Search Unity

Keyboard Input gets dropped between scenes

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Sharkbird, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Sharkbird

Sharkbird

Small issue, but it irks me
    If you hold down multiple keys (eg. wasd) and change scenes, some key input gets dropped until you press the keys again.
    This is true when you use a method like Input.GetKey(). Even though you're physically holding down the keys, Input.GetKey() may return false.
    I've read a few posts online saying that this is expected behavior. But in my opinion, it shouldn't be.
    The key input logic should be separate from scene loading. If Input.Getkey is called, that method should tell me no matter what whether the player is holding down a key or not.
    In the unity documentation, it says every scene can be thought of as a unique level. If a player is moving from one level to the next, they shouldn't have to always lift their fingers from the keyboard... And even if they should, that should be something for the developer to decide, not the game engine.
    Even if you're moving from a menu scene to the game itself, this should still be the case. And several games, if not most, already have this as basic functionality.

It seems like there's no easy work around at the moment and this has apparently been an issue for 6+ years. I doubt this will change anything but I just thought I'd voice my concern...