Search Unity

Kinematic body following another

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by snacktime, Jun 22, 2021.

1. snacktime

snacktime

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but this seems next to impossible.

Body A is dynamic. Body B is kinematic with a local position to A. Body C is kinematic with a local position to B.

B's local to A varies as it has some buoyancy logic. C's local to B is constant. So C cannot follow A.

2. steveeHavok

steveeHavok

DOTS Physics set the Translation and Rotation components of dynamic bodies in World Space. If B is parented to A (and C to B) then you will get strange movement. B and C should be at the root.

3. snacktime

snacktime

There is no parenting. B is connected to A with a limited DOF joint, and moved/rotated with PhysicsVelocity.CalculateVelocityToTarget. I did have C connected to B with a fixed joint and that moves correctly but somehow the velocity isn't transferred through in a way where the Rival character controller can interact (and I don't want to turn on dynamic body interaction in Rival).

So what works good enough is just let C lag behind B. It's imprecise box colliders anyways. The rendering for C is completely separate so I can just use the current interpolated values of B there and it's all good.