Search Unity

keeping camera and light in Blender models?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Denisowator, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Denisowator

Denisowator

So I'm too lazy to delete the camera and light when I export my models from Blender, and when I expand them in Unity as ".fbx" I can see the camera and light as those blue cubes with the white paper sheet. And I'm not sure if they make the models take up a bit more space, or anything like that. So is there any purpose to deleting them before exporting as .fbx if there's nothing but the mesh? Or should I leave them?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I understand that it doesn't hurt anything to leave them there. The lights and cameras don't do anything in Unity, and I don't think they are taking up any space either. I generally as a habit delete everything in the Blender file when I create it, as I don't ever use the lighting or camera when using Blender with Unity.

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Does Blender have an option to only export selected objects? Just asking, Max has this as an export option.
    Since blender is open source - this would be a nice (and probably pretty simple) feature for the community to add in - if blender currently doesn't have it.
    It'd save a minute per export, and removes a couple steps of human error - like leaving the lights and cameras in the scene on accident. :)

4. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

If you are exporting FBX files directly yourself, the option is there in the export dialog. But if you are simply using the automatic method, putting the blend file into Unity's project folders, then you never use that dialog, and therefore are stuck with however Unity does the FBX export, which I understand includes all the meshes and lights.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. LesserGatsby

LesserGatsby

I figured out how to fix this.

Find the Unity-BlenderToFBX.py for your version of unity.

If the "if blender280: section, on the line that reads as the following,
    object_types= {'ARMATURE','CAMERA','LIGHT','MESH','EMPTY'},

Delete
    'CAMERA','LIGHT'

Then save the file out, and load/save your blender work and it will be good to go.

The file for the 2019.3.0a8 version (others will be in a simmilarly named place) was at
    C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.3.0a8\Editor\Data\Tools

roborodo and eelstork like this.
  6. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Me, in blender, I normally put the camera and light on a different layer. And leave the model in the main layer. Everything in the main layer, is for exporting to unity or some other software. I would have given more details, but unfortunately, my pc has been down for a while now. I'll post more details after it is repaired.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020