Search Unity

Key resources for HoloLens development

Discussion in 'AR' started by russwolf, Mar 31, 2016.

1. russwolf

russwolf

There are some great resources for developing for HoloLens with Unity available on the Windows Developer Center. I recommend exploring the documentation as a whole but here are must-see topics:

1. Learn how to install the tools needed to develop holographic apps.
    2. The Unity development overview details how to add holographic capabilities to your app and how to configure a Unity project for HoloLens.
    3. Step-by-step tutorials introducing basic and more advanced holographic development topics are available in the Holographic Academy.

makaka-org, John3D and Unity_Wesley like this.
  2. psycolin

psycolin

• Hey, i tried installing the whole rig following the "Install the tools" link; i am facing issues in the emulator installation steps, the installer stops in the middle of the installation and generates several log files, i am uploading them here.
    • I should mention that my OS is Windows 10 Home edition, i know that the overall requirement stated in the tools page is Professional, Enterprise or Education edition. Is this the reason why the installation is crashing?
    • Can i at least do some error free tinkering in the provided unity stack without the emulator installation? It will be sometimes before i upgrade my windows, i wanted to get started with unity before that, specially with the 101E tutorial, i am running into several errors while i am trying to follow the tutorials which i mentioned here.
    Thanks in advance for the answers.

John3D likes this.
  3. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Hello,

We don't support the emulator because it is a Microsoft product, I would recommend posting on the Microsoft Developer forums for further support with this product.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/support

Thank you,
    Wesley

John3D likes this.
  4. dtspiff

dtspiff

Hey check out the error section here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/install_the_tools

You may see an error while installing the emulator that you need "Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 and UWP tools version

There are two possible causes of this error:
    1- You do not have Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 or later. Follow the instructions above to install the latest version, Visual Studio 2015 Update 2.
    2- You have Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 or later, but you do not have the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) tools installed. This is an optional feature for Visual Studio. You can add this feature by modifying your Visual Studio installation in Programs and Features.

5. Jimbo10

Jimbo10

The HoloLens Emulator is only supported in Windows 10 Professional Insider build 14295. You can still build and run of the real HoloLens device, using any version of Windows 10. Your PC BIOS must support Hyper-V Virtual OS support, to run the HoloLens Emulator and will get fatal errors trying to install, or configure Visual Studio 2015 Update 2,with the HoloLens Emulator without Hyper-V switched on.

6. GhostlyDonut5

GhostlyDonut5

I have the emulator up and running, however SpacialPerception and Windows Holographic are not showing up in the editor. Any idea why?
    I'm also getting these errors:

"Failed to find:m_HolographicPauseonTrackingLossUnityEditor.PlayerSettingsEditor.OnEnable()"
    "Failed to find: m_HolographicPauseonTrackingLossScreenUnityEditor.PlayerSettingsEditor.OnEnable()"

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Unity Metro Support setup and the emulator multiple times. Any ideas or details I've missed? I'm following this tutorial: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/unity_development_overview

Attached Files:

Gamrek likes this.
  7. Gamrek

Gamrek

I have the same issue, can someone please explain to me? I am running Windows 8.1

8. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Looking at the screen shot you don't have the proper SDK installed. You need to have Metro Support installed on your machine in order to have Windows Holographic. It is located on the technical preview site for HoloLens, follow the steps for installing the build. Without that specific SDK the emulator and device will only show a default application.

HoloLens Technical Preview:
    http://unity3d.com/pages/windows/hololens

Please use this as a reference

upload_2016-5-17_10-10-4.png

Thank you,
    Wesley

9. Balu21

Balu21

Hi,
    I have downloaded unity 5.4 from http://unity3d.com/pages/windows/hololens#download - the 64 bit version on windows 10. But the option of Windows Holographic is not present. Instead the available values it shows on click of plus sign are : oculus , stereo display , split stereo display , openvr and none. What could be the reason and with this empty list wouldn't I be able to test on emulator? Kindly help. Thank you.

upload_2016-5-20_0-57-19.png

Attached Files:

10. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Hello,

You didn't finish your setup by the looks of your SDK list. Please go to http://unity3d.com/pages/windows/hololens#download and follow the remaining steps. Without the UWP runtime installed you will not have the windows holographic SDK.

upload_2016-5-20_10-37-19.png

Thank you,
    Wesley

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have the same issue, can someone please explain to me?

12. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Hello Kunris,

If you are seeing a similar issues of not being able to see the windows holographic SDK, it is because you have not installed the UWP runtime. Without that UWP/Metro runtime you won't have the proper dll's needed to build for Windows Applications.

Please go to http://unity3d.com/pages/windows/hololens#download and follow the remaining steps. Without the UWP runtime installed you will not have the windows holographic SDK.

Thank you,
    Wesley

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

yes ,i do it thank you ,re install it everything is ok ,

14. stepan-stulov

stepan-stulov

Hi, guys. Thanks for all the replies. Now, with Unity's HoloLens Technical Preview going to f3 it seems they've updated this page where you marked the metro support yellow. There is no more additional stuff, just a single download assistant (see the attached image).

I installed this new Unity 5.4.0f3 and tried building the Origami app. However it gives me the following error:

Could not start compilationException: 'UnionMetadata\Facade\Windows.winmd' not found, do you have Windows UAP SDK installed?
    UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.MicrosoftCSharpCompiler.FillNETCoreCompilerOptions (WSASDK wsaSDK, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 arguments, System.String& argsPrefix) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/Compilers/MicrosoftCSharpCompiler.cs:195)
    UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.MicrosoftCSharpCompiler.StartCompiler () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/Compilers/MicrosoftCSharpCompiler.cs:314)
    UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.ScriptCompilerBase.BeginCompiling () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/Compilers/ScriptCompilerBase.cs:47)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Do I need and if yes where do I obtain this UAP SDK?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

15. stepan-stulov

stepan-stulov

16. iko79

iko79

Hi,

HoloLens beginner here. Seems like I missed something. When I build my HoloLens project (following these steps) and try to open it in Visual Studio 2017, I get the following error:

Unsupported
    This version of Visual Studio is unable to open the following projects. The project types may not be installed or this version of Visual Studio may not support them.
    For more information on enabling these project types or otherwise migrating your assets, please see the details in the "Migration Report" displayed after clicking OK.
    - myproject, "D:\myproject\myproject.csproj"
    - Assembly-CSharp, "D:\myproject\App\GeneratedProjects\UWP\Assembly-CSharp\Assembly-CSharp.csproj"
    - Assembly-CSharp-firstpass, "D:\myproject\App\GeneratedProjects\UWP\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.csproj"

No changes required
    These projects can be opened in Visual Studio 2015, Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2012, and Visual Studio 2010 SP1 without changing them.
    - myproject, "D:\myproject\App\myproject.sln"

The UpgradeLog.htm just tells me

The application which this project type is based on was not found. Please try this link for further information: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=299083&projecttype=A5A43C5B-DE2A-4C0C-9213-0A381AF9435A

(the link just forwards me to https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows)

Following this message box, I get another one, saying

The 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.Project.WebProjectPackage, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.Project' package did not load correctly.

The problem may have been caused by a configuration change or by the installation of another extension. You can get more information by examining the file 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_1fddedc3\ActivityLog.xml'.

Restarting Visual Studio could help resolve the issue.

Needless to say, the latter hint does not fix it.

I just reinstalled the Windows 10 SDK with all options checked. Any ideas what might be missing or what I can do to figure out what's the actual issue?

Thanks a ton!

17. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

Have you tried opening your project with Visual Studio 2015?

18. iko79

iko79

Yes. There it said in a message box with title "Review Solution Actions": "Visual Studio update required. One or more projects are targeting the Windows 10 Creators Update platform which requires a newer version of Visual Studio. Learn how to upgrade to 15.0.25909.2.", where a hyperlink is supposed to take me to some online article, but I'm just forwarded to https://www.visualstudio.com/de/. It's ridiculous how these MSFT links never work.

It's VS Professional 2015, Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3 with .NET Framework 4.7.02523.

In the solution explorer, next to each of the projects (Assemply-CSharp, Assembly-CSharp-firstpass, as well as myproject) it says "update required" in parantheses.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  19. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

On the Build Settings window for Universal Windows Platform, what options are available to you in the drop-down for "SDK"? Are you able to try 10.0.14393.0?

20. iko79

iko79

Don't have that particular one available, but you're right, not using the "Latest installed" option for UWP SDK did the trick -- with 10.0.10586.0 it is now working with VS 2015, thus without upgrading the project to 2017. I was under the assumption that VS 2017 is needed as it is also used in the youtube tutorials all the time. Thanks so much! What the actual problem with VS 2017 is, however, remains a mystery to me.

21. xuchun9000

xuchun9000

i have to point out, the 100 and 200 serious courses Holographic Academy use will no longer run on the latest version of Unity and Holotoolkit(or MRToolkit), the API change so much that you will simply get thousands of compile error if you try

22. pealex

pealex

Hi, can anybody tell me which one is the latest stable version of Unity and Visual Studio to test the Hololens emulator

23. Ayelis

Ayelis

What should I do when I run into one or more of the following issues?
    • The .unitypackage file is not included in the archive.
    • One more more .unity files are not included in the archive.
    • Unity gives arcane errors such as "The type or namespace name 'WSA' does not exist" or "The type or namespace name 'XR' does not exist" or "asset database could not be found".
    • After loading a project, every attached script says "The associated script can not be loaded."
    • None of the tutorials nor readme files provide answers to these issues.
    • Asking for help on GitHub yields no response.
    • Asking for help on the Windows Mixed Reality forums yields no response.
    • Asking for help on the Unity forums yields no response.
    • I've already tried turning it off and back on again.

24. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

Hi Ayelis -

Sorry for lack of responsiveness on various forums and repos. If your GitHub mention refers to MixedRealityToolkit (formerly HoloToolkit), that isn't managed by anyone at Unity, but we can try to look into failures in Unity that might be leading to toolkit issues, as those would be more globally addressable bugs that we can actually do something about.

What are the .unitypackage and .unity files you're referring to? Sounds like that might have something to do with the toolkit issues, if I had to guess?

As for the namespace-not-existing issues, I believe those should only happen when building for an unsupported platform. For example, the WSA namespace is only enabled for UWP apps, but the XR namespace not existing sounds odd. "The associated script can not be loaded" sounds like a similar issue - if I had to guess, the scripts had #if guards to ensure they only ran on supported platforms.

Are you sure you're building for UWP?

25. Ayelis

Ayelis

Thank you for your quick response! I guess part of the issue is that I've tried to install Unity on my work machine and sometimes I attempt to open projects with that version of Unity... on Ubuntu. I've never been able to get the toolchain running properly on Ubuntu, so I should really hide the links to Unity for Ubuntu on my desktop while I'm developing for this project. And yeah, the MixedReality Toolkit provided a challenge when the files that were actually available didn't seem to match what I was seeing in various tutorials or readme files... I'm sure some of my other issues might be related to the fact that I'm trying to develop on my only available Windows machine; a narcoleptic Surface Pro 4 laptop... (it doesn't like waking up sometimes...)

26. Mia_white

Mia_white

thanks for this discussion. it solved all of questions.

makaka-org likes this.
  27. makaka-org

makaka-org