Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of knowledge while working with developer.

Discussion in 'Web' started by alanbrahmrowe, Mar 10, 2015.

1. alanbrahmrowe

alanbrahmrowe

We are both new to webgl and are having a minor debate. The app is running at student.prayertech.net. They are compiling the app to the webgl target. When I access the web page and the app downloads there is no note in the lower left corner saying webgl (as there is in the Unity demo) and it seems to be installing a unity plugin into windows. If this is still the old plugin how do I confirm it and what pointers can I give them to get it right as I do not want to get caught next month with Chrome no longer supporting the old plugin.

2. gfoot

gfoot

In Chrome, press Shift-Esc and it will open a mini-task manager that lists all the Chrome processes and what they are for. If you see one called "Plug-in: UnityPlayer", then the Unity plug-in is loaded. It tends to keep running though even after whatever was using it has closed, so it is not conclusive.

You could also check your web page source - press Ctrl-U to view the page source, and use Ctrl-F to search for UnityObject2. If you find it, that's the old plug-in. If you find references to codeXHR, on the other hand, that's probably the new WebGL system.

3. orb

orb

If it wants to install anything at all it's not WebGL.

4. DoucettejIBM

DoucettejIBM

But, webgl does have a loading bar so don;t be fooled into thinking this is loading a plugin.

5. hyperhippo

hyperhippo

the note in the bottom left corner that says WebGL is just the default template that unity builds the HTML page that it wraps your game in.

there is a "Minimal" option in the unity publishing settings that doesn't have these images and just docks your game canvas to the top left of the page.

if you can right click on it and get the unity plugin menu, then its the unity player... if right clicks are disabled, then you can check by right clicking on the page outside of the play area, going to "View Source" and look at the page, if there is a <canvas> tag, then it is using HTML5, and unless the page you've embedded your game in is also using the canvas, you have your answer. If you are doing something like loading the index.html that unity built for you in an IFrame then you'll have to open the url that it is loading into that frame first, and then view ITS source to find your answer.