Search Unity

Laircraft: Voxel Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LaireonGames, Feb 15, 2017.

1. LaireonGames

LaireonGames

Honestly, I'm not sure.

My current situation is that I have a promising meeting with a potential investor next week actually. If it leads to something I will probably axe future updates.

If it doesn't though (final decisions from these things can take a long time btw) then I have considered investing more time in the asset store since it still earns me money and Laircraft would of course be a part of that.

2. Bioman75

Bioman75

hmm seems that there is a lot of errors with it due to network depreciation. This appears to be left over multiplayer code before it got axed.

3. LaireonGames

LaireonGames

Ah course sorry I forgot about that! Yeah people kept asking for mulitplayer and was something I said I would never deliver (to avoid asset flipping, originally I didn't even include lighting for that same reason but it looked too bad so I had to add some) so I only included a very basic example of it.

It should be easy enough to remove, shouldn't be much code around it. Feel free to shout if you get stuck around any of it

4. Quimby_RBG

Quimby_RBG

Hi Laireon,
    I imported this asset today and could not get it to work.
    I see you mentioned in the post above that there is redundant network code, but it should not be too intertwined with the functional code. However, when I opened it today, I went through and commented out all the network code, but found that the error messages just kept coming, especially in the Player class.
    Could you please upload a non-broken package?
    Thanks

5. LaireonGames

LaireonGames

Hey Quimby,

Sorry to hear that, thought it was only a few lines (< 10) around it but its been a while so there might be something I'm forgetting. I'll try and find some time this morning to strip it out.

If I remember rightly 2018 version of Unity still runs without issue btw but versions after that is were the depreciated net code is gone and causes errors.

Edit:
    Just saw your review and don't like people who do that. 1 star reviewing until I fix your issue is like a weak form of blackmail to which my usual response is to ignore.

Now I'll get around to fixing the package when I feel like it

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  6. Quimby_RBG

Quimby_RBG

I'm glad you're looking into fixing the package up, the effort is appreciated.

I understand why you would not like that kind of review sitting there, but it's hardly dishonest or black-mail.
    The asset doesn't work in the state that it is, and until it is fixed, people need to know that there's a problem.
    I promise I will be prompt about testing any revisions you post and editing the review to match, but as it stands the asset is broken.
    The asset store page and videos promise an out of the box voxel engine with a bunch of editor tools for designers to use to customise the experience.
    I know that you've done a lot of work making this asset, the design tools, and the comprehensive video tutorials, but if someone without a bunch of coding knowledge were to purchase it they'd be immediately foiled, which is something they should be aware of prior to purchase.

7. Quimby_RBG

Quimby_RBG

I must have skimmed your response the first time I read your comment, because I missed this line.

You have the wrong attitude here, mate.
    I said in my review that I would contact you and amend the review once the asset was WORKING.
    It's not a bug that I am getting uppity about wanting addressed, the whole tool DOES NOT WORK!
    Saying that I would amend the review is a positive; I am affording you the respect of assuming that the BROKEN asset was something you were not aware of and would correct once aware.
    Would you prefer I just leave it as a 1 star review?

When I scrolled up a little in the forum, I see that someone else already alerted you to this problem in AUGUST(!), so you were already taking your sweet time repairing the asset.
    What an unscrupulous person you are for sitting on it and accepting money knowing the tool doesn't work.
    If it's such a easy fix, why didn't you fix it?
    You haven't marked the tool as deprecated, you are presenting it for sale as advertised.

Don't be so petty and disrespectful to those who support you.

8. LaireonGames

LaireonGames

The majority of the review is fine and as I was reading it I was like yeah fair if its broke its broke. But the final line along the usual of I will update the review once you do what I ask is where I draw the line. People seem to think its an acceptable way of talking to other people, bottom line its not. Its exactly the same as people who give 4* along side a "you get the 5th once you add feature X ;)". Childish. Petty blackmail. Unacceptable. To be clear this is worlds apart from things like 4* but "was hard to setup, feature X was unclear etc" which is informative.

I really couldn't care about the 1* review. I mainly leave the store live so people have a place where all the info about the package is there such as the videos. I've tried to be upfront and honest about the state of the project and still answer questions/fix bugs when people ask them respectfully.

Also the package does work fine, with the 2018 version as I stated. Since the publishing tools have changed since my last upload my next upload would take some time to verify working versions pipelines etc and all it would do is not let you download in 2020 until I uploaded a new package there. Funnily enough stuff like this takes time I've not had to fix it and like I mentioned on the store page I'm busy lately.

Wow, how childish. Do you think shouting and calling me unscrupulous is going to make me magically turn around and do what you ask? For others reading this yes I was told in August but what you don't see if the numerous private emails I've exchanged with that other person who was respectful and last we spoke was up and running happily. Since he was happy and I haven't had an email since then fixing the net code, obviously, dropped again to a low priority for me.

Also for everyone else's benefit, again depreciating the assets means you lose the store page where all the video links are. The other option is to do silly things like raise the price to $1000 but there is always the chance someone pays that since some engines do charge that price with the assumption that price brings dedicated support for X time.

If you know how to code, Laircraft is still a strong foundation to start from to save yourself a ton of time is also the other reason its still live.

"Don't be so petty and disrespectful to those who support you."
    Don't be childish and shout at people thinking it will get you what you want. It wont, I'm not your mum.

9. Quimby_RBG

Quimby_RBG

So you agree that if it's broken then 1 star is an appropriate review score?
    The line you got angry about was that I would amend my review once I was actually able to test the asset?
    If you like I can remove that line and just leave it as "Broken - Do not purchase"; I'm happy to do that.

This is a straw man argument, and I find it very disrespectful that you would continue to push this as justification to refuse to repair the asset. Screw the other people who buy this, right?
    They can each email you politely and have you coach them individually through the process of repairing it?
    I have already explained that what I said was nothing like that, and you said in your first line that you agree with my 1 star review for a broken asset. Promising to give a fair review once you have had the opportunity to amend the issue is a courtesy, but clearly one you don't appreciate.

It does not state that it only works with Unity 2018 on the store page, you only mentioned it to me in the forum after I contacted you to let you know the asset didn't work. Also, you should post on the store page that you only offer assistance to those that grovel in the appropriate manner.

If you're not interested in supporting the tool anymore, but it is "still a strong foundation to start from to save yourself a ton of time", then why not do something crazy and DROP the price?
    Just post on the store page that it's only compatible with certain old versions of Unity and sell it for $10 or so.
    Seeing as you would be willing to make it $1000 to prevent people from purchasing it, why not just make it free and offer no continued support?
    That way your existing customers get their helpful videos (which you've done a good job of, btw) and new customers don't get stung purchasing an asset that doesn't work. 2018 LTS is being deprecated this year, so you will have to sort this out at some point.

Also, the page doesn't state that you need to be a good programmer in order to use this tool; You only need to be a good programmer to use it because it's BROKEN!

When did I 'shout' or say anything childish to you?
    You just took exception to my review, which you yourself apparently agree with, and got all snotty at me.
    Read back over the thread and you will see that aside from a disapproving tone, I have not said anything insulting or derogatory.
    The closest I got was calling you unscrupulous for not posting any warnings that the asset is not functional in current versions of Unity despite being aware since at least August. I stand by that, and if that idea makes you uncomfortable then take steps to amend the problem.

I am very annoyed that you have carried yourself in this way, as I previously had a positive opinion of Laircraft.
    I stumbled across a video of your current project which is looking very well polished, so good luck with that.

10. ALCFlamiw

ALCFlamiw

Please update the download link! I have a dream of my own to make a game like minecraft, please?

11. Bioman75

Bioman75

He removed the asset it is currently depreciated.

12. PelinHanci

PelinHanci

how can i buy laircraft again