Search Unity

{Kongregate} Rocket Leaper (Try Now!)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by JVGameDev, Mar 5, 2016.

1. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

2. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

Play it now!

3. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

4. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

5. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

6. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

7. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

8. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

yeah... stop bumping

cyangamer likes this.
  9. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

No...

10. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

Maybe I would if you werent a dick about it

11. Aseemy

Aseemy

Hi, the issue could be that most people use chrome and unity games dont run on chrome. Also i then downloaded firefox to run your game, now it wants me to install flash as well. (chrome has built in flash so i didnt have it for firefox)

I am checking your game out now. :)

Edit: some issue with unity player, installed it manually as well still same error. Sorry.
    unitywebplayererror.jpg

JVGameDev likes this.
  12. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback!

13. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

Ok, so on Kongregate, I cannot change the file type, so it will have to be run on Firefox.

14. SputnixFox

SputnixFox

Hello. Can I offer some feedback without being called a dick?

• Don't repeatedly bump your own thread and dis established and esteemed members of the community.
    • Google/Chrome has royally screwed over Unity developers, where Unity games cannot run on the most dominant browser, plus it seems like Kongregate treat Unity devs as second class citizens below Flash devs. So there are hurdles to even get your game loading. (I had to install FireFox and Flash again to get it working) No wonder you've seen little interest.
    • The title screen has button event collision issues, it took me 2 minutes of constant clicking on "New Game" before the level loaded. I almost gave up before it loaded the first level.
    • The roll-over colour of the buttons is a barely different shade from the default button colour, it was difficult for me to know if the button was even highlighted or not. (Maybe adding to the point above)
    • The rocket ships are moving so fast on the title screen, that it blurs and shurdders across the screen, It's like a V-sync tear, but just on the rocket. Slow it down and it will look smoother.
    • An Exit button on a browser game screams, "Quick port job" A browser game simply doesn't require one.
    • In the actual level, the space ships are moving more slowly (Thank god) and you can see a transparency issue with it. (At the cone/front of the ship, there are a few errant, opaque pixels just infront of the ships cone. Sloppy)

• The ships have some pretty cool collision and move out of the way of one another, I wasn't expecting that. It's a nice touch.

• The protagonist has no jump, collision, mid-air or landing animation. For a game about jumping, you really should have a robust jumping system with multiple states (Wind up jump -> Mid air -> Falling -> Landing) animation and behaviour states.

• The only animation in the game seems to be the running animation, which is both playing too fast and has too few frames of animation. A walk/run cycle needs at least 9 frames of animation to properly describe a cycle. Try to cut too many and it looks like the character is skipping. You can see this in my own animations, https://www.behance.net/gallery/7939787/Sprite-Run-Loops the nurse is skipping alittle and really needs a couple more frames.

• You didn't even bother to change the ground texture from the Prototype assets graciously given for free on the Unity Asset Store. That's not cool.
    • When trying to play the game and gain a high score, there's really not much to do. There's no tactics to employ, no strategy or interesting decisions for the player to make. I'm just getting hit and sliding around from random rockets, I couldn't get above 7m and that's only because I was hit by a rocket coming from the left and the right, which sandwiched and then shot me up. Classic rigidbody behaviour this may be, but I didn't do it. It just happened without user input.
    • It feels horrible to play. To move or just to look at.
    • At best I would describe this game as, "Generic first punt at game dev"
    Did three people really work together to build this? Is this your first game?
    I ask, and I've spent this time replying, because I see alittle of my first tentative steps into game development here and wished I had gotten some feedback to put some fire in my belly and want to "get good"

Do you want to see my first game? I also released it on Kongregate, a couple of months after they first introduced Unity support:
    kongregate.com/games/SkipKickCrash/an-odd-game-of-cricket

I made it in two weeks as I was learning Unity and Unityscript. I look back at it an cringe. All those mistakes and that dreadful GUI. But it's also kind of charming, it has my fingerprints all over it

Take this all with a grain of salt, dust yourself off, and start a-fresh. Take what you have learnt and make something better. Make something that you want to play and I'm sure we'll want to as well.

All the best.

15. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

Hi! Thanks for the feedback, it is my first game, so it may not be the best. The only reason is because he could have just politely told me not to bump it, without being snooty about it.