Search Unity

Question Keyboard Input events not always being sent in new input system.

Discussion in 'Input System' started by petey, Nov 25, 2021.

1. petey

petey

Hi there,

I have an input set up like this (to turn my character) -
    Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 3.26.49 pm.png

That's set in the 'Player input' to receive the event -
    Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 3.33.02 pm.png
    The problem is, some events don't get called. Which means the character gets stuck doing a spin or not turning.
    Does anyone have a workaround for this? It gets pretty annoying when you are playing the game when your input doesn't happen.

Thanks!
    Pete

2. adslitw

adslitw

Out of interest @petey, what OS / Unity version are you on? I'm having the same issue, but with normal legacy input. I'm using 2021.2.3 on Mac OS. I'm wondering whether it's an OS thing.

3. petey

petey

Hey @adslitw! Oops, I forgot all the important stuff :D
    I'm on -
    macOS 12.0.1 (21A559)
    Unity 2020.3.1
    Input System 1.2.0

It's been happening for a while, I just finally cracked and thought I'd post about it. It makes playing the game really frustrating. I just set up a simple log of the input values and it definitely misses the odd one here and there.

4. adslitw

adslitw

@petey - yeah I notice it occasionally on my Intel Mac, but I've recently got an M1 Pro laptop and it's basically unusable in my case, and that's just with the legacy input system. In the almost empty repro project I submitted (#1381681) I can get a keypress 'stuck' every once in a while, but in my actual current project it's sticking / missing inputs every second or so!

The Intel Mac is on Big Sur and the M1 is on Monterey, so I don't if that's the difference there or not.

I'm really keen to hear from someone at Unity to see whether it's something they're aware of, but so far I've been checking all the threads bringing this (or something similar) up and there hasn't been a response.

5. petey

petey

I wonder if it's somehow slipping through one of the update methods? I'm not exactly sure which it runs on though and I think that might be out of our hands.
    I also tried to make a hacky fix by checking if the button was held, but I didn't have much luck. That doesn't get sent through as an input context.

6. petey

petey

Did you find any workaround for this @adslitw? I swear mine has become self aware now and waits for the most annoying point to screw up :D It's slowly breaking me...

7. adslitw

adslitw

Haha, nope, no workaround unfortunately. I've tried pretty much everything. My workaround is to not use my lovely new laptop very much... :(

When I do use it, I'm either mostly coding with very little playtesting, or I use a gamepad.

Fingers crossed this issue gets sorted quickly, I agree it's intensely frustrating, haha...

8. petey

petey

Ahh damn! Sorry to hear it. Well I might see if I can make a nice repro scene and send it off. I’ll let you know if i hear any good news. :)

9. adslitw

adslitw

petey likes this.
  10. petey

petey

Awesome! Thankyou :)