Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Lag, Black Bars, Low Fps When Using Wmr In The Editor

Discussion in 'Windows Mixed Reality' started by Bovine, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Bovine

Bovine

Hi There

I have a lenovo WMR headset which works fine outside of Unity but I've noticed it being a bit juddery when playing from within the editor. I have a very beefy laptop (hexa core i7, RTX2070) so I am pretty sure this isn't the issue and games run smoothly.

I notice also that if the game window is not rendering in Unity, that the view in the Lenovo drops to a few FPS only and there are huge black areas when moving my head form side to side - even slowly.

Am I missing a setting or two here, or is this lag to be expected when using WMR within Unity?

Thanks
    H

2. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Hey Bovine, which editor version are you running on when you see this behavior?

3. Bovine

Bovine

Thanks for getting back to me. I was initially working on the recent beta but dropped to the most recent stable release - 2018.3.12f1

I just tried a scene with 5 cubes, default scene, skybox and it's hitting ~100fps in the editor. If I unplug the WMR headset this jumps to ~1200 FPS. I'm going to look at the profiler to see what is happening and perhaps the frame debugging too

4. Bovine

Bovine

Oddly this seems fine to me this morning in 2018.3.12f1. Profiling shows that ~8MS is spent on v-sync, which may be expected. Technically that's turned off, but maybe that's just not something you can turn off for VR.

I will rebuild my demo scene in 2018.3 and see if I am still getting the jitter on those prefabs.

It is still definitely the case that if the game window isn't rendering, that I see noting or very low FPS in the VR headset, but maybe this is expected?

5. Bovine

Bovine

So I started setting up a VR scene again. Checking it into source control so I could monitor changes, but it didn't come to that. It seems very low near clip planes drive my Lenovo WMR Headset bonkers - I had it set to 0.05 in the near clip plane and even objects that were within a few meters were rendering badly in the headset with clear and obvious duplicates. Dropping to 0.2 and putting a collider around the head so hands cannot clip into it easily, appears to be the solution.

Probably I am misunderstanding but I would have thought a 5 or 10cm near clip plane would be reasonable for VR situations.

Note that I still find the headset renders nothing to 3fps if the game window is not active.

6. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Are you using anything other than the cubes in your scene? Do you have any scripts, are you using MRTK, is there any other variable introduced?

I just tried an empty scene with 1 cube and .05 near clipping plane like you mentioned and I am seeing a steady 95 fps with the game view hidden (not in focus). If you're able to upload a repro project where you're seeing this behavior I am happy to take a peek at it.