Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[kinda SOLVED] Stylized Grass Shading like in Zelda BotW

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by flogelz, Sep 23, 2019.

1. flogelz

flogelz

So I'm currently getting into geometry shaders and want to recreate the grass from Zelda BotW!

Grass_BotW_2.jpg

Now a lot of solutions for grass/foliage shaders suggest to edit the normals to get kind of unified shading. I believe the grass in BotW copies the normals from the ground to the individual grass strands. Similar to this technique over here: https://polycount.com/discussion/209623/smooth-foliage-like-in-breath-of-the-wild-europa-by-helder-pinto-mini-tutorial

Here's how my grass looks until now: Grass_3.png

When my grass copies the normals this way and i look towards the sun, i get this kind of shading effect, which seem like a weird reflections of the sun- It increases then i turn up the smoothness of the grass and when i look towards the sun.

Grass_4.png

There must be something wrong on my end, since i can't imagine, that all these solutions suffer under the same problem-

2. flogelz

flogelz

Here's another example of the weird shading just using a plane, with normals pointed upwards and the standard shader-

Grass_GIF_2.gif

3. flogelz

flogelz

OK! So after I spent way too much time looking at grass in the past few days, I finally got a clue, that BotW indeed uses the same approach and has to deal with the same difficulties! Take a look at this comparison!

Grass_Clue_1.png

If you look closely, it's the same weird light falloff in areas that seem to have higher smoothness! Now I atleast know, that they somehow worked with this problem, instead of using a different lighting model in the first place or some other approach.

4. GarrettF

GarrettF

Hey is there a tutorial or any direction you could give as to how you made this grass? Also how performance heavy is it? I'm currently working on a project in HDRP and am trying to find a way to get nice lush grass like this without having 70k batches and 3 fps.

Thanks, and sorry about reviving the old post. Hard to find lots of good info on this subject.

flogelz likes this.
  5. flogelz

flogelz

Here you go! - > https://roystan.net/articles/grass-shader.html

The grass is created using a geometry shader. Apparently these are very expensive, but I like their functionality, so atleast for now, I'm gonna stick with one. I can't specifically tell how expensive they are (depends on the use case i guess) but maybe some one in the forums knows more!

I'm not sure if they are supported in HDRP tho-

lasiaylo and Ng0ns like this.
  6. vasubhatt60

vasubhatt60

asset on the assetstore that may help https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/smm-stylized-grass-184975 hdrp compatible