Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Keyboard Layout

Discussion in 'Input System' started by LOKOM3, Jan 24, 2022.

1. LOKOM3

LOKOM3

Hi!

I just finished my prototype of my game, it has an intensive use of the keyboard, not so much of the mouse, in the main gameplay.

I basically use WASD to move, and other keys for various operations.

But I hardly thought that everything is highly focused on a QWERTY keyboard layout, for example the use of QE for rotation and ZC for direction (left - right). Everything is very easy for me and in these months of development I changed several operations with its key so that it would be like playing.

But lately my steam page is having several wishlists from France (considering unknown sole developer) and I remembered from school classes that they use AZERTY, and that in other countries they use other keyboard layouts.

How can I handle this with Unity, currently I have everything using UnityEngine.Input, that is, I don't use the new Input System

Code (CSharp):
    1. if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Q))//for example
    But I don't have access to one or more keyboards that have another layout to do the tests. How to solve this from unity.

It's my first game that I want to publish on Steam and I don't want the gameplay to suck for this reason.

Also check the internet if it is very common for gamers to use keyboard layouts other than QWERTY. The only thing I found on steam forums was if someone knew how to change the configuration to AZERTY or Dvorak

Thanks for your help.

2. dmytro_at_unity

dmytro_at_unity

Unity Technologies

Cyril_m and LOKOM3 like this.
  3. LOKOM3

LOKOM3

Thank you very much for your help, I will start reading there. Something that does not comment is that I use Unity 2019.4