I have a pause menu with a title label that displays who paused the game. There is some placeholder text that my script replaces like so where "playerNameText" is the title label and the "canvas" is the UIDocument. component. playerNameText.text = playerName + " Paused"; canvas.enabled = true; I used a debugger to step through and what I found is that after the text is changed, the text property of the label remains on what I set it to, but the actual visible label does not update in game. I have other UI that uses labels that have their text changed this way and it works fine. None of my buttons in this UI trigger any code either despite having clicked actions bound in the start function (lines are executed as confirmed by the debugger).