Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

LAN MMO Networking Technology

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by glenwatkinson, Feb 27, 2019.

1. glenwatkinson

glenwatkinson

I'm wondering if anybody has an opinion on how to go about build a MMO with Unity networking that runs on LAN only. Photon? PlayFab? Rest API? GameSparks? Any other ideas? It will need to support 100-500 connections.

I should also clarify that this is for a starship simulator that exists in a physical room. The host is a PC at the front and there are (currently) 27 android tablets that connect to it and serve as controls. An internet connection shouldn't be required and I probably won't need any of the matchmaking services that some of these things offer.

I've written it in UNet but I understand that's about to be deprecated and it's not supposed to function well with higher numbers of connections. The solution definitely needs to work in realtime.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  2. g_a_p

g_a_p

You may want to take a look at our SmartFoxServer. I'm taking the liberty to point it out because it is free up to 100 concurrent connections (which should be fine for your setup) and you can install it on the host PC inside the LAN, without the necessity of an internet connection.

3. glenwatkinson

glenwatkinson

Thanks for the reply. Is the number of concurrent users relevant if I'm not using the cloud services?

4. g_a_p

g_a_p

SmartFoxServer licensing is based on the number of CCU, starting with a free tier (we call it "Community Edition") with a 100 CCU limit.
    As you are working on a simulator located in a physical space, my guess is that you won't have more than 100 people playing at once in the same room, so the free version should be enough for your needs.
    In case you need to setup multiple simulators, you can have a separate server for each of them, or a single server (if all simulators are on the same LAN) with a paid license.

5. mischa2k

mischa2k

If you have written it in UNET then consider Mirror. Should be very easy to upgrade.
    500-1000 CCU is doable :)