Search Unity

Keyboard and all input suddenly stopped working?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Desprez, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Desprez

Desprez

Suddenly, none of my scripts are responding to any inputs at all. Not keyboard, not mouse.
    I made a slight tweak in one script, but then changed it back. Nothing. And not all of the scripts that stopped working had been changed.

I don't see anything obviously wrong, across multiple scenes.

I used Debug.Log to make sure the code was executing in Update(). It is, but it's not getting any detection of input.

I tried restarting Unity. Nothing. I don't know what happened.

AldeRoberge likes this.
  2. StarManta

StarManta

You're certain that the Game window is focused when you're playing?

Can you paste the code you're using for input? It doesn't sound like it's code-based, but if you're doing something weird, it's possible.

Have you tried creating a new project with a new script that just tests input?

3. Desprez

Desprez

Yes, window is focused.

Ok, I just tried one of the scripts in a new project.
    It works there.

4. StarManta

StarManta

So, your project got corrupted somehow. Check Edit -> Project Settings -> Input and make sure it still has all the axes/buttons set up there. If not, then I'm guessing the settings file got corrupted somehow.

Maybe grab your new project's ProjectSettings/InputManager.asset file and copy it to your existing project folder in the same place? (close Unity while you do that just to be sure it takes)

5. Desprez

Desprez

Well, it suddenly started working again. Dunno why, I didn't do anything.

6. punk

punk

This happens to me a fair bit - resizing the window makes it work again

suinext likes this.
  7. DevJim

DevJim

Just wondering if anyone found more info on this? Happens to me every hour but minimizing or resizing usually fixes it.

AeOngDev, honor0102 and nekitmesniov like this.
  8. CavernHead

CavernHead

Happend too me too. everything except mouse left and right click stoped working. Restarted unity and then everything went back to normal.

9. bianolacerda

bianolacerda

All of a sudden, keyboard and all input stopped working here too. I can't fix it!
    Restarting doesn’t work. Neither reinstalling Unity worked.

10. dohyung97022

dohyung97022

Resizing or restarting did not work, but starting by the unity made shortcut in the desktop worked. Do not open by the scenes shortcut.

11. DevJim

DevJim

Still happens over here, are we all using steamworks/ the steam overlay by any chance?

12. johndalzell671

johndalzell671

I am having same problem Suddenly keyboard appears dead. Is this a Unity issue or my project file? Okay so I installed an older version of the engine and opened a new project ... Still nothing!

... I opened new scene and tried 3d person controller and it worked fine But vehicle does not .. Purchased a new vehicle controller and it also does not work.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  13. DevJim

DevJim

If you hover over unity in the taskbar and wait for the window preview to appear, right click on the window preview and hit maximize. It may take one or two attempts but this generally fixes it, if it's the same issue.

14. johndalzell671

johndalzell671

Didn't help. Bought the NWH vehicle physics and the demo works fine But not the prefab nor the vehicle in standard assets 2 days ago standard assets vehicle worked just fine

15. bianolacerda

bianolacerda

[SOLVED] For me, it was because I had accidentally deleted Event System from Scene and Graphic Raycaster (component) from UI Canvas. By restoring those items keyboard and mouse are functioning again.

16. DataSmith2112

DataSmith2112

This just happen .. Funny part is I did almost everything listed here as what may have caused it ..
    None of the advice helped sorry to say. I just made a new project and copied over my assets folder.
    A few script inputs didn't copy over to the new project. Scripts was there just not loaded in project ... Hmm.
    But I was able to run 2 Unity editors and copy over what was missing by hand. Now ... back to work!

17. jandd661

jandd661

Just happened to me too. Nothing seemed to work to fix it. Had to do "Export Package" in the broken project. Then create a new project and import it. All is working again. :confused:

18. devilhunterxl

devilhunterxl

Oh geez, it happens from time to time. I use Unity 2018.3.13

19. abdullaa

abdullaa

Same for me, have you got any luck?

20. bianolacerda

bianolacerda

Yes. See my post on Nov 20, 2018 ;)

21. bianolacerda

bianolacerda

Yes. See my post on Nov 20, 2018. ;)

22. fabiopicchi

fabiopicchi

The scary thing for me is that whenever the keyboard stops working inside unity, it stops working in my game already deployed to itch io. My only fix is to restart the computer hahahaha
    Gamepad seems to be working just fine though...

On a side note, I am using the new input system.

kobozev likes this.
  23. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

I'm also using the new input system and suddenly got problems on one of my computers but not the other. Seems like the new input system does not process input events suddenly on that one. I checked the debug window and the devices send their input just fine. Tried jumping back and forth in repo history does not seem to help, neither does restarting.

EDIT: Update of windows fixed it

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  24. Uppset_Dave_

Uppset_Dave_

I'm having this issue still, i'm on Linux, when I run a demo in the minimised window it works fine but when I do it in a maximised window it doesn't even budge!

25. centaurianmudpig

centaurianmudpig

+1 for having this issue.

26. MrGreenish

MrGreenish

If you are having this issue. Have you installed a anti-key logger like Ghostpress? In that case you need to add Unity as an exception.

Most of my keys where blocked both in edit mode and play mode but the arrow keys and the mouse could still be used.

27. bas-interactive

bas-interactive

I think this is a Unity bug, because when I exported it as a standalone, everything was fine o_O

28. ClearRoseOfWar

ClearRoseOfWar

I was having the same issue for a bit. I had recently imported an asset from the asset store, (Joystick Pack) and when I went to play and test out the joystick, my keyboard controls had stopped working.

[My Solution / Error]
    I suppose While setting up my unity remote with my pc, I must have changed 'Joystick Source' from local to remote. Setting the 'Joystick Source' to Local made things work again. Project Settings -> Editor -> Joystick Source.

jordifzr and Ghosthowl like this.
  29. VaccionesMad

VaccionesMad

Necromancing this thread, I'm having an issue with deviced detection.

The input system is working dandy with keyboard and mouse but now isn't picking up any events or inputs from gamepads.

Anyone would know why? Thanks.

ryzeonline likes this.
  30. ryzeonline

ryzeonline

I have similar issues to posters above.

Input works fine in editor, game-view, maximize-on-play, etc.

But when I run my standalone build and press a key to open my UI, suddenly all keyboard input is frozen / ignored. Would love some help or pointers in the right direction. :/

31. Lz_Yahya

Lz_Yahya

Same problem here my Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0) works fine but for the keyboard input None of them work ,Any Solution Guys ??

32. Lz_Yahya

Lz_Yahya

[SOLVED] Yo Guys For my Case the Problem was the UNITY REMOTE 5 when i was attached to my project i didn't get no Input from my Keyboard ,But when i detached my phone and Reopen Unity it works Really Fine.

33. makhot

makhot

I was struck with the same issue when updating my project to Input System 1.0.0. Everything else (gamepad, accelerometer) seems to work but keyboard is dead.

Input debugger shows that keyboard registers just fine, but Input System doesn't fire any events with keyboard. I tried the above window sizing tips, removing and adding keyboard again from project settings of Input System. No help.

I noticed that if I remove keyboard bindings from Actions I cannot add them again. I couldn't be arsed to try completely deleting the Input System settings though to test if they got somehow corrupted.

So I couldn't solve the issue and had to start using old Input Manager for keyboard, luckily I'm developing for mobile, but very annoying nevertheless.

34. Zer0Cool

Zer0Cool

One possible solution:
    Check if "Time Scale" in the "Time" project settings is 0. Because then the Input class doesnt reports any player inputs.

brian-nielsen and Fibonaccov like this.
  35. unity_bfvNwgs4mDhzgw

unity_bfvNwgs4mDhzgw

36. Creiz

Creiz

I got the same problem right about now, too.

Two whole days trying to figure out what the eff I did wrong.

I had two "Player Input" components in my scene.

I disabled one and yeeted it out to the sun.

Everything works perfectly.

stefanbendrin and kKarthus like this.
  37. ObaiAlashkar

ObaiAlashkar

I had the same issue. When Restarting, I Made Sure Unity Hub was Closed. Then it worked!

38. laultman

laultman

I have this issue. Unity crashed with a mis-configured XR SDK. Since then mouse and keyboard work normally everywhere except in the Player mode. No ASDW or mouse click right or left, and the spacebar and shift keys do not cause the hands to appear. Reverted to known good projects and they also do not work now. Have uninstalled/reinstalled Unity, rebooted the computer, and tried several known good projects with no results. I have tried resizing Unity, player, changed displays, clicked the game play tab. I am not running any custom scripts.

39. ak2286658

ak2286658

Worked for me :)

40. Reshima

Reshima

Worth mentioning that if you're using the Device Simulator package, keyboard/mouse/controller input won't work in the Simulator view, only the Game view. upload_2020-9-10_22-56-16.png

AjayDas likes this.
  41. laultman

laultman

I have not tried the XR plugin again, but all my issues have been related to documentation and the ARM64 compiler bug.

42. jakkebob55

jakkebob55

idk maybe b e a n s will help

43. mjc33

mjc33

I had this issue using the new input system package when upgrading to a new 2020.2 beta version, check the project player settings that "active input handler" hasn't been reverted to the old input system during the update

lumbryga likes this.
  44. lumbryga

lumbryga

My problem was after checking out to an old Git branch which did not use the new Input System yet. I just had to restart Unity after changing branches. mjc33's tip helped a lot, as well!

45. Fibonaccov

Fibonaccov

Holy molly! Thank you! Not sure how this ever got put to zero to be honest - I may have experienced with an asset which did however - unbelievable! remains a mystery but at least I can now resume work! Cheers

brian-nielsen likes this.
  46. kloot

kloot

I'm having this as well. I think it started around moving to 2021.1
    When it happens I need to replay about 3 times and then it seems to work until next restart. Never seen it in a build though..

47. hellingelijahhelling

hellingelijahhelling

if you save and quit and come back it works fine

48. Gramatik1

Gramatik1

Just save the project and restart Unity, enter the project again and everything works fine

49. kloot

kloot

The easiest solution I found is to give focus to another app and then back to Unity.

EDIT:
    In my case (I'm on Windows), I figured out that this happens if I hit the shortcut for playing while the mouse cursor is over a window like Hierarchy or Project, and the shortcut is something that that window has registered (such as the F key). In these cases, the shortcut isn't bubbled up to the game window for some reason.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  50. unity_36B0BFA05DEFE5974404

unity_36B0BFA05DEFE5974404

Okay so I what did was I deleted and reinserted my input module. Then if that didn't work inside the input module made sure I was using the right controls, for whatever reasons my controls switched in the game.