstrong likes this.
  37. gecko

gecko

Also: I use MicroSplat and am trying to assign that on my terrains -- I can assign my MS material to the Landscape inspector settings, but each terrain also needs the MS Terrain component. Initially I did add that to a few terrain tiles and synced them, but now the inspector panel on all terrains is uneditable, so I can't do that. It would be really nice if LB automatically added and synced the MS Terrain component....but in the short term, is there any way to make this work?

38. gecko

gecko

One more thing: I've set up six textures and some rules and stencils (imported from my distribution map pngs). Some of them work, but some do not -- for example, here I have texture 2 set to cover the entire map but at very low strength, with a noise pattern, and then texture 3 to be painted only within a stencil area -- but what I get is texture 2 painted solid across the entire area, without any of texture 3 whatsoever. Can you see what I might be doing wrong?
    texture list.png

thx
    Dave

39. sstrong

sstrong

Check out the MegaSplat Integration section of the manual. Should be around page 61.

40. gecko

gecko

That works for MicroSplat too? They're different tools entirely, don't see how it would....

41. sstrong

sstrong

Oh, sorry, no. Would you like us to add MicroSplat support?

42. sstrong

sstrong

One technique is to use a Perlin Subtractive layer with a (smoothed) Stencil.
    1. Create a Stencil Layer called say "Cliff1"
    2. For large landscapes you might want to increase the Stencil Layer Resolution from the default.
    3. In the Stencil (see below) turn Smoothing up to 1 and click "Smooth" button. See Stencil tutorial if required - Note: smoothing will apply to all enabled layers. The higher the Stencil Layer Resolution the slower smoothing will be in the editor. We're looking to fix this with GPU acceleration in a future release.
    4. On the Topography tab in the Landscape Editor, add a new Layer and change Layer Type to Perlin Subtractive
    5. Set the Height Scale, Subtractive Amount and Remove Base Noise as shown below
    6. Expand "Curve Modifiers and Filters"
    7. Delete any Per Octave Curve Modifiers
    8. Add an Output Curve Modifier (the default is fine)
    9. Add a Layer Filter
    10. Change Filter type to "Stencil Layer"
    11. Add your Stencil from the scene
    12. Select the Stencil Layer (the first one is auto-selected)
    13. Generate Heightmap

upload_2018-9-10_8-1-53.png upload_2018-9-10_8-2-18.png

If required, you can smooth a Stencil Layer multiple times. However, in your case I don't think it is required.

43. gecko

gecko

That would be great!

StevenPicard and Willbkool_FPCS like this.
  44. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I agree that Microsplat makes a lot of sense. The base asset is free and immediately enables the creation of great looking terrain and has some really great modules that I'd like to see supported, as well. For straight terrain, I think it's a better choice than Megasplat (although, that is a great product.)

magique likes this.
  45. sstrong

sstrong

I've spoken to Jason, should have something in beta Real Soon Now.

StevenPicard and magique like this.
  46. sstrong

sstrong

MicroSplat integration with Landscape Builder is now ready for testing. See here for details.

upload_2018-9-11_12-11-31.png

gecko and StevenPicard like this.
  47. sstrong

sstrong

Done :)

StevenPicard, magique and gecko like this.
  48. magique

magique

Now that's some serious AAA support.

StevenPicard likes this.
  49. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I agree!

50. gecko

gecko

Thanks for these instructions. I've followed them exactly, but the terrain simply seems to be reduced in height across the entire thing, not only in the stencil area. (I tested that by changing the Height Scale to 1.25 and the entire terrain was basically flattened.)

Here's my Topography inspector -- anything wrong there?

thanks
    Dave

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 5.02.46 PM.png

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018