Search Unity

Lagging editor on dedicated GPU

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jacobkap, Jun 18, 2019.

1. jacobkap

jacobkap

Hello Unity Forums,

I really hope I posted this in the correct category.
    Yesterday I launched Unity 3D and went to follow the TANKS! tutorial on the learning page of Unity's website. During the project I ran into some problems with the Unity3D Editor. It was very, very lagging. Both when editing and when playing. The game was literally unplayable and the editor was unusable. I thought this was weird, because I have a mid-range computer that should be able to use Unity without any problems.

The weird thing is, this only happens on my GPU! When I plug my monitor into my motherboard, so it runs of the graphics chip of the CPU, it runs smoothly. When I build the game it also runs smoothly on my dedicated graphics card. I think this is very weird...

Specs:
    - Intel i5-4460 3.20GHz
    - EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC
    - 8GB RAM
    - Running Unity3D on SSD

The solutions I've tried:
    - Reinstalling Unity3D
    - Installing an older version of Unity3D
    - Using the tag -force-opengl in launch options
    - Forcing Unity to use the GPU in NVIDIA Control Panel
    - Logging out of Unity Hub (I read somewhere that this may also cause problems)

None of these solutions worked. Has someone else had this problem? Is there a fix for this? I hope I can get some help, because plugging you monitor in your motherboard and GPU 10 times a day is just not fun anymore...

Greetings,
    Jacob

2. SmartMediaNL

SmartMediaNL

I would suggest running a GPU load monitor tool. (Or enable the column in the taskmanager on W10)
    because it sounds like you have something that is taking up your all your gpu time.
    It happens one time at a friend of mine who had(unknowingly) a bitcoin tool running installed by mall ware.
    (that program stopped working when the task manager was shown so it was a bit hard to detect)
    Leaving the task manager open he could play games.)

upload_2019-6-18_14-27-48.png

3. jacobkap

jacobkap

Thanks, I tried it, but Unity is just at a few percent and total usage is the same as Unity. Also, running my anti-virus didn't show any malware. Also, Unity wasn't even going faster while having the task manager open.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

In the Unity editor log file I believe it will say which GPU it is trying to use. Make sure it is really trying to use your nvidia GPU, not your onboard. You can also try disabling your onboard video in your motherboard's BIOS so there is no ambiguity which GPU Unity should use.

There may also be a driver update available for your nvidia card.