Search Unity

Kickstarter is officially dead to me,

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dxcam1, Mar 25, 2013.

1. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Not to mention the fact that the whole project is about HER GETTNG TO THAT CAMP.
    She doesn't even give a description on what the game is going to be about.
    There is very little or next to nothing about this RPG project.

The purpose of Kickstarter is to fund projects - the purpose of this particular Kickstarter is about getting money with some fictitious sounding excuse. It devotes majority of its content not in describing the project (the RPG) itself. Surely you can understand that?

This is even worse than ALL the '13 yr old want to make MMO' projects we see at the Work-in-Progress section of the forum everyday - at least these 13 yr olds with MMO aspirations talk about their project and ideas - while this one talks nothing about it.

2. dxcam1

dxcam1

And also the fact that she already paid for it...

3. khanstruct

khanstruct

4. Jaimi

Jaimi

She's posted an update that addresses these complaints - Yes, it's approved by Kickstarter. No it doesn't violate TOS. No, they're not going to take the extra money, and burn it for fun while laughing at everyone elses failed projects. And the people sending death threats to her 9 year old daughter are complete douchebags.

That was paraphrased, of course.

They are however able to attend the day camp:

http://www.internaldrive.com/why-id...ended-day-camp-options-at-our-computer-camps/

5. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

She thinks she discovered a gold mine by exploring the good intentions of unsuspecting people. This woman made funding women a way of life. She even has a site named "www.fundher.com". This 9-year KS is just a "junior" version of the FundHer scam.

Before exploring gender issues, she was used to do Cybersquatting. This alone shows her bussiness ethics.

It should be put down because it violates KS ToS. If it was not for that, people can fund what they want, even set their own money on fire if they wish so.

But this don't annoy me in any way, it's just at the same time interesting and sad how people can be easily deceived.

6. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

Did you already decide how much you'll donate?

7. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

LOL, so, even after she broke the "rules" (ToS - see pics for evidence and check out her twitter account), Kickstarter still support her. LMAO.

So what are the rules for anyway? Kickstarter should apologise and compensate for all the projects they cancelled in the past for violated the rules that this woman did now and got away with it.

8. dxcam1

dxcam1

She has millions of dollars, the rules don't apply.

9. khanstruct

khanstruct

And if you're only looking to raise $900, why would you have a $10,000 reward tier? This disgusting woman is exploiting her daughter to make a quick buck.

Here's another fun fact. At one point, they had over $22k raised. They're now below $21k (lost almost 1000 just today). People are wising up and pulling out.

NOTE: Kickstarter said she didn't break the rules last week. This was before they knew about her spamming people all over Twitter, so we'll see.

This is also cute:
    Interesting. Cuz earlier this year, she had this to say about her success:
    $susanwilsonmillioanare.jpg

So she was a founding member of a company that was sold for $100 million, but she didn't receive any money... she can, however, afford to go to Harvard... but not send her daughter to camp.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  10. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

You have to pretty morally bankrupt to do what she did, it almost seems too absurd to be true. Its likes someone who makes millions of dollars a year, decides to stop off mcdonalds panhandle enough for a big mac, then drive to car lot and buy a new car.

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

$10. It's for the kids. I like puppies too. (when they're housebroken).

12. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

It's not for the kids. She's already going to camp. It would have happened regardless of Kickstarter.

13. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I think the Kickstarter is not worth Kickstarter being dead to you! It could be A) funny if it fails, or B) incredibly awesome if it succeeds.

A) is funny because, well, sibling rivalry. Sibling A is taunted for [stupid reason here] by Sibling B, so Sibling A attempts to accomplish [feat] to prove them wrong. Not judging it, per se. I just can't help but laugh a bit. Maybe that's just me.

B) ...you have to ask? A 9-year-old girl making her own RPG, and rubbing her brothers' noses in it. Points for execution (see A), delivery, and result. Inherently awesome. All it needs is bears.

14. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

Kickstarter deleted the parody project that was created. (it was in http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...token=3fa62ca3 )

The parody project title was something like: "43-year-old needs to build a scam to prove people are dumb" lol

Kickstarter does not have a sense of humour.

15. dxcam1

dxcam1

Faith in humanity = Lost

16. IvoryOasis

IvoryOasis

A fool and his money is soon parted :)

17. TehWut

TehWut

don't know if it's already been posted here is a reddit thread describing the scams and shenanigans into detail

18. Jaimi

Jaimi

So, I'm a fool for spending $10 on a childs dream? Why, is it because the mother is rich? Or is it because I'm not allowed to support things you don't like? Or what is it? So, what's the cutoff for using Kickstarter? Should we base it on how much people pay in taxes? Or how much money people they know make? Are YOU too rich for Kickstarter? Maybe you should oversee who is worthy?

Or maybe it should be like it is - a place anyone can use, and anyone can support any project they like.

Not appreciating the fool comment. I've cancelled my pledge on your Kickstarter.

19. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Since you're so intent on defending this garbage:

$1297984d6eb358f2dd502e4478661b1f_large.png

That's from the Kickstarter itself. You are not funding a child's dream. The child's dream was funded already. By her mother.

This Kickstarter is for her mother to recoup the money she already spent on this. It is a scam of the highest order. Everything past the initial goal (which were there from the start, which is another ToS violation) is so her mother will send her to camp longer.

20. dtg108

dtg108

WTH is this? Isn't RPG maker free? This doesn't seem like a scam at all *sarcasm*. Besides, the mothers face on the kickstarter page will haunt my dreams.

21. Khyrid

Khyrid

It's not a child's dream, it's a parent's scam, obviously.

Because you are supporting a scam artist, but you are allowed to, nobody said you weren't (careful with straw-mans).

We should base it off the motivation of the person making the kickstarter. Sincere projects are good, petty scams are not. It wouldn't matter if Bill Gates was making one, what matters is why he would be making it.

I agree, anyone can not support projects they don't like and avoid scams also. People are also free to call out scams for what they are.

Being called a fool may have been accurate towards you, but name calling is childish, people should make reasoned arguments as to why your position is foolish and avoid name calling, this I agree with you on and I think you are owed an apology.

22. Dabeh

Dabeh

While I appreciate you standing up for your beliefs(which I respect), this project deserves none of it.

The child deserves it; I may have even pledged if this was an actual kickstarter that wasn't made to abuse gender issues and to exploit her children(refer to the sons issue).

If it was just a mum that wanted to help fund her child to make a game and she did it the RIGHT way then this would have been okay. But it's a woman who exploited and used cheap tactics and is OUTRIGHT LYING in her comments ("IM NOT RICH") also, she calls herself a "99 percenter"(even though she's rich).

She lied through and through(I do believe the child exists and she wants to go to camp..but people are capable of terrible things). There is no "interpretation" here. Who needs a 10k pledge for a $900 project...? I'm so confused.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  23. Jaimi

Jaimi

I disagree that I am a fool. I could not care less if the mother is Bill Gates with a sex change, and she showers in champagne, and lights imported french cigarettes with $20 bills. It's like those fundraisers, where the kids come by your house, and you buy some ridiculously priced box of popcorn. Does it matter if their parent is rich? Not really - it's only $10, and for $10, some little girl is squealing with happiness that someone else believes she can do something. I truly don't believe Kickstarter is only for helping out people who can't do it on their own. I believe it is simply a way for connecting projects with patrons.

24. nipoco

nipoco

Did ask yourself these simple questions?:

Why does she have a 10K pledge, if only around $900 are needed?

Why does she spam Twitter accounts of various celebrities to get so much attention?

Why did a woman that is a self proclaimed millionaire, ran some questionable funding campaigns in the past?

Why is her own funding site down now?

Also that, that and that...

I wouldn't call you a fool. I respect you (and I love your shaders) But you're either naive, or simple want to buck the trend, for whatever reasons.

Eventually it is your money. You can do whatever you want with it :)

25. dtg108

dtg108

Thanks for that info nicopo. The cape project? What the HECK? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/susanwilson/the-cape-project

I don't even know if her daughter will be the one making the game or WANTING to make the game. Maybe the mom is doing this to make some money. I don't know. But what I DO know is that you shouldn't be funding her. She does seem like a scam. And that $10,000 dollar thing is ridiculous. REALLY? Making them publicly apologize? That's the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard. They pointed out that their sister might not be able to make a game, and then their mom decides that she's going to make a big deal and a little extra cash. That's what this sounds like.

And this is crazy! Who would ask for this?: http://i.imgur.com/jIduN8G.png

26. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

And, finally, ask why this exists at all when the camp was already paid for.

27. Jaimi

Jaimi

Thanks! :)

I guess I just don't like all the hate thrown at Kickstarter projects that people don't agree with or like. People see a scam - I see a woman trying to teach her daughter how business works. It really feels like too little money to worry about.

But I've obviously blathered on about it too much. I'll shut up about it.

28. IvoryOasis

IvoryOasis

You are not supporting a childs dream, you are supporting a mother in a blatant attempt to scam the public (but she is using her child to try and spin the entire thing as if it is about "getting women into the industry" and "she needs the money" and all sorts of other manipulative tactics).

That is why you are a fool. Even when you are pointed to the obvious ...you still cling to some ideal that this is all in the name of "a childs dream". Like I told you, "it is easier to fool a man than to convince him he has been fooled".

LOL thanks for pledging for 1 minute to post you are cancelling in the comments and then cancel the pledge?

Sorry you can't take the news you are a fool. Unlike her, I'm not into manipulating stupid people into giving me money.. I do business openly and honestly... so... take your pledge and add it to her campaign :) There is a sort of poetic beauty if you do that for me :)

As they also say "suffer not the simpletons" ~_~ I don't have the patience to coddle people like you.

29. dtg108

dtg108

While I agree that this is a scam, and she's just using her child to make some cash, the name calling isn't very nice. I respect Jaimi a great deal, and I don't think we should be calling names. It's his money, he can spend it however.

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

Don't need coddling. Don't need anything you can give me. Nor am I a simpleton or a fool. Neither do I hate people (or their children) just because of how much money they make. I'm not sure where your ire comes from. Are you really concerned that I'm somehow losing $10? Somehow I don't think it's that.

Thanks! And I thought I was getting out of this thread. :( This time it's for real! I swear!

31. Khyrid

Khyrid

I think everything there is to be discussed about this has been discussed. Thread locked.

32. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Last word!

33. Dabeh

Dabeh

Oh no you don't!

34. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Ninja has taken the last word. See you all later!

:cool:

35. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I wonder if Kickstarter will take any action against the campaign, as it blatantly defies their terms of agreement.

36. khanstruct

khanstruct

Here's the very simple reason this project offends me:

A return on their investment? Seriously? She's f#@king 9 years old. First; none of these people have ANY IDEA what Kenzie's "plan" actually is.

So ask yourself this; if I were to go on Kickstarter and say "I wanna make a game, cuz people said I couldn't." Would you give me money? No mention of the game. No experience. And, oh yeah, I'm 9.

This is being funded because a mother is exploiting her child. No product will come out of this, and we all know it. And NONE of you would give a dime to someone if they were in their 30's AND had experience in the industry, and they posted this ridiculous campaign.

This is a mom proving she can raise money by using her kid as a promotional face. What makes it even more disgusting is that she claims to be supporting women getting into the gaming industry, while using blatant exploitation herself.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  37. IvoryOasis

IvoryOasis

More like none would give a dime to someone in their 30's... with experience...with a pretty decent game plan...who was a woman (or other minority in gaming)... because then it is boring and not cute anymore.

38. Khyrid

Khyrid

I had to read your comment a few times. Is it cute and interesting if it's a man? You left out man.

39. IvoryOasis

IvoryOasis

Nope, that is even more boring and uncute :p Tonsss of 30 year old guy developers being ignored :p

40. khanstruct

khanstruct

I'm gonna get my adorable niece, my two-time, purple heart earning friend and a sick puppy, and I'm gonna launch a campaign. All it will be is, "we need $50,000 to make this dream come true." and I shall stealthily avoid any direct questions as to what the dream actually is. I bet I become a millionaire.

41. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

You know, I started to look at my little daughter under a new business light... But then I realized it was a little devil babbling at my shoulder.

42. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Oh my lord.

43. Dabeh

Dabeh

Someone needs the timeout chair.

44. IvoryOasis

IvoryOasis

I don't know if people are still following this... but it keeps popping up ~_~ Kotaku, penny arcade, CBS.... of course, in support of the campaign (despite more and more scams being reported)

http://i.imgur.com/v2pTupG.jpg (sell it for 40 + 10 shipping ...buy for 1-4 dollars... awesome. For those not following, this is an actual scam... 100 percent, undeniable, there it is....she tried this...)

http://i.imgur.com/UlHkViX.jpg (she deleted the comment she made pretending to be her 7 year old daughter made after people found it)

This is really so frustrating ~_~ How can people be falling for this?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  45. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

its a shame, just report it and move on

46. Meltdown

Meltdown

Not sure what I'm missing here, but how is this a scam? Looks like a functional genuine product without too many technical barriers.

47. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

48. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Obvious scam is obvious.

I wonder if people actually think that they are helping a little girl archive her hopes or if they realize that there is a mastermind behind this planing on making tonnes of money?

It is a freaking disgrace to the industry and man kind what a pack of morons, I would slap anyone who donates to this S*** if I saw them. WTF It makes me seriously wonder about how f'd up the world will be in 10 years if there are this amount of people with sub 46 I... Jesus I remember when I was 11 and made games with RPG maker 2k3 and pirated it, used a old windows xp machine and just got on with it, and what 9 year old needs a laptop? it S***s me I see kids on my school bus that are probobly 7 with Ipads and it makes me rage because they are going to be plain stupid apps are made to pass time not give a big mental challege, back in my day I used to play real games like zelda and pokemon on the bus not damn plants vs zombies, now back to laptops I don't see first why a 9 year old needs a laptop IMO it will make them grow up spoilt if they just get something like that so young IMO access to a computer yes(desktop) but I would only get a child a laptop or there own computer if they were 12 turning 13 firstly they will probably kill some brain cells on the RPG maker forums(there not as smart as us and cant risk so many :p) and secondly they are exposed to internet culture that basically ruins everyone.

And why does this kid go to some stupid camp? dammit if you think you can make a game download RPG maker and just make it it is as simple as 1,2,3 no coding required, this kid is clearly ether a tool for a scam, non existent or spoilt.

49. khanstruct

khanstruct

If you look, that's an IndieGoGo project she posted. She was claiming to be creating and selling that product, when actually, she was just buying it from the real creator and marking it up.

I also read an interview with her, in which she explains the debate between the brothers and their sister. Apparently, the brothers were going to their own, various camps, and Kenzie wanted to go to a camp too (she decided on this RPG camp).

So my question is, if the mom paid for the boys to go to camp, why did she decide to start a fundraiser to send Kenzie? Why not just pay for her camp too? (Putting aside, of course, the fact that this was already paid for before she even started the campaign.)

Is anyone else really tempted to make a KS campaign, saying that you're raising money to pay for a game design class and buy yourself a new computer to make a video game? I'm betting it would make a TON of money... shortly before getting shut down.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  50. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Is this still going?

Quite surprised, figured with all the TOS rule breaking going on it would have been cancelled by now, not to mention all the other suspicious activity by the parents in regard to other fund-raisers and the like.

Apparently not, and worse from this kotaku Kickstarter themselves are perfectly fine with the entire project!

Right then, expect an influx of 'fund my life/send me to college/university' projects where by at the end of three years they'll give you a game (no specific game, just a random game) they made during that time. As although that sounds like purely a 'fund my life' type of project to me, Kickstarter are actually perfectly happy to have their own terms circumnavigated in this manor.

Possibly worse is the amount of questionable crowd-sourcing projects that are going to happen in the future, based on this and other projects the parents have already tried and achieved in some cases.

I never thought any one project could bring down KS and said as much before, but their complete lack of interest in this is worrying. The problem is if project like this or worse start getting through their TOS then it can only harm the overall image of crowd-sourcing and themselves, which could so easily lead to a downward spiral.