Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Kinematica: Can't build Kinematica Asset - Error_Ptr must be part of root compound

Discussion in 'Animation Previews' started by BenMM, Aug 27, 2020.

1. BenMM

BenMM

I had an issue with the hierarchy of our charater having the root as first child. After changing it to be pelvis first i am not able to build the kinematica asset anymore. After Sampling the animation clips i get the error below. The setup is as follows:
    One fbx for the scene with no animations and a seperate fbx which contains all the animation clips. Rig is set to Root - Pelvis_Def, Animations to Root motion node - Root_Def and the kinnematica assets metrics are Tags BipedLocomotion.Idle/Locomotion, Joints Pelvis/ankle_L/Ankle_R are activated. I am on the most recent Kinematica version 0.8.
    upload_2020-8-27_13-45-53.png upload_2020-8-27_13-46-55.png
    Any ideas in fixing this issue?

Another bothersome issue: I have experienced an issue multiple times now where at some point all the animations, i have dragged into the kinematica asset from my fbx containing them all, change name and are all called like the first one contained in the fbx. Also all animationclips now contain the same animation. Tags stay as they have been.
    upload_2020-8-27_13-55-33.png
    upload_2020-8-27_13-51-18.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  2. FrancoisFournel

FrancoisFournel

Unity Technologies

Hello,

I don't see what cause the first issue, would it be possible to send me your project by DM so that I can have a look ?

For the second issue, unfortunately this is a stupid bug on our side that prevent support of several animation clips inside the same FBX. We will obviously fix this issue for the next version (released in upcoming weeks), meanwhile you can work around the issue by using a FBX file per individual animation clip. Sorry for the inconvenience

3. simonaaitor

simonaaitor

Hi, I'm also stuck with the first problem, tried to use the heretic's digital human model (unity demo), but same error occurs, is there any set of rules a model must follow to work with kinematica?

Thanks.

4. FrancoisFournel

FrancoisFournel

Unity Technologies

Hello, unfortunately this is a bug on our side that will be fixed for next version. Meanwhile, you can fix it locally this way :
    • Open Blob.cs file in kinematicatest-master\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.kinematica@0.8.0-preview\Runtime\Supplementary\Blobs
    • Replace line 24
      int size = 1024 * 1024 * 256;
      by
      int size = 1024 * 1024 * 1024; // or bigger number if problem still persist

5. simonaaitor

simonaaitor

Thanks, it did solve the issue. Really looking forward to retargeting and humanoid anims support if it ever happens. It would make using any character a breeze. Meanwhile, the only way to use the given animation clips with another character is to create a custom rig just like the one in the demos? (final demo or biped locomotion).

6. FrancoisFournel

FrancoisFournel

Unity Technologies

"Meanwhile, the only way to use the given animation clips with another character is to create a custom rig just like the one in the demos? " Correct.

When Kinematica will be ported to DOTs it will leverage DOTs Animation retargeting and offer more flexibility, but meanwhile indeed retargeting options are limited.

For the record we tried to leverage humanoid retargeting for non-DOTs Kinematica, but because humanoid retargeting is a kind of black box, this lead to a pretty non usable workflow with Kinematica

simonaaitor and florianhanke like this.