Search Unity

Kind of scared about my games performance on other computers/consoles

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Robster95, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Robster95

Robster95

Let me start by saying I'm posting under scripting because it seems to get the most amount of responses!

I am working on a horror game that has one terrain with the size of 1000 x 1000. The lighting in the scene is pretty low and gets lower throughout the beginning of the game then stays quite dark.

The game is based in a forest and has trees placed ALL OVER the terrain by using the unity terrain tree placement. I have a LOD on the trees and a fog effect from the lighting system. When the trees disappear into the fog they are culled and therefore no longer being rendered into the game.

I also have occlusion culling on and have almost every object in the game as an occluder and occludee.

My biggest concern is due to my tree's (I'm guessing) as the lowest I saw, my game has about 1M tri's and roughly 1M verts and at a max I've seen about 10.2M tri's and roughly the same in Verts.

How much is too much of each and how are some ways to help improve the quality and frames of my game?

Ps. Whenever I look at the unity Profiler I see the CPU has 605.79ms and the GPU just has a --ms next to it. Does this mean the game isnt utilizing the GPU and is just running off of the CPU?

Thank you guys!

2. koirat

koirat

How many types of textures/materials are your trees using.
    What is your batch count ?

3. Robster95

Robster95

There are two types of trees. Tall ones and short thin ones. Each tree has two textures/ material, one bark and one for leaves. The leaves are the same on each tree but the bark is different. For each bark and leaves I also have the Enable GPU instancing checked to true.

For the batches count I have around 400 in the non populated areas with about 600+ being saved by batching and about 1200 looking into the most populated areas with upwards to 2000+ being saved by batching