Search Unity

Landscape Builder - Procedural Terrains, Advanced Prefab System, spline tool, and more

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sstrong, Feb 24, 2016.

1. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

That did it.
    I deleted it once, it was the first thing I did- following the directions on VSP, but I didn't wait for Unity to catch up and closed the player settings.:rolleyes:
    So when I tried again after your help, I did it again and VS was still there. Then I waited and it reset and removed it.
    Problem solved!
    I will post some screenshots for you once I get VSP up and running.

2. sstrong

sstrong

upload_2020-2-13_18-54-6.png

Version 2.2.5 is now available on the Asset Store. It includes:

[FIXED] LBIntegration.cs(5735,60): warning CS0618: 'Terrain.materialType' is obsolete
    [FIXED] Cannot move terrain data to a project folder when Vegetation Studio / Pro is installed
    [FIXED] Templates - MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'Texture2D' is destroyed
    [IMPROVED] MicroSplat integration - support for Unity 2019.2+ and imported terrains
    [IMPROVED] Create a new landscape when importing a Template (or from the Template Editor)

docsavage likes this.
  3. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Some shots from my work in progress. Designed with World Creator and put together with Landscape Builder. :) 2020-Feb-02_174615.png 2020-Feb-02_183717.png 2020-Feb-02_184013.png 2020-Feb-02_184223.png

4. eaque

eaque

Hi LB team! It's been a while!:)

You know i love LB and i have a little question:

I use raw maps a lot and i "stamp" them with image modifiers!. I have 2 thoughts:
    -1 i would love to choose the "blending radius" of the raw map. When i choose "blend" there is no option and i loose a lot of data. Only the very center is stamped. It's a great feature but would need more control on those blending masks.
    Am i missing something?
    I would like to simply get rid of the edges of the map to blend it properly

-2 maybe i'm wrong but i see only 1 main mask in Lb at the bottom that will be applied to all the topography i insert...? true or not?
    Is there a way to add blend masking for each topography element??

3-Little opinion, i think the preview shader of a modifier "orange wiredframed" is not very clear and hard to distinguish, is it possible to add another shader? more solid to visualize the shape?

thanks in advance

BanicaTom and dsilverthorn like this.
  5. sstrong

sstrong

1. We'll see if we can add some more blend options for Image Modifiers
    2. Correct, currently masks are a post-layer operation
    3. We'll see if we can improve this

dsilverthorn and eaque like this.
  6. sstrong

sstrong

upload_2020-3-13_22-24-6.png

These options will be available in Landscape Builder 2.2.6 or newer. They are also available in the latest Beta. The default is still the orange wire frame but now there is more choice.

eaque and dsilverthorn like this.
  7. sstrong

sstrong

We've added some new blending options. You can check them out in our Beta Forum here.

8. magique

magique

Best support ever.

9. eaque

eaque

So where to start??? Thank you so so much !!:)
    Like said above, BEST support ever!!!! and magique and i have gone thru a lot of assets ....
    I can't even believe this happened that quick!!

Take care of you in this period guys!

10. sstrong

sstrong

Unity Supported Versions Announcement

As you may know, Unity have recently dropped support for Unity 2017.4 LTS. The minimum version they now support is 2018.4 LTS.

The next release of Landscape Builder will support Unity 2018.4.3f1 (LTS) or newer. We will also endeavour to help anyone who is testing on the latest Unity 2020.1 Beta.

If you are still using Unity 2017.4 LTS and cannot upgrade, please let us know.

dsilverthorn, eaque and StevenPicard like this.
  11. sstrong

sstrong

upload_2020-4-28_12-20-22.png

[NEW] Topography Image Modifier Layers - option to change the appearance of volume picker
    [NEW] Topography Image Modifier Layers - flexible terrain blending options
    [NEW] Topography Image Modifier Layer - mountains from Jordon and Saudi Arabia
    [FIXED] Version title is not refreshed correctly in the editor
    [IMPROVED] Support for Sci-Fi Ship Controller integration

Version 2.2.6 has been submitted to Unity for approval.

12. sstrong

sstrong

While doing some testing with LB and U2020.1 Beta I applied the wrong Template file to my landscape and ended up with a few too many trees...

upload_2020-6-22_21-5-36.png

Not exactly what I had in mind, but I guess it "works".

docsavage, BanicaTom, eaque and 3 others like this.
  13. Hungry-Lion

Hungry-Lion

Hello there,

I have a problem when using landscape builder, flickering terrain. Help? Please?

14. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Try tinkering with the shadow bias on your camera. I've run into this and adjusting the bias settings helped.

I have since switched to another shadow system (NGSS) to help resolve this issue. It is a Unity thing and not a Landscape builder issue.

Hungry-Lion and sstrong like this.
  15. Hungry-Lion

Hungry-Lion

Thanks, increasing the bias on the directional light object resolved it, since your are an environmental artist, can you tell me how this affects performance in the long run? All my areas are fragmented, not really open world, like Final fantasy XII or X.

I also found that this was a problem by having close clipping lane on the camera, I increased it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  16. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks and I'm glad it helped.

I work mainly in landscapes and open world, so someone else might better answer for your situation.
    The performance side does have issues, but to be honest I don't have those solutions.
    I switched over to NGSS (next gen soft shadows) when it was on sale because they said it would help this issue and be better on performance. It seems to work but I'm still designing and haven't played with it much, but I do like it better than Unity and performance does seem better. But I am also doing large outside world environments. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

David

Hungry-Lion likes this.
  17. Hungry-Lion

Hungry-Lion

Nah its ok I am leaning towards your suggestion of NGSS too, I am a little short on cash now but I will keep an eye on it.
    Thanks for your help.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  18. Hungry-Lion

Hungry-Lion

I want to ask another question though for this asset. I see we can use a slider to "control" the time of day somehow. Could we make a day/night cycle? Is there a script included already? If not how can you control it, get the component inside a script in order to make it? Any help would be welcome.

19. sstrong

sstrong

If you are using the built-in Render Pipeline (not LWRP, URP or HDRP) you can use LB Lighting. There are details in the manual.

There is also a tutorial video here

Hungry-Lion likes this.
  20. BanicaTom

BanicaTom

Hi, I have been reviewing Landscape Builder. Very nice product! I have not actually used it yet, so perhaps this is already possible and I have simply missed it. Groups and Zones are a great combination (especially with procedural/manual placement. From what I saw in the videos/documentaton, I think it can be made better still!

1. (Easy!) in the video at least on my monitor, when adding a zone within a group, it was a bit hard to see the outline of the active zone. If there were (and perhaps there already is?) a way for individual users to change the color/thinkness/fill of the currently active zone, it would be a great help.

2. (A bit more work involced). Currently the zones are either circular or rectangular. It would be so nice to be able to adjust/fine tune the zone area (this applies to group areas also!). Perhaps start with the circle/rectangle but then allow adjustments. Something like this:

upload_2020-6-27_13-9-36.png

3. This is an addition to #2. In a tutorial video showing placement of barrels by using zones within a a group, a circular zone and a rectangular zone were created.

#2 above could eliminate the need for two zones....start with the circular or rectangular and then adjust its coverage area.

However if the areas are non-coniguous, one is looking at potentialls several zones to populate the same prefab. What if I have a town and I want barrels to be placed in 6 or 7 locations (and ONLY 6 or 7 locations). Must I create 6 or 7 zones for barrels? I am not sure what the technological difficulty would be, but it would be nice to have ONE zone called "Barrels" and then all 6 or 7 areas would be attached to it. Perhaps "sub-zones" would be a possibility to handle this?

This coupled with (the currently active zone being filled/shaded) would be a very nice addition to precise placement of prefabs.

Attached Files:

dsilverthorn likes this.
  21. sstrong

sstrong

Being able to configure the colour of each different outline type in the Group Designer isn't such a bad idea.

We've thought of adding pologon zones to groups for some time now. However, the maths is extreme given that we can also have rotatable individual groups and even subgroups within groups all containing zones etc. Then there is edge blending of zones for textures and grass (detail). AND it needs to be backward compatible - we have a strong belief that we shouldn't just break people's projects when people upgrade.

However, it does bring me to sub-groups. These give you a lot of flexibility within manual or procedural clearing groups. I think they also work in Object Paths within Uniform Groups.

BanicaTom and eaque like this.
  22. sstrong

sstrong

Version 2.3.0 has been released

This is now in the Asset Store and includes the following updates since 2.2.6:

[NEW] Topography Image Modifier Layer - 4 mountains/valleys from Egypt
    [NEW] Texturing - Relink Button (find missing textures in asset database)
    [NEW] Landscape Terrain Settings - relink terrain data files after moving Project folder
    [FIXED] Groups - NullReferenceException when switching from Prefab to Object Path
    [FIXED] Groups - ArgumentOutOfRangeException when refreshing an inactive Object Path member
    [FIXED] Links to Turboscalpeur, MegaSplat asset pages
    [FIXED] Turboscalpeur grass asset paths may not update correctly in Advanced tab
    [FIXED] Clean up undo files should not be available when an object path is being edited
    [FIXED] LB Manager - some editor content in LibTIFF folder may not be removed
    [CHANGED] Demo trees are included in Demo Scene folder
    [IMPROVED] Groups - allow Object Paths to be up to 1000m wide
    [IMPROVED] Reformed Advanced tab in LB Editor
    [IMPROVED] manual - added LB Manager documentation

docsavage, dsilverthorn and eaque like this.
  23. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Does LB2 have any integration with Vegetation Studio Pro for Biomes?
    I use the standard integration to convert to Veg Studio, but I'm not sure how to set up Biomes.

Is there a Biome Set up tutorial?

Thanks!

24. sstrong

sstrong

Vegetation Studio Pro biomes can be applied with the Groups system. Firstly, they be used as a Filter on a whole Group. A biome mask for the Group will be added to the landscape.

upload_2020-7-1_8-31-45.png

Then secondly, you can assign biomes to Group Zones. A biome mask area will be created for the zone.

upload_2020-7-1_8-33-52.png

Thirdly, you can assign a VSP biome to an Object Path that has Width enabled. Again, a biome mask area will be created to follow the outline of the Object Path - really useful when defining roads, tracks or rivers.

upload_2020-7-1_8-35-27.png

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    dsilverthorn and eaque like this.
  25. eaque

eaque

all those things possible that i don't know how to use...:oops:
    ;)

26. sstrong

sstrong

Which things don't you know how to use?

27. eaque

eaque

i am real bad with the group system though i know it is very powerful...:p
    And matching VS pro biomes with LB2 would make a great video as a tutorial....:rolleyes::)

dsilverthorn likes this.
  28. sstrong

sstrong

Ok, which particular parts of the Groups system are you having trouble with? No doubt, you've already seen some of the video tutorials (I think there are around 7 tutorials on Groups).

29. eaque

eaque

i guess it's because i didn't spend enough time on it!! you are not responsible for that!! ;):)
    gonna reckeck the videos too.

dsilverthorn and sstrong like this.
  30. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Me too.
    I’m having a hard time putting it into practice.
    I’ve watched the videos and tried to make some scenes with limited success, enough that makes me frustrated that I can’t get it fully in my head.
    Some things just take longer to figure out.
    I gave up, but now see I have to get it figured out.
    I’ll try again and see if it clicks on in my head. ;)

eaque likes this.
  31. sstrong

sstrong

Ok, let us know where you run into issues or it is difficult to understand. Maybe we need to another tutorial or two on Groups. We have so many features packed into the Groups System, we'd hate for you to miss out on those.

BanicaTom likes this.
  32. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Will do.
    I’m going to go through the videos again and try to create a scene. The funny thing is I switched to LB2 for this and it’s the thing I haven’t figured out yet. But it’s only been a couple of years. :rolleyes:

I’ve used most everything else and love it so I’ve let it pass. But now... I’ll get back on it and get it figured out, with your help.

Maybe an option video to add, a quick short video showing the Biome creation use.

I’m wondering if I’m getting caught on the extensive abilities of the system and getting confused due to the details given in the vids.

Like eaque said, it is not your fault. Your tutorials are some of the best out there.

I’ll work on it again and see if I can understand it all now, if not I’ll let you know. :)

Thanks for all your help!!

eaque and sstrong like this.
  33. eaque

eaque

same thing...I never took the time to make some clear and SMALL practice scenes with SIMPLE things to do in order to master them. I guess we have a little time to put into unity so we work on other things until we reach that point...:oops: solodev issue maybe

It's a pity cause like you (and most of us) i need to understand what i can do and how, to let my mind conceive new things new ways to achieve things when i go to sleep...So like you i'm frustrated cause we know the possibilities are there...

i know the support here is fantastic i already wrote it and we all know that...I never really asked about groups cause i didn't spend time on it, that's the proof :oops:

dsilverthorn and sstrong like this.
  34. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Yep
    Exactly the same here.

Being solo does limit us to needing to feel productive and learning something new.

For me, if I don’t get it right away, I move on with intent to come back. But like with the groups, I haven’t because I passed that point in the design and then didn’t need it. Now I’m trying again, but I have to make time to learn and don’t want to delay my project too much since I’ve done a workaround.

I rewatched the videos and it all seems so simple, but not as simple for me to put into practice. I think I need to do one step at a time by using that pause button and keeping the manual open.;)

Now with the Biomes options, I need to get it figured out for my next scene/project.
    I am sure we will get it figured out, I think it will take me a few times of use to get a good understanding of it.
    I think I will start with a simple practice scene and do one thing- a few times. Then on to the next thing.
    I think once we get it working and understanding it, it will be fun to create and I'm sure it will speed up the process.

I'm glad it is not just me.:)

eaque likes this.
  35. sstrong

sstrong

Vegetation Studio Integration - issues

A customer has reported an issue with LB and VS 1.5.3. We have a fix for this coming in LB 2.3.1. If you see errors when applying trees or grass and need a patch before then, let us know.

NOTE: This does not apply to Vegetation Studio Pro (just VS).

dsilverthorn likes this.
  36. sstrong

sstrong

This version is now available in the Asset Store. It includes the following changes since 2.3.0.

[NEW] Advanced Option to override creation of Unity Layer for Celestials
    [NEW] LBManager - Get Inventory
    [NEW] Demo scene with Groups
    [FIXED] Terrain Settings - relink may fail on first attempt
    [FIXED] Create Landscape - it should not be possible to generate a new landscape with no size.
    [FIXED] Templates - incorrect sample tree prefab names
    [FIXED] LBManager - EndLayoutGroup: BeginLayoutGroup must be called first.
    [FIXED] LBStencil - cannot delete a stencil layer in U2019.4+
    [FIXED] Vegetation Studio integration - modify Grass - ArgumentOutOfRangeException
    [FIXED] Vegetation Studio integration - modify Trees - NullReferenceException
    [IMPROVED] LBManager can now remove many more LB demo and sample assets
    [IMPROVED] Reduce wind effect on sample trees
    [IMPROVED] Creating a landscape from the TemplateEditor retains GroupID and autoconnect

docsavage, dsilverthorn and eaque like this.
  37. eaque

eaque

HI,

Is this a response to the messages above dealing with groups?! I guess...
    You are AMAZING guys!! Thank you very much. I hardly find time to open unity those days but i will definitely only to check LB2 update and to dive into groups a bit.

Considering all the effort you do for your customers, i feel ashamed to have post my first depressive message !! :oops::p
    i cost you some extra work! sorry about that!

You always respond to any of us in minutes or days with some updates ...FANTASTIC!!

thanks again to all the LB team:):):)

BanicaTom, dsilverthorn and sstrong like this.
  38. sstrong

sstrong

DemoStoneCottage2.png
    We're now including a simple cottage from LB Enviro Pack 1 with LB. It only has the 512K textures but it can be useful as a placeholder asset when testing landscape scenarios.

39. sstrong

sstrong

DemoStoneCottage1.png

Here is a simple bridge created with the Object Path feature in the Groups System. The scene is included as a Template and is also one of the scenes that can be loaded from the DemoScene.

To see how we did it:
    1. Open and save a new scene
    2. Go to the LandscapeBuilder\Templates folder
    3. Click on the DemoStoneCottage template
    4. In the inspector, tick "Populate Landscape"
    5. Click "Create New Landscape"
    6. Take a look at the Groups tab in the LB Editor

40. ash4640

ash4640

is there a discord channel where I can post some questions regarding the tool before getting it

41. sstrong

sstrong

Sure. https://discord.gg/kv3tZ72

42. sstrong

sstrong

upload_2020-8-5_7-53-21.png

This version is now available from the asset store. It includes the following updates.

[NEW] Tree and Grass - Texture Filters include an adjustable cut-off value
    [NEW] Grass and Tree tab search filters
    [NEW] Texture filters now work natively on GPU
    [NEW] Camera Path - path direction can be reversed
    [FIXED] Texturing, Grass or Tree Filter - NullReferenceException
    [FIXED] LB Template inspector - EndLayoutGroup: BeginLayoutGroup must be called first.
    [FIXED] Stencil Filters do not work with GPU acceleration and 8K stencil layers
    [FIXED] Camera Animator - TargetParameterCountException on Preview in Editor
    [IMPROVED] Terrain Settings - Autoconnect, Group ID and grass wind settings are added with (S)cripting tool
    [IMPROVED] LBUpdate.LandscapeUpdate() API can be run silently
    [IMPROVED] LBTemplate - material types CTS and URP are now retained
    [IMPROVED] Stencils - Mesh Offset Y option for reduced flickering with NavMesh

43. eaque

eaque

Hi,

Fist of all, many thanks for the template with the bridge. I still study it it's very useful!!!

May i revert with an idea:p...Still trying to shape my map and here is a thought:

-I played with unreal engine and brushify and was quite amazed...

-Could it be possible to match a "topography" layer with a Vegetation studio biome??
    So that the Vs biome would be shaped by LB according to the topography image and blending infos???

This would highly automate the creation in order to play with an image that will always be textured the right way no matter if i change the settings??????

If i could give each layer a biome definition i could mix and match big maps.
    SO if i have a dune layer it will always be textured as a dune biome no matter its place. and when 2 biomes overlap they could just blend.

If it's technicaly possible i'm sure it will be a new way to work. If i use a real time shader like Microsplat texturing it could be just like in unreal even better!!! :p

looking forward to reading your opinion about that feature.

cheers

dsilverthorn likes this.
  44. sstrong

sstrong

Interesting concept. How do you see this working in practice? For example, Topography Layers can be landscape-wide and "stacked" (which could get complicated for VSP biomes). Topography Layers can also be filtered by area (so can VSP biomes) and Topography Image Modifier Layers can be sized and rotated. It is not unusual to have say a mixture of 5-10 different Topography Layers (which could be perlin, image modifiers, image layers etc. in any order the user wants to place them).

eaque and dsilverthorn like this.
  45. eaque

eaque

Many thanks for your prompt answer! Happy to hear it sounds interesting !

Actually i see it quite clearly on my mind but i have no knowledge so excuse me if it sounds stupid technically..:oops:

-Each layer can have "enable picker" right? it would just need a flat reference of the position and size limits and add the blending mask infos to define a shape of the biome (wich is only 2d flat??). @Rowlan made a script to generate Vs biome shapes on github...

I suppose it is possible to generate a complexe biome shape and place it over the layer position just to reference x/z

for layers overlapping: each time one gets over another there could be an option to define wich one has the priority on the other one on the surface they share, to reshape the biomes masks accordingly.

maybe it won't be perfect in every situation but for designers there is always a biome on top of another right? so users could define wich one is on top of the other one...like a weighted thing...

guess i'm gonna make some drawing to explain it....:D

46. eaque

eaque

First of all, this workflow might not be the best in every case but it could be a very special new way of shaping. Maybe if the modifiers is not an image it is more difficult?? you tell me...

the seams beetwin biomes could be obvious it doesn't have to be perfectly and naturally blended those are some easy and quick manual corrections....

just to sum up the thing: i could choose to texture the yellow over the green or the red or the blue, or make the blue upon the yellow.... knowing there is always a default biome in VS over the 4tiles terrain in this case as the base!...
    let's say the yellow is dunes and green forest the total numbers of layers would give the max "array position" here it's 5 biomes then we could decide wich one is 0 - 1- 2- etc......
    layers biomes.png
    i would see a box like this to set the priority by color or weight...
    biome LB.png

on each layer here we could put as public object a biome mask object then it would be shaped sized and positioned by LB
    as the mask blending is always a circle it wouldn't be to difficult to adjust it (i suppose).

Vs biomes2.png
    Pressing generate topography should only create the biome shape so that users could reshape it manually to get better blending BEFORE texturing.....It doesn't need to be very polished shaped but offering the possibility to tweak real quick to our needs.

People could only press texture biome in Vs or you could have a shortcut in LB but it's important we can choose

And btw more general (not in biome case) the possibility to use a texture as mask for blending would be fantastic. Circle shape is too obvious sometimes ....

thanks

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  47. eaque

eaque

sorry to flood you guys....:p
    I tried 7000 units Vs biome but only for texturing "no objects spawning yet) and it seems to work well

so if i get it right, this would mean an area biome on top of another one....to me it's the same concept...

But does it change the overall shape? cause to me it's "just" the circle shape or square shape rotating on itself at different size right?

I don't mind having to reshape the biome area nodes if they are always squared by default, that's what i do manually actually. But i have to create one each time i want to try a biome design....

Maybe on those 5 or 10 (i have 6 till now on mine) many share the default biome or the same biome?
    and of course there could be some limitations...And some layers with no reference would be default...

but LB can get the "weight" info biome from Vs to know the default one and so on....There are many references(forest desert biome1....) in VS that could turn into an "array thing" (sorry if i use" array wrong").

thanks for being patient :)

48. sstrong

sstrong

Thanks for your comments and ideas. We've also had a VS Pro biome-related feature request from another customer, so when we get a chance (hopefully in the next week) we'll explore some options.

StevenPicard and eaque like this.
  49. eaque

eaque

oh no!! it's me who thanks you guys!!
    take your time you always update at speed of light !!
    what was the feature requested? will check the forum ...;)

let us know your thoughts after your little exploration!!
    Cheers

50. sstrong

sstrong

Vegetation Studio Pro integration and Biomes

Some customers have asked about using their own-preconfigured VS Pro biomes with Landscape Builder. We've been listening and you can now select your own biome rather have LB create the default biome for you.

upload_2020-9-3_9-8-33.png

Also, in LB 2.3.3 we will also support adding imported Unity terrain grass (detail) to VS Pro persistent storage. This happens automatically in the background if LB sees any imported grass types.

upload_2020-9-3_9-12-46.png

Non-imported grass types are (still) sent to VS Pro as spawning rules.

dsilverthorn likes this.