Search Unity

Games Kula World (PS1) remake [WIP]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by jimmyvdongen, Jan 5, 2018.

?

Should I continue working on this project?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jimmyvdongen

jimmyvdongen

Hello everyone, currently I am working on a remake of the old game Kula World for Android and iOS. The goal of the game is gathering some stuff and reach a spot by rolling, jumping and changing gravity with a ball.

Kula World [PS1]:

Remake progress:

Any advise? I would like to hear some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Instagram: negnodstudios

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

There's potential but your little remake progress doesn't tell me anything that I could comment on. The original isn't good enough to make money on mobile either in this day and age so you would want to add some meat and depth to it, and have a good think about how to make this important and fun enough that people bother playing it.

If your goal is not to make money but learn the market and get a title out, then it's perfect.

As a general rule, if a game is not at least twice as much fun as people watching, reading an article or oogling, then don't do it.

theANMATOR2b and jimmyvdongen like this.
  3. jimmyvdongen

jimmyvdongen

First of all, thank you for your advice hippocoder.

I am a student and developing is just a hobby. My main goal is to learn more about Unity and get a title out, but I making money would be nice. I am developing games for a couple of years now, but I never finish them. I often think too big. This time I work on a smaller game, hoping I get a title out this time. Thank you again and I will take your advice with me.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Well I've been in the game for a few decades so my advice is to make something small like this ball game and release it but don't care about the money side of things. There's a few reasons why not caring about the money for the first couple of releases makes a lot of sense:
    • Successful people won't tell you really
    • You learn things nobody else knows
    • Developing a title for money takes longer
    • There is no formula, really there isn't
    The reason there isn't a formula is because consider copying Overwatch? it's success is far more down to the entire package deal than any one thing. You can't rip something out in isolation and watch it fly. It would just be a grim wingless pigeon that falls to earth with a bloody splat.

You'd have to make the whole pigeon, and the Overwatch pigeon is too expensive for most AAA developers to tackle, let alone us. So you look at developing a formula for what works based on your own strengths. It feels like you're starting from nothing but really you're not. You get a few games out and listen to feedback, you learn your limitations and suddenly, money begins to happen.

That's why you should release a few titles that take no time first, so you understand what you have to work with.

theANMATOR2b likes this.