Search Unity

Kleines Wellennetz...

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by taumel, Jun 26, 2006.

1. taumel

taumel

2. Morgan

Morgan

Ha! You got a good doubletake from me with the loading meter!

Your pieces are really cool. Forget games, Unity can be art :) I love the sound.

3. thylaxene

thylaxene

nice! almost runs too fast on my G5 in fullscreen mode... 8) I too like the loading screen, did a double take and used the pop-up menu to double check i was running the unity plugin... btw good evangelising on the dir3d list! :wink:

cheers.

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Great to see Unity demos! Soon we'll need a "Unity" platform on pouët, along Flash and JavaScript!

5. Marble

Marble

Ha! Long live pouët, and the scene.

6. taumel

taumel

Hi,

thanks to all! :O)

@Morgan
    Well, i was in a melancholic mood yesterday, jammed a bit with my synth and thought a little loop would just fit fine into the demo.

@thylacine
    Hey i'm not evangelising. I'm just telling the truth, at least from my point of view, and that's a big difference... :O) By the way what do you mean with too fast exactly? Should be deltatimed...how many fps do you get?

@Aras Pranckevicius (why no more nearaz?)
    I would love to see some from you! :O)

Greetings,

taumel

7. thylaxene

thylaxene

That's cool, just poking fun at ya. :wink:

I was getting around 100-105 fps fullscreen. Just at that frame rate it felt the wobbling wasn't in time with the 'feel' of the music. Don't get me wrong I'm not criticizing! :D

Also could you share the fog settings with us? I have an undersea project that they would suit perfectly for.

cheers.

8. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

That would be a cool screen saver. Can you provide the .unityweb so that I can stick it in a scrensaver on my comp? Jeff

9. Morgan

Morgan

I'm not sure if people will LIKE that this works, but it does :) -- In Safari you can see the .unityweb file for any page in the ActivieViewer. Option-double-click it there and it downloads.

10. taumel

taumel

@thylacine
    100-105fps?! Wow this is a lot...i do get 33 on my mini and 43 on my pc. Unity isn't optimized for windows and/or your g5 system is extremely fast.

Well, as there is only one fog in unity so far there isn't much to share. The only parameter i played around with was the fog density which i've choosen to 0.03. Beside of the colour the rest are the default render settings...

@outcast
    Shouldn't it work if you just "Save as" the url of the unitywebfile? url: http://spielwiese.marune.de/_uni/wellennetz/wellennetz.unityweb

Regards,

taumel

11. thylaxene

thylaxene

When it plays in the browser it hover around 55fps, fullscreen it jumps to 100+fps. My system is the 2x2.3ghz, 2.5g ram and an ati x800 256mb card. I suspect the card is doing most of the work. :wink:

and thanks for the fog info.

cheers.

12. taumel

taumel

Hmm, i suspect it's more cpu bound...

Mac G4 1.25Ghz, 9200er => 33fps (fullscreen)
    Win P4 2.8 Ghz, 9800pro => 43 fps (fullscreen)

The win version should perform somehow better...

Regards,

taumel

13. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Fullscreen webplayer on windows also has a limited framerate. It's because of different ways Mac and Win embed plugins in the browser and process their events.

In other words: FPS in a webplayer on windows is not suitable for benchmarking or measuring performance. Unless you really stress test the system of course.

14. taumel

taumel

@thylacine
    I've just updated the wellennetz for you. Now it should be fine on your system as well...sorry!

@aras
    Mac (fullscreen) differs from 33 (web) to 35 (standalone)
    Win (fullscreen) differs from 43 (web) to 148 (standalone)

Why is there this huge difference on windows? It's not only the fps counter, it's really faster. Although i can't tell how much faster it is.

15. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Because the webplayer is limited to around 30 FPS.
    If you do your game logic frame-dependent, then you'll get different game speeds depending on FPS. Usually facroting in using Time.deltaTime when you do any motion each frame helps.

16. taumel

taumel

>>>Because the webplayer is limited to around 30 FPS.<<<

Why is this so and why do i then get more than 30fps?

17. thylaxene

thylaxene

no need to be apologize. 8) but thanks it's much better. the mood isn't lost now when i go fullscreen. :D

cheers.

18. taumel

taumel

>>>no need to be apologize. 8) but thanks it's much better. the mood isn't lost now when i go fullscreen. :D<<<

Well, this happens if you do "in the break"-coding... ;O)

19. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Because it's not exactly 30FPS (in fact it tries to run at 60FPS, but how much does it actually get depends on browser and other things). In windows web browser, a plugin does not just run by itself - instead it runs via browser's message loop. And we don't want to hog the CPU by letting the plugin run at maximum speed.

Hence we use timers (if plugin runs in the same thread as browser) or sleeping (if plugin runs on a separate thread). Both of these can't by guarantee a fixed framerate, so it just happens that you get the limit of 43FPS.

20. taumel

taumel

Okay...hmmm i suspect that the value i receive by Time.deltaTime isn't just a fake value and it's a realistic one. So with also taking some factor x for plugin overhead into account isn't there still a wide gap between 43fps running in a browser and 148fps running offline?

From these numbers i would suspect there should be enough air so that the web version is able to run at 60fps without slowing down the system?!