Search Unity

Key release is not detected until another input is made

Discussion in 'Input System' started by masakimasa, Dec 8, 2021.

1. masakimasa

masakimasa

I'm using Unity 2021.2.5, macOS Monterey, Input System 1.2.0.

Since 2021.2.2, there has been a problem that the release of the key is sometimes not detected and the character keeps moving. Updating to 2021.2.5 is not solved this.

I have checked the keyboard input by Input Debugger and noticed that sometimes key release signal is not fired immediately.
    In this state, the release signal does not occur until I move the mouse cursor or press another key.

This also happened in a newly created project.

Is this a bug of input system?

I would appreciate any information on this issue.
    Thanks.

[ScreenShots]

This is a normal state.
    スクリーンショット 2021-12-08 8.34.47.png

This is the state that no key release was detected.
    スクリーンショット 2021-12-08 8.35.58.png

DiegoR likes this.
  2. gfenn

gfenn

I'm seeing this same problem.

I have PlayerInput hooked up with `Invoke Unity Events`. I have a method called `TestInput` that takes `InputAction.CallbackContext input` and directly logs the value.

If I just sit there and push the button, 90% of the time it will properly log the True and False as the button is pressed and released.

However, the other 10% of the time, it only logs the True, despite the button being released. I can sit there for a while and nothing happens. Once I move the mouse, however, the False is logged for that button.

Seems like something under the hood is going to sleep and re-awakened by the mouse movements?

adslitw, DiegoR and masakimasa like this.
  3. DiegoR

DiegoR

I was about to report exactly the same problem. I tried with Unity 2021.2.3 and then with Unity 2021.2.5 and got this issue (I am using the Silicon version of the editor and macOS Monterey 12.0.1)

Then I returned to Unity 2021.1.28 (Intel) and everything worked as expected.

Is there a workaround?

masakimasa likes this.
  4. adslitw

adslitw

I've reported it, the QA person had trouble reproducing it though so I had to send some videos of it happening. Maybe the QA person didn't have an M1 machine or something. I haven't figured out a workaround yet, it's very frustrating!

@masakimasa I have the problem using the default (old) input system, so I don't think it's a problem with the Input System package itself, I think it's more fundamental.

masakimasa likes this.
  5. masakimasa

masakimasa

Thank you for the information!
    Debugging is really tough because of this problem.

I updated Unity to 2021.2.6f1 but it didn't fix this.

I also noticed that this only happens in Unity Editor.
    It does not occur in the app built for both macOS and Windows.

I hope the problem will be fixed soon.