Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Landscape Builder - Procedural Terrains, Advanced Prefab System, spline tool, and more

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sstrong, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

Hi, I'm having a problem, not from LB, but I imported Dissonance, a chat asset, and Mirror, a networking asset, and Dissonance for Mirror. One or more of those caused LB, and Weathermaker, to not show up under the Window menu. The LB tab also disappeared. LB is still in the project, so is there a way to open the LB editor from the project window?

2. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I'd check the console logs. Most likely there are scripting errors caused from importing one of those assets. Compile errors can prevent editors from running.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  3. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

I did, but nothing related to LB, but there were several errors from Weathermaker and Mirror. I deleted all three and the WM errors were still there, so now am deleting WM and going to re-import it and see what happens. :eek:

4. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

There were so MANY Mirror scripting defines, even after deleting. But re-importing WM seemed to have done the trick. What I'll do is after completing my terrain 100%, then I will add Mirror and Dissonance and not worry about it. :confused:

5. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Even if the errors are not related to another asset it can prevent all editors from working.

sstrong likes this.
  6. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

Yeah, this happened before, where LB and WM disappeared from the Window menu, but WM was able to work from the hierarchy.

7. sstrong

sstrong

Unity requires all Editor-related errors to be resolved before it will correctly run editor scripts from any asset (including LB). It is possible the WM only uses Inspectors not Editor windows. You might have found some of the inspector components of LB were still working too - but that won't help if none of the Editors work. Your only real option was to resolve the errors from the other packages first - that's just how Unity works and we have no control over that.

When importing a new package I often will build a new (test) project and make sure it works correctly before adding to a Production project.

Willbkool_FPCS and StevenPicard like this.
  8. eaque

eaque

Hi,

Sorry to bother with a question that is not related to LB but do you know what causes this:
    each time i modifiy the terrain with some hand sculpting like set height..i have those black pixels.
    I texture with VSpro and it gives me this issue....

thanks for your help
    cheers
    upload_2020-10-2_11-46-51.png upload_2020-10-2_11-46-51.png

9. sstrong

sstrong

Hmm, interesting. I think I have seen something like that before in Unity. If it comes to me, I'll let you know what was the cause.

BTW if you want to texture a path using LB, you can use an Object Path in the Groups tab, then set the texture options on the Surface tab.

eaque likes this.
  10. eaque

eaque

thanks for your prompt reply (as usual), of course i asked on Vspro discord, i'll let you know for info.

and YES, object path texturing is perfect, no more pixels...:)
    btw i know it was an old update but the ability to change the resolutions of the heightmap real easily is fantastic to me. Really helped me a lot!
    thanks!

sstrong likes this.
  11. sstrong

sstrong

We currently have some bundle and upgrade deals.

LB_SSC_Bundle1950x1300.png

12. sstrong

sstrong

Coming in Landscape Builder v2.3.3

A customer recently had a problem placing gates or unique prefabs along a procedurally generated Object Path. So we added this new feature:

upload_2020-10-12_14-27-33.png

It works with Select Methods of Alternating and any of the 3 Random selection methods. Currently we support up to 10 fixed placement positions per main member.

13. sstrong

sstrong

Here is a revised demo scene made with Landscape Builder. We replaced the default trees with some speed trees, tweaked the lighting with LB Lighting, modified the LB Camera Animator speed curve, and made a build with Unity 2020.2 beta 6.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    eaque likes this.
  14. eaque

eaque

1st view on youtube:p quite early this morning!!

sstrong likes this.
  15. sstrong

sstrong

upload_2020-10-14_15-44-26.png

Version 2.3.3 includes the following updates and is now in the Asset Store

[NEW] Vegetation Studio Pro integration - imported unity terrain grass uses persistent storage
    [NEW] Vegetation Studio Pro integration - selectable default biome for the landscape
    [NEW] Groups - Object Path Width-based Series can include fixed positions for some prefabs
    [FIXED] MicroSplat Integration - error when upgrading to MicroSplat 3.5 or newer
    [IMPROVED] Topography - memory management with multiple layers (GPU)
    [IMPROVED] Topography - GPU smoothing supports 4K heightmaps
    [IMPROVED] Importing Texturing, Trees, Grass - can quickly (re)import if required
    [IMPROVED] Stencils - display uncommitted changes warning when painting

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    eaque likes this.
  16. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Just finished my latest project, a classical music video called "By the Brook" using Landscape Builder 2.
    Thought I'd share it with everyone. This was developed throughout the pandemic as a form of relaxation.The music and scene were both began in February when everything was getting shut down. The music (composed by my wife) was finalized in late September and the scene was finally completed this week.

The goal was to take a few minutes and relax and let all of the world's trouble pass you by and just have a few minutes of peace before you have to get back to reality. I hope you enjoy the escape.

EMG_beta, blacksun666, eaque and 3 others like this.
  17. sstrong

sstrong

Fantastic - Looks and sounds great! Well done, the both of you.

18. sstrong

sstrong

Feel free to promote it on our lb-showcase Discord Channel.

19. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thank you so much! Both our hearts went into it.

I’ll get over to Discord and post it there as well. Thanks for your support and for your wonderful asset! :)

20. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

This is absolutely fantastic! Great work both of you! I love it.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  21. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

22. eaque

eaque

Very Impressive!! Great looking with great colors ! Very artistic! I would like to walk along this river!!!
    The music is great too!
    Amazing job guys!!! We want some more!!

dsilverthorn likes this.
  23. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thank you very much!! :D

eaque likes this.
  24. sstrong

sstrong

You should put together a Case Study for Unity. I'm sure others would benefit from your approach to making this video. The way the music and the camera work come together is pretty special.

eaque and dsilverthorn like this.
  25. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I’d be glad to help in any way. We are honored to be a part of bringing beauty to everyone.

Teresa is working on a new piece of music right now. And we are going over ideas for our next video. We are both artists and musicians so it does help in putting the pieces together.

If you have any ideas, please let me know, we would to love hear your thoughts on this.

eaque and sstrong like this.
  26. sstrong

sstrong

I sent you a msg on Discord

dsilverthorn likes this.
  27. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Heading there now

28. sstrong

sstrong

Unity have released version 2020.2 in the last few days. Although the latest store version of Landscape Builder 2.3.3 pre-dates this, it still should work fine.

Please let us know if you see any issues.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  29. PolyMad

PolyMad

Hi,

I was working on a terrain yesterday, then I finished for that day and closed the project.
    Now I reopened the project, select the main node of the terrain, and LB doesn't find it as an editable object.

30. sstrong

sstrong

Do you have a screen shot? You should be able to just drag the landscape parent game object into the LB Editor window (on the Landscape tab). Which version of Unity are you using?

I'm assuming you saved the scene before closing the project (if Auto Save wasn't enabled on the LB Advanced tab).

31. PolyMad

PolyMad

Ahhh! So much time not using it, I forgot the workflow!
    Yes of course the scene was saved.
    I just forgot that I had to "select" the terrain to edit by dragging it on LB.

sstrong likes this.
  32. PolyMad

PolyMad

OK another question: the populate with mesh tool doesn't seem to be working.
    Is there any special format/quirk to be aware of, to make the object positioning work?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  33. sstrong

sstrong

Is this the Groups tab? Are you wanting to add prefabs to your landscape? e.g. buildings, fences, walls, rocks etc? If so, there are some great tutorials - just go to Tutorials on the Groups tab.
    Or is it something simple like you didn't set the height range for say prefabs in a Uniform or Procedural Group?

The fastest way to test this is go to the Groups tab, create a Uniform Group, drag a prefab into the first Group Member, like the demo cottage, and populate the landscape.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  34. sstrong

sstrong

Here's a quick test
    upload_2020-12-18_7-9-5.png

35. PolyMad

PolyMad

I started by just wanting to scatter a simple object, so I used the MESH/PREFAB tab.
    I'll watch the tutorials though.

36. sstrong

sstrong

Yeah, the mesh/prefab system is legacy and has been replaced in v2.x with the much more powerful (and faster) Groups system. It's there for backward compatibility only.

37. Nilpfi

Nilpfi

Hi,
    I have just puchased landscape builder and I am very glad about the intuitive approach to landscape design. However, I have troubles to set up RTP (Relief Terrain Pack). The Material in LB TerrainSettings is always set back to "Build In Standard", if I press start. I have hit the "Apply Terrain Settings" button, activated Tesselation check box and applied "Show Texture Heightmap" checkbox.
    I have added the RTP engine to each terrain component.
    The material on the terrains themselves is Landscape01TerrainMaterial. Changing RTP settings does not show any effect. If I change the terrain material to a RTP material, the RTP sliders start to work.
    I would be glad to get some hints.
    Thanks, I am looking forward to explore the futher possibilities of LB.
    Windows 7, Unity 2019.3.4f1 (64-bit), RTP 3.3q, LB 2.3.3

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  38. sstrong

sstrong

RTP can be a little tricky to setup sometimes with LB. Can you try the exact steps in a new scene as listed in the manual (click Help on the Landscape tab)?
    The section in the manual is called "Relief Terrain Pack Integration" on page 69. It is also possible something isn't working correctly with your combination. If you can try the steps mentioned first that would be great. Once we have the basic configuration working with RTP then we can see what's happening in your scenario.

Also, do you get any LB errors or warnings in the Unity console when you click "Apply Terrain Settings"?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  39. sstrong

sstrong

We did find an issue with U2019.2+ and RTP 3.3q. Hopefully, this is now fixed and a patch is available via the Beta Program. You can either join up by private messaging me you Unity invoice number and email address (it is free to existing customers) or wait until the next release.

The fix requires LB 2.3.4 Beta 1b or newer.

40. sstrong

sstrong

Using RTP with multiple terrains requires a different material for each terrain in the landscape.

Extra steps required when the landscape has multiple terrains and RTP is enabled.
    1. In the Unity Editor Project pane, expand “LandscapeBuilder” then “Materials”
    2. Locate the folder called “_[scene name]” and expand it.
    3. Duplicate the [Landscape Name]TerrainMaterial so that you have the number of materials that match the number of terrains (if you have 4 terrains, you’ll need 3 duplicate materials plus the original one)
    4. In the Unity Editor Hierarchy pane, expand the Landscape parent gameobject
    5. Select the second terrain (e.g., LandscapeTerrain0001)
    6. In the Unity Inspector under “Terrain” click the “Terrain Settings” gear icon
    7. Replace the “Material” (e.g., [LandscapeName]TerrainMaterial) with the first duplicate material (e.g., [LandscapeName]TerrainMaterial 1)
    8. Repeat steps 5-7 with the other terrains and materials

41. sstrong

sstrong

Converting MapPaths to Group Object Paths

Group Object Paths give you more control over modifying Topography AS WELL as being able to position different prefabs (objects) along the path. This means that they can be the perfect replacement to the older MapPath feature.

We make it easy to import MapPath data in Group Object Paths. Here's how:
    1. Add Group (by default it is a Uniform or landscape-wide Group)
    2. Change the Member to an Object Path (by clicking on the "O" icon)
    3. Click "Points" tab then the "Get" button
    4. Set the "Source Map Path" to your MapPath from the scene
    5. If you are using MapPaths as Topography Layers, you can simply turn these off in the Topography Tab.
    Now you can Edit Object Path and/or add prefabs with an Object Series or two, configure Surface texturing, meshes etc.

For more info on Groups, click the link to the "Tutorials" on the "Groups" tab.

42. sstrong

sstrong

upload_2021-1-12_17-40-20.png

Landscape Builder v2.3.4 is now available in the Asset Store and includes the following updates:
    • [NEW] Topography MapPath Layers - option to Subtract Height when type is Flatten
    • [FIXED] RTP Integration - CombineNormals Due to: Attempted to access a missing member
    • [IMPROVED] Camera Animator - add note about Fade-In using LB Lighting
    • [IMPROVED] Topography - Can switch Volume Picker on Image Modifier Layers with single click
    • [IMPROVED] Topography - Image Modifier picker estimates Use Blending values
    • [IMPROVED] Support for RTP 3.3q

dsilverthorn likes this.
  43. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

We just completed final editing to our latest video, "Apollo's Dream", and it will be coming soon to our YouTube channel.

Apollo's Dream video coming soon.jpg

sstrong likes this.
  44. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

45. sstrong

sstrong

StevenPicard likes this.
  46. sstrong

sstrong

This has all really come together well. Great job!

StevenPicard and dsilverthorn like this.
  47. sstrong

sstrong

Stencils - Negative layer option (coming in Landscape Builder v2.3.5)

upload_2021-1-25_15-5-32.png

This new button will reverse or invert the data in a Stencil Layer. This is helpful when you want to use one or more NOT stencil layer filters but your current layer(s) contain the opposite of what you want to exclude. Simply flip the data in your layer, and you're done. And if you change your mind later, just flip it back by hitting the Negative button again (no need to repaint your whole stencil layer).

You can also use the (I)nsert button to duplicate a layer, and then make the duplicate a (N)egative layer. Now you have both options available for filters.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  48. sstrong

sstrong

Landscape Builder - EasyRoads3D Integration

LB_ER3_Integration1.png

Here is a trivial example where I created a road in ER3, then imported the spline into a LB Object Path in the Groups system using the LB Path Importer.

I then procedurally added the barriers (included in LB 2.3.5) to the right hand edge of the road with zero offset. I could have added the barrier as a single Group Member, but for fun I created a SubGroup which included a post (SubGroups can be any group of prefabs with all their own placement rules). The barriers are aligned with the terrain while the posts stand upright. Then I added some texture along the side of the road.

upload_2021-1-27_9-47-49.png

I could have created the roadway all in the Groups system, but this solution helps you mix and match the best features from both Landscape Builder and EasyRoads3D.

NOTE: EasyRoads3D lets you create whole road networks

49. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Awesome news!
    Thank you!

50. sstrong

sstrong

To complement the LB Path Importer, we also support importing LB Map Path and R.A.M splines directly in Group Object Paths. Additionally, points can be copied between Object Paths using the LB Copy Buffer (Cp and Get buttons).

upload_2021-1-27_12-19-40.png