Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Kinematic Parts of Physical Whole?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by artwhaley, Apr 11, 2018.

1. artwhaley

artwhaley

I may be trying to do something totally the wrong way... but what I THINK I want is a kinematic joint in the middle of a tree of physical objects. I'm making a robotic linkage between two other pieces and want to be able to move one piece around relative to the other. I've got that sort of working... but... it's creating a huge amount of 'phantom force.' If I bring the two pieces together... one of them punts the other with UGODLY velocity at the collision... when what should happen is nothing - since they're joined by the robotic arm, conservation of momentum should mean that one can't affect the other physically.

If I set the linking part to kinematic... it works, but that seems to make the whole object kinematic - physics no longer acts on any part of it.

So what i think I want is a collection of objects that behave like a single joined whole, but with a linkage where I can reconfigure their shape in a 'physics neutral' way.

I hope I've explained that clearly enough. Can anyone point me down the correct rabbit hole?