Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Kokoh Trails : Leonardo's Memory (Episode One now out!) - WIP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by snowconesolid, Mar 17, 2012.

1. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

UPDATE 3/17/2012 (From now one I will post updates from newest descending down to oldest)
    I have just created a trailer to promote the very first episode to my game. :)

Play Episode one of my game: (Final Build)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50235309/KokohTrails EpisodeOne/WebPlayer.html

(Original artwork I made for this game, I tried to make it look like an old Japanese painting, I failed at that lol)

Hi Everyone! I have been using unity for some time now and I think that its time I finally made a thread.
    I started working on my very first unity game since winter break and today I have finally released the very first (finished part) to my game.

"Kokoh Trails: Leonardo's Memory" is the name of my very first unity game. It is a game about a a guy named Leonardo who is found up on the shores of Kehkoh Island (the name of the very first Island in my game) with no previous memory.
    Leonardo has been living on the island since he has been found. Every year the traditional festival is held on the island. The rare ruby Khanda (a red panada bear type creature) is a legendary and sacred creature to Kehkoh Island. It sleeps all year. The rare ruby Khanda only wakes up on the day of the festival. The game starts off on the day of the festival. This will be Leonardo's very first year to experience the festival on the island. However, on the same exact day, a group of pirates sail to Kehkoh Island and kidnap the legendary Ruby Khanda.

You take the role of Leonardo and set out on a journey to track down the pirates and bring the ruby Khanda back to the island before its too late. As Leonardo goes through his adventure he begins to come across clues that tell him a little bit about his past and give him some of his memories back. So its kind of like two story lines at once.

Screen Shots!:

Meet the characters of Kokoh Trails:

Leonardo : The Main Character

Keshko : Farm worker at kehkoh farm (Not the best looking model)

Shiroam : Kehkoh Islands engineer

(You can see more character models on my deviantart page)

here is a youtube video showing off the first Island (this is just a video to show the island, I plan on making a trailer for the first episode soon)

A snowconesolid Game(thats me) Menu (I will put this menu in all of my games)

The Main Menu scene for Episode one of my game

More information about this game: (a interesting story behind kokoh Trails project, kind of, well not really)
    As stated earlier, this is my very first unity game project that I started over winter break, after a while I began to loose interest in this game project, so I decided to take a little break. During my break away from this game I actually started my second unity game project. I have already built the first two levels in my new game project and that game project is a bit different from this one. I will talk more about my second game project in the future though. On my blog I said that I was going to abandon my Kokoh Trails Project and work on my second game project, I said i might come back to the kokoh trails project after I finished my second game project. However, after finishing the second level in my second game project I started building the boss level for my kokoh trails project, then after that I decided to just build the entire first part of kokoh trails game. So after bouncing between two projects at once, I regained my interest in my first game project and now I decided to work on both my second game project and my first unity game project (I am a solo dev, so I work on both of my projects alone).
    heres how Im working things out:
    Originally my first project Kokoh Trails : Leonardo's Memory was suppose to be a huge game that I was going to create and then release all at once. (I began to loose interest once I realized how complicated my project is) but then I decided instead of making an entire full game, I will just build each part of my kokoh Trails project separately and release each part as an "Episode". These "Episodes" are much quicker for me to make because I only have to focus on that certain part of the game and worry about the other part later on. The episodes are shorter than a game, but much longer than a demo. Through the episodes I will tell the story for Kokoh Trails Leonardo's memory.

So I have just finished creating Episode one of Kokoh Trails Leonardo's Memory and released it. (See bottom for Link)
    I plan on working on Episode two sometime in the near future.

It is defiantly not a good idea to work on two game projects at once especially since I am the only working on my projects. So I might create an episode for my kokoh trails project and then work on my second project in between. I don't know yet.

Anyway I talk to much so here is the very first Episode of Kokoh Trails: Leonardo's Memory
    I hope you all enjoy my game. I would appreciate some feedback on the game. (This is the final build of the first episode)
    enjoy:

Kokoh Trails: Leonardo's Memory (Episode One)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50235309/KokohTrails EpisodeOne/WebPlayer.html

after playing episode one, tell me what you guys think of the storyline so far (by the things the characters say, you can tell I am not the greatest writer. haha.)

I hope to start working on Episode two soon! :)

more info about Kokoh Trails : Leonardo's Memory project
    My main goal for this game is to create a modern day N64 game.
    other goals for this game:
    -Create a game with a good entertaining storyline
    -Create likeable characters with a personality
    -Create fun gameplay.

Other Info:
    All 3D modeling and animations are created with Blender3d
    Music created with Aviary's Music Creator
    Game built in Unity3d game engine.

My Unity Goals:
    Finish both of the game projects I have started.
    ("Kokoh Trails : Leonardo's Adventure") and (I will talk about my other project in the future)
    Looks like I am going to be on these forums for a while :)

Why am I creating these games?
    Indie game development has always been something I have been interested in, so this is kind of just a hobby thing.
    I really enjoy learning gamedev and creating my own plots and characters and designs.

For more information:
    visit my blog: http://snowconesolidwho.blogspot.com/
    check my youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/snowconesolid
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/snowconesolid
    DeviantArt: http://snowconesolid.deviantart.com/

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. vivalarosa

vivalarosa

Hey Snow,

I loved your first installment, it has a lot of personality and style to it. Im glad to see a hobbyist creating (and sticking to) a decent sized project.

There are a lot of technical shortcomings, most of which can be overlooked because the world is quite cool to explore, however the movement of the character is quite difficult, consider using the standard 3rd person character prefab, or atleast parenting the camera to the character or allowing the camera to be rotated by mouse movement. It's quite difficult to navigate around the world and then rotate the camera simultaneously. Also throwing kokonuts is very difficult.

I'm looking forward to the next episode, dream big!

3. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

@ vivalarosa thank you very much for your feed back. Although this is the final build I know that it still has a lot of problems with it. I will try to improve through out development :) I guess the reason I set the controls up that way is because I am right handed lol. I should add a mouse control for camera.

Anyway!
    small update:
    I have just released a trailer to promote the very first episode of my game:
    watchy: