Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback [kind of big bug] Project settings>Player tab is completely blank

Discussion in '2019.2 Beta' started by legoblaster1234, May 7, 2019.

?

Will I have to make a new project? Is this one just gone?

Poll closed May 14, 2019.
  1. Yes, make a new one.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, you can save it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. legoblaster1234

legoblaster1234

I upgraded my project from a beta of something like 2018.1 or .2 (yes, 2018, not 2019) to 2019.2.0a14. Everything was going fine and I was looking through the player settings to try and change my color space when I clicked the sub-tab for the app icon (I think) inside of the player tab. Everything was working fine until I tried opening that tab. After I clicked it everything just went blank like this:
    upload_2019-5-7_14-16-1.png
    I've tried closing and re-opening Unity which didn't work. Not really sure what to do here.
    Steps to recreate: I have no idea ;(
    Any help to save me from the time of making a new project and migrating everything over would be thanked.

shankard and ForMiSoft like this.
  2. print_helloworld

print_helloworld

Reproduce this on your end, and then upload the Editor.log file

aliajz and Sma1ly like this.
  3. Mullan7

Mullan7

I have this too. For me I'm getting errors saying I don't have JAVA_HOME and PATH set correctly. I'm pretty sure I do, because typing java into the command line works. But these things are always fiddly so I'm not certain. I'm on 2019.2a11, but I'm pretty sure this all worked fine in an earlier version of the alpha. I can't say for sure until I try downgrading, so I haven't submitted a bug report

Edit:
    2019.1 works fine for me. Looks like a 2019.2 bug

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  4. legoblaster1234

legoblaster1234

I've been able to fix it by making a new project and then copying the contents of my assets folder over. I had to redo all of my inputs for my game and a few other things but it wasn't too bad.
    One thing I wish I had tried before deleting the broken project file would be to try clicking on the layout button in the top right of the editor and clicking "revert factory settings". It fixed an issue I was having where the blackboard in the shader graph was missing.

Atpykal likes this.
  5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please submit a bug report for this with a reproduction project?

6. legoblaster1234

legoblaster1234

I'm afraid I have uninstalled the version of unity I was using before and don't know how to reproduce the bug. It was just kind of a strange fluke. I think it had to do with what splash screens I had on my project before upgrading it to 2019.2

7. Sixtiii

Sixtiii

Did anyone upload log files of this problem? I have same problem right now.

8. Mullan7

Mullan7

It worked for me after installing 2019.0b4

9. srzkptrsk

srzkptrsk

Same issue. Maybe it helps you.

Attached Files:

10. brainyxs

brainyxs

I get the same Errors with 2019.3.0a2. Someone a solution?

11. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

It would be great if you could create a bug report and attach the project to it so we can have a look.

12. Kulkejszyn

Kulkejszyn

It has happened to me also, after pressing on Change Icon button.

13. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Unity staff asked twice (1, 2) in this thread to submit a bug-report. If you're interested to get this issue fixed, I recommend to no longer ignore this request and submit a bug-report as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

It's important that you report these issues together with a reproduction project if you want them to get fixed. If you don't do it, it might be a long time until someone else reports them or until Unity Technologies find them.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. Please post the Case number (number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up.

14. Adefuye

Adefuye

[SOLUTION]
    - I switched the target platform from Android to Windows/Linux/Mac
    - went to File > Build Settings > Project Settings > Player
    - within the Win/LX/Mac Build settings, I switched to the Android Tab and modified what i needed from there
    - then i switched target platform back to Android and i was able to fully utilize Player settings again

- Honestly dont know what caused the bug, but It's been found on Unity 2019.3.0a5/0a7

15. brainyxs

brainyxs

I could fix it. Yust wait for about 30 minutes.

16. engeen

engeen

Same problem, below are the Logs for 2019.3.0a2.

Switching building platforms didn't work for me, but installing the latest JDK and rebooting did.

---
    CommandInvokationFailure: Failed to update Android SDK package list.
    G:/android-sdk-windows\tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat --list

stderr[

]
    stdout[

ERROR: JAVA_HOME is not set and no 'java' command could be found in your PATH.

Please set the JAVA_HOME variable in your environment to match the
    location of your Java installation.
    ]
    exit code: 1
    UnityEditor.Android.Command.WaitForProgramToRun (UnityEditor.Utils.Program p, UnityEditor.Android.Command+WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit, System.String errorMsg) (at <09fb842e54344d71a10c8b2669f5eaed>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.Command.Run (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo psi, UnityEditor.Android.Command+WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit, System.String errorMsg) (at <09fb842e54344d71a10c8b2669f5eaed>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.SDKManager.UpdatePackagesList () (at <09fb842e54344d71a10c8b2669f5eaed>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.SDKManager.HighestVersionInstalled (UnityEditor.Android.SDKManager+Component tool) (at <09fb842e54344d71a10c8b2669f5eaed>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.AndroidPlatformIconProvider.GetCurrentSetAndroidSDKVersion () (at <09fb842e54344d71a10c8b2669f5eaed>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.AndroidPlatformIconProvider.UpdateSDKVersion () (at <09fb842e54344d71a10c8b2669f5eaed>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.AndroidPlatformIconProvider.get_targetSDKSupportsAdaptiveIcons () (at <09fb842e54344d71a10c8b2669f5eaed>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.PlayerSettingsEditorExtension.IconSectionGUI () (at <09fb842e54344d71a10c8b2669f5eaed>:0)
    UnityEditor.PlayerSettingsEditor.IconSectionGUI (UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup targetGroup, UnityEditor.Modules.ISettingEditorExtension settingsExtension, System.Int32 sectionIndex) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/PlayerSettingsEditor/PlayerSettingsEditor.cs:802)
    UnityEditor.PlayerSettingsEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/PlayerSettingsEditor/PlayerSettingsEditor.cs:572)
    UnityEditor.AssetSettingsProvider.OnGUI (System.String searchContext) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Settings/Providers/AssetSettingsProvider.cs:94)
    UnityEditor.SettingsWindow.DrawControls () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Settings/SettingsWindow.cs:322)
    UnityEditor.SettingsWindow.DrawSettingsPanel () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Settings/SettingsWindow.cs:313)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:280)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

---
    GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

---
    ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.repaint
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.RenderChain.Render (UnityEngine.Rect topRect, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 projection) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRChainBuilder.cs:236)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIRRepaintUpdater.DrawChain (UnityEngine.Rect topRect, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 projection) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRRepaintUpdater.cs:60)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIRRepaintUpdater.Update () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRRepaintUpdater.cs:48)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeUpdater.UpdateVisualTree () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/VisualTreeUpdater.cs:72)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.Panel.Repaint (UnityEngine.Event e) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:670)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:274)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:107)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)

---
    Scope was not disposed! You should use the 'using' keyword or manually call Dispose.
    UnityEngine.Scope:Finalize()

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    bananapowerz likes this.
  17. taisuken

taisuken

i oso got that problem for unity 2019.2.0b7

18. bananapowerz

bananapowerz

Thanks, ty a lot. You save me. It works. thx

19. flexgames

flexgames

Same problem here

20. davidro_unity

davidro_unity

Unity Technologies

Just an update. I have a potential fix for this that we will begin testing very shortly.

21. BStheOne

BStheOne

Just happened for me in 2019.2.0f1

22. BStheOne

BStheOne

I actually solved it. It seems that it's more of a Java/Windows Problem than a Unity problem.
    I added JAVA_HOME variable to the Windows Environment Variables and OpenJDK path that installed with unity.
    here is the link that is helpful. (JDK Configuration section):
    https://codenotfound.com/java-download-install-jdk-8-windows.html

after configuring JDK, restart your computer and then go the player section and everything will be there. I also reset the player section from the top right corner, cause it was kind of laggy.

23. combinecrab

combinecrab

I have encountered this error on multiple builds (2018/2019). It was accompanied by an exception thrown in the com.unity.ide.rider@1.0.8 package. I uninstalled rider and removed this package from all affected projects and this issue was fixed. Now I use VSCode.

24. ZAIX

ZAIX

I had the same error. I tried solutions from this topic, but none of them helped.
    For me it worked this way: I've installed previous version of Unity 2019.1.13f1 and opened project with it - checked that player settings work fine there. Then launched Unity 2019.2.0.f1 and now Android Player settings works correct.

25. mehamednews

mehamednews

I have submeted a bug report with photos of the consol etc... So I hope you'll solve the problem soon

26. DeliaF_Manea

DeliaF_Manea

Unity Technologies

27. badjano

badjano

Unity 2019.2
    Android Player settings doesn't open and shows this error, Unity 2019.1 was working fine
    CommandInvokationFailure: Failed to update Android SDK package list.

28. DeliaF_Manea

DeliaF_Manea

Unity Technologies

The developers are aware of this issue and are looking into it.

29. skeptic_always

skeptic_always

I realize the devs are working on this, but I'm really hoping someone has a work around or manual fix for me. 2019.2 was working fine, but just crapped out a couple days ago.

I'm on OS X and I'm really struggling here. I've tried everything I can think of including installing the latest version of openjdk, reboot (multiple times), switching build platforms, removing/installing 2019.2.0f1 both with and without the Android SDK/NDK and OpenJDK modules. I've cleaned out everything that appears to be related to unity, java or jdk that I could find in my home directory, mainly ~Library and dot files. I'm obviously missing something because starting a new 2019.2 project opens withe project settings already open (android panel blank, same errors others have posted above, even on a new project). Also, Unity Hub is not asking me to login - so wherever all that is stored I'm not removing it even though I tried to remove all Unity settings. Another new twist, I can remove the projects from the project list, restart Unity Hub, and those projects are listed again.

If I start a 2019.1 project, Project Settings -> Player -> Settings for Android is just fine. I also created a new user and started a new 2019.2 project and that worked fine. I really think there is a corrupted setting somewhere that I simply cannot find. I really don't want to be forced to use a previous version and I REALLY don't want to have to switch users every time it breaks.

30. Djikow

Djikow

Thank you! This solved it for me on 2019.2.0f1. But each time I try to expand Icon settings for android everything disappear again. Seems to be a bug related to Icon Settings for android.

31. skeptic_always

skeptic_always

After going down the rabbit hole and trying everything I could think of that seemed even remotely related, I believe I finally found a solution for MY version of the problem. The short answer is I tracked down an old openJDK 8 (or 1.8, however you want to refer to it), installed that, and disabled the various newer JDK versions. I have my theories as to why it was working fine, then broke, but would work with unity 2019.1 or when logged in as a different user, but I can't be bothered to test those ideas. This worked for me, hopefully it will work for everyone else that isn't fixed by other suggestions above. It does leave you stuck on a really old and unsupported JDK, but hopefully Unity comes out with an actual fix soon.

32. Atpykal

Atpykal

I had the same issue (Player settings not appearing) and tried your factory settings suggestion and IT WORKED! thank you so much, I've been dealing with this for days. My art team uses a lot of the new features in 2019.2+ so going back to 2019.1 wasn't an option. Anyone else having this issue, try this first, it's a simple theoretical fix.

33. digital-synapse

digital-synapse

this seems to be related to an unhandled error caused by package name validation.
    I had the same problem android player settings window was empty and throwing errors.
    I solved this by simply fixing the android package name,

First i opened ProjectSettings.asset and removed all instances of my invalid package name - not sure if this step was actually needed though.
    Then i switched platform back to windows. then open player settings and switch to the android tab. then removed the illegal hyphen from my package name. then i switched platform back to android and started a new build.
    android player settings open and display as expected.

34. tiz777

tiz777

I got the same error today, and in my case (after reinstalling "half Java world" without any positive effect) seemed related to the package name that contained some unwanted chars like space, "!" and "_". I switched platform to standalone, changed it, reswitched to Android and voilà, player prefs are back!
    Hope could help someone!

35. elysseeum

elysseeum

On Unity 2019.3.0.

I'm following this tutorial trying to get a handle on the whole workflow: https://unity3d.com/cn/learn/tutori...ilding-your-unity-game-android-device-testing

I'm testing it out on a completely fresh project, no other assets or my own materials included, and even without the sample project, I get stuck on step "Preparing your Unity project for building to Android" with this issue.

Even when platform is not set to android, opening the Android player settings tab gives me this window. [see image]
    player settings android.JPG

Also attached is the windows player setting window, for reference, and my console errors.
    player settings windows.JPG consoleErrors.JPG

I've tried pretty much every fix in the thread, including old JDKs and rebooting and different computers but I'm at wit's end, and the project has just begun.

If anyone has other tips or ideas, please let me know.

36. thinlez7karscl707

thinlez7karscl707

Build the project, once it has been built, click on the player settings again. It will appear. This method worked for me.

JCereda likes this.
  37. FreeformStudios

FreeformStudios

This worked for me.

38. unity_yQj6YPooOcwdsg

unity_yQj6YPooOcwdsg

"Build" asks me to enter passwords for signing.

39. atalkingfish

atalkingfish

I'm also having this issue. Interestingly, this issue did not come when I upgraded Unity. I have worked with this window several times since I upgraded to 2019.2.2f. Suddenly, today, I can't get into this window.

I tried a couple things on this thread, such as restoring the windows to factory settings, changing the platform to standalone, and none of them worked. However, it seemed after

1) Making a build to Android
    2) Selecting another build type (iOS in my case)
    3) Going to "Player Settings" THROUGH the Build Settings (the button on it)

Somewhere in that process the issue got resolved. However, it wasn't resolved right after building to Android.

40. dest69

dest69

Download JDK -> install -> download SDK -> install -> update drivers(how to update look in YouTube) (i fix this so)

41. atalkingfish

atalkingfish

After previously resolving this issue by making a build to Android, I am having this issue again. Except for this time, it's asking for the keystone password before making a build, which I cannot do because those settings are in the player settings! So now I'm very stuck, unable to build to Android or make any changes to the player settings. Is there a fix for this?

42. conjoba

conjoba

Hi
    I have notice that this occures when i try to open the icon. So if i choose another player and close the icon section everything is ok for me. I hope this helpe anyone.

Update:
    I update to latest version 2019.2.6f1 solved the issue for me.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  43. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

I changed the Company Name and I did use a Space, so perhaps this illegal char caused it to break? Officially, the Player tab doesn't disappear until I touched the Icon tab. I think if I can restore it back to factory and NOT use white space this should work, eh? Lemme find out. BrB

Edit:
    Restoring the layout back to factory didn't make the Player tab become visible again. I think I'm going to try and go into the project files and remove the asset that's miss-named as you advised. See if that works.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  44. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

Okay, the solution that I found for 2019.2.1f1:
    1. Switched platform to Windows Pc
    2. Edit>ProjectSettings>Player: (I fixed the company name illegal char[WhiteSpace]
    3. Switched back to Android platform
    4. File>BuildSettings>Build&Run
    5. Created an APK and built the project
    The project downloaded to my phone successfully and the Player tab is no longer blank.

I can't say for certain that having white space actually caused this to break Unity, however, I had no errors up until that time. Immediately the problem began after. So it was brought to my attention by @digital-synapse that illegal characters can cause an issue such as hyphens and apparently white space.

eyupunity likes this.
  45. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

46. lubobelovski

lubobelovski

I have also had this problem and here is how i fixed it (using unity 2019.2.0a9, building a game on the Android platform).

The player setting did not show whatsoever so i tried just clicking on the PC/Mac/Linux platform (not switching, i tried that and it did not work, settings were still blank) and then clicking player settings which worked but not entirely. I could click on the PC settings but when i clicked on the Android settings the screen went blank again. I then clicked on WebGL settings and secondly i then tried clicking on the Android settings and to my surprise everything was there!

Just commenting in case it might help someone.

47. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

So basically keep clicking on stuff until it stops being buggy and fixes itself, basically? lol
    This seems to be efficient in most cases of this issue. The question is, what caused the bug to happen for you? For me, it was when I altered my Company Name in the Player tab. That's when the bug occurred.

48. Alyster_Vodka

Alyster_Vodka

Thanks! This is the only thing that solved it for me, you are my hero

49. lubobelovski

lubobelovski

I don't remember what caused it sadly. I do remember messing with the Player settings but nothing that i think would have caused a bug.

MisterSkitz likes this.
  50. honor0102

honor0102

This one Worked in my case
    before that,I tried installing JDK and JRE, didn't work in my case, I also switched platforms, it didn't help too
    I built the player for android (even my build failed because of Gradle error) but player settings came back!
    you can try building and then navigate to the android player settings,it might help you too