Search Unity

Known issue when developing with Vuforia 7, Xcode 9.3 and iOS 11.3 beta (ARKit 1.5)

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by Vuforia-Strasza, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello all,

There is a known issue when using:
    • Vuforia 7
    • Xcode 9.3
    • Devices running iOS 11.3 beta && support ARKit (version 1.5, bundled with iOS 11.3 beta)
    When developing with these versions, you may observe a camera preview that renders a black screen.

This is being addressed in an upcoming release of Vuforia. In the meantime, it is recommended to use Xcode 9.2 (or earlier) to ensure development continuity.

We will provide an update once the issue has been resolved.

Thanks for your continued interest in Vuforia,

Vuforia Support

fabiotgarcia and Snkhell like this.
  2. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

This happens to be my exact setup. Any idea when an update will be available? FYI iOS 11.3 beta 2 only works with Xcode 9.3, rolling back to an earlier version won't let you build to the device.

daville likes this.
  3. skdev3

skdev3

Fixed this problem:
    Code (csharp):
    2. void Awake()
    3.     {
    4.         try
    5.         {
    6.             EventInfo evSceneLoaded = typeof(SceneManager).GetEvent("sceneLoaded");
    7.             Type tDelegate = evSceneLoaded.EventHandlerType;
    9.             MethodInfo attachHandler = typeof(VuforiaRuntime).GetMethod("AttachVuforiaToMainCamera", BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Static);
    11.             Delegate d = Delegate.CreateDelegate(tDelegate, attachHandler);
    12.             SceneManager.sceneLoaded -= d as UnityEngine.Events.UnityAction<Scene, LoadSceneMode>;
    13.         }
    14.         catch (Exception e)
    15.         {
    16.             Debug.LogWarning("Cant remove the AttachVuforiaToMainCamera action: " + e.ToString());
    17.         }
    18.     }
    You need init camera on the transition from the menu to the camera...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Blarp likes this.
  4. CharlesBarros

CharlesBarros

I dunno how our fix solved this issue. It only avoid vuforia to auto initialize after a scene load event.
    Can you elaborate about how you achieve workarround this issue with the xcode 9.3 beta?

5. brunoricardo3d

brunoricardo3d

Any updates on this? Any workaround? Tried the code above with no success. The latest Vuforia release notes claims the bug is not fixed: "XCode 9.3 Beta is currently not supported and may result in camera previews rendering a black screen"

How to build with an early xcode version to iOS 11.3?

6. sam598

sam598

For iOS 11.3 you have to build and archive the project in Xcode 9.2. Export the application “Ad Hoc”, connect your iOS devices, open iTunes, and drag the export “.ipa” file to your device.

This work around has a major impact on development time. Both iOS 11.3 and Xcode 9.3 have been officially released, and the black video issue still exists. Vuforia 7.1 was just released last week, and no fix was added.

7. brunoricardo3d

brunoricardo3d

Thanks, sam598. I appreciate your solution. Will try that.

Agree, right now the process will be very cumbersome.

8. pedrohba

pedrohba

Bruno,

there is an easy way. Install XCode 9.3, build your project with it to create your iOS image file in Xcode. Then use this command:

sudo ln -s /Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.3\ \(15A5278f\) /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.3\ \(15A5278f\)

on your terminal. You'll have to adjust the version and version code to reflect yours. Restart Xcode 9.2 and you now you can use Xcode 9.2 to build to iOS 11.3

Best regards,

9. wxxhrt

wxxhrt

Hi @sam598, thanks for this solution. Do you know if following this solution messes up sharing the app through TestFlight? Xcode won't validate my app, it will upload to iTunes Connect but then gives a general error when I try and share with beta testers. I've removed the Ad-Hoc certificate and set Xcode to manage signing but that hasn't worked...

10. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

Thanks @pedrohba this works like a charm!

Last weekend I upgraded Xcode to the Xcode 9.3 release, but the Xcode 9.2 download from developer.apple.com allowed me to install the older Xcode next to it. After executing ;

sudo ln -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.3\ \(15E217\)/ /Applications/Xcode\ 9.2.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.3\ \(15E217\)

I can now use Xcode 9.2 to compile my project (Unity with Vuforia 7) for iOS 11.3 without losing the camera image.
    Of course I still hope to see the issue fixed, but this is a live saver. Thanks!

11. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

theolagendijk and super77gg like this.
  12. ZikW

ZikW

Thanks pedrohba, it worked!

pedrohba likes this.
  13. marvinzapf

marvinzapf

I am to stupid!
    Ok well... I have the Unity (Beta) 2018.1.0b13 Personal with Vuforia 7.1.31 and it is not fixed!

I also dont get how the Terminal Trick works.
    First I build my App with Unity.
    After that I go to Xcode and press play with my iPhone X (11.3) connected.
    App is installed and not working. (Black Screen)
    Than I go to Terminal and paste @pedrohba ´s code into it and enter my password.
    But It is not showing up and apparently incorrect!?

What should happen afterwards? Which message should I get from the Terminal to see if it worked?
    And than I just need to restart Xcode to open tin 9.2?!

Please help me out! I have to finish this project better sooner than later: ´D

davejones1 likes this.
  14. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

Hi marvinzapf,

I think I can help you out.
    When you take @pedrohba 's terminal command and it doesn't work that's probably because your system has different paths for where XCode 9.3 and XCode 9.2 or the 11.3 device support files are stored.

Open up a terminal. Start by typing "sudo ln -s /Applications/Xc" and then use [TAB] to browse through autocomplete for your folder structure. First navigate for the path that contains Xcode 9.3 and contains the 11.3 device support files. Than enter a space " " followed by "/Applications/Xc" and now [TAB] your way into the folder structure of XCode 9.2 and when you've reached the DeviceSupport folder add the new "11.3" link. [ENTER]. Provide your super user password to execute as super user. Voila, Xcode 9.2 can now build for iOS 11.3.
    Be advised, Unity's "Build & Run" will probably open up your project in Xcode 9.3 by default. Close it and open the exported Xcode project in Xcode 9.2.

Hope that helps.

Vuforia-Strasza likes this.
  15. fabiotgarcia

fabiotgarcia

16. fabiotgarcia

fabiotgarcia

When will Vuforia correct this terrible error?

17. KacperKoziel

KacperKoziel

For those who are not so familiar with terminal command, you can just copy those exact folder from Xcode 9.3 to Xcode 9.2.
    Navigate to DeviceSupport in Xcode 9.3 and copy 11.3 folder, then nagivate to DeviceSupport in Xcode 9.2 and paste. It should work.

ZikW and theolagendijk like this.
  18. glreese

glreese

So I upgraded to Xcode 9.3 - which I believe removed Xocde 9.2. And have the same issue. So just to be clear - you need reinstall Xcode 9.2 for this workaround to work? Thanks

19. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

Yes, but keep both versions next to each other. So for example I placed Xcode 9.2 in my "Applications" folder under the name "Xcode 9.2" next to "Xcode" ( which is my most up-to-date stable Xcode currently version 9.3 ).

20. plyrek

plyrek

Since this is an active thread I figure I will ask. I am getting the black camera screen problem but only on specific devices. In my case the iPad Pro 12.9 inch. It seems strange that an bug that has to do with such a fundamental thing as Xcode versions would show up in just one device. I don't want to mess around with the fixes here and end up breaking it for the other devices it is working on but hate to tell my client they have to buy a different device.

21. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

Hi plyrek,
    the issue is specific to iOS devices that support AR Kit. So yes, a lot of ( slightly older ) iOS devices will not have the black camera image issue.
    Cheers!

22. Aidan-Wolf

Aidan-Wolf

What is the ETA for the fix?

23. glreese

glreese

Thank you @theolagendijk That got it working. Timeline disaster averted.

@vuforia - you are doing a great job. please fix soonest :) Thank you all!

theolagendijk likes this.
  24. tomicz

tomicz

Is this gonna be fixed any soon, it's ruining my business, I can't run camera on iOS.

Blarp likes this.
  25. bsebag

bsebag

Hello,
    I am also experiencing the exact same issue. I can only test my mobile app when the front camera is selected.
    Are there any estimated dates for Vuforia to provide the patch for this issue?
    Thanks in advance.

26. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

I agree with you that this has to be fixed. But in the meantime you might be able to keep your business running with the workaround ( using Xcode 9.2 )?

27. dorukeker

dorukeker

Hello All,

Also had the same problem. Using Xcode 9.2 solved.

There is one catch:
    Xcode will complain that 9.2 cannot build to iOS11.3 because it does not have the support files.

Here is a solution:
    - Make sure you have both Xcode 9.3 and 9.2 installed
    - Go to device support folder for Xcode 9.3 and copy the folder for iOS 11.3 (for me /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/11.3 (......)
    - Then go to the same folder for Xcode 9.2 and paste that folder there (for me it is /Applications/Xcode_9.2.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport/ )

This would allow you to build your App for iOS 11.3 using Xcode 9.2

Hope this is useful.
    Cheers,
    Doruk

jipsen and tomicz like this.
  28. Aidan-Wolf

Aidan-Wolf

To confirm, building in Xcode 9.2 fixes the "black screen/no camera feed" issue in Vuforia? Thanks

29. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

Absolutely, see @pedrohba 's comment above or mine or @dorukeker 's, the three of us our actually using this approach. Works like a charm.

Aidan-Wolf likes this.
  30. porto

porto

I have tried brunoricardo3d´s method (from the terminal I copied 11.3 folder from xcode 9.3 to xcode 9.2) but I still cannot build on iOS 11.3. Any idea what causes this?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  31. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

Hi @porto,
    what do you mean when you say you can not build? What happens when you try to build? In your screenshot it appears that you have no iOS device USB connected to your system?.You should see your connected iOS devices in that Xcode 9.2 popup in your screenshot.

Attached Files:

32. porto

porto

Hi @theolagendijk ! thanks for your help, as you can see I haven´t enough skills with my english :p When I said can not build, I meant export my project from xCode to iPhone.

My device appears as connected in Window/Devices and Simulator but it doesn't appears connected in that popup.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  33. Aidan-Wolf

Aidan-Wolf

I'm running into the same issue, though I assume it's because I have 11.4 installed on my phone.

Last nail in the coffin for this fix.

34. tomicz

tomicz

How do I download xcode 9.2?

35. KacperKoziel

KacperKoziel

tomicz likes this.
  36. Bird_LYKKE

Bird_LYKKE

I copy 11.3 from device support folder from 9.3 to 9.2 but xcode 9.2 deployment target still not show on dropdown list.
    Did I miss something?

Attached Files:

37. tomicz

tomicz

Guys it works, thank you all!

38. KacperKoziel

KacperKoziel

theolagendijk and Bird_LYKKE like this.
  39. Bird_LYKKE

Bird_LYKKE

Of fix the black screen but got an error
    ERROR/AR(1342)
    CameraDevice::getCameraCalibration(): Failed to get camera calibration because the camera is not initialized.

And ARkit seem to be not working because I use Xcode 9.2?

40. areavisuale

areavisuale

Using xCode 9.2 I can see the Vuforia Camera on iOS 11.3 devices (I don't see the black screen anymore), but now there's another problem! The camera view has two black lines on top and bottom that appear randomly with different heights. They're difficult to see, it's easier on iPhoneX. I tested it with basic scenes.
    In the image that I have uploaded I created a canvas with red boxes at the borders. See the black lines??

Attached Files:

41. win_nuding

win_nuding

Hi @porto,
    did you close and restart Xcode 9.2?

42. win_nuding

win_nuding

The above mentioned trick helps to build for iOS 11.3 using Xcode 9.2. Unfortunately it does not help for producing .ipa files for the most recent iPad Pro. I tried to do something similar with the iPhoneSimulator.platform, but it did not work so far. does someone know how to do it?

43. bsebag

bsebag

When is Vuforia going to fix this?

44. bsebag

bsebag

Has anyone tested the last release 7.1.34? it was released on April 19th.

45. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

7.1.34 has the fix for this issue. This version will be available within Unity 2018.1.0f1 and later. Our understanding is that Unity will be releasing this version soon.

skdev3 likes this.
  46. skdev3

skdev3

How can update Vuforia without upgrading Unity? I have many animations compiled in bundles, and I can not update new version Unity.

PLS. Add the "Update Vuforia" button in the "Edit" menu, so done in many plugins on Unity.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  47. Aidan-Wolf

Aidan-Wolf

@skdev3 there's an update link in the the Vuforia Behaviour UI on the ARCamera object.

Although the update didn't work for me (failed to install), it may work for you!

Attached Files:

48. Aidan-Wolf

Aidan-Wolf

@Vuforia-Strasza Is the Vuforia 7.1.34 update installer incompatible with the newer Unity beta 2018.2.0b1?

Edit: tried with 2018.1.0b13 as well. Installer fails at "Validating Packages" phase.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  49. Aidan-Wolf

Aidan-Wolf

This issue was Unity Hub related. To successfully install the Vuforia update, drag the contents of Unity Hub > Editor > build# into the Unity folder, run the installer, and place back. The installer is based on the old folder structure.

50. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

All package updates done through Unity on Mac need to have the Unity installation in the "Unity" directory. The updates won't find the installation otherwise.