Search Unity

KEEP Unity MAC Only!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VICTOM, Jul 20, 2008.

1. taumel

taumel

Regarding this topic i remember harder discussions in earlier days than what has been written so far here.

2. BroAndrew

BroAndrew

As a pensioner in Australia, I have limited finances. No matter how old I get, I am still a creative audio visual producer. If Unity is able to author on a PC, it saves me having to purchase a Mac. Bring on Unity for Windows!

3. 1stAnd10

1stAnd10

If the point comes where this community becomes "elitist" and worried about "stupid" questions is the point in which I will become very sad. IMO it is one of the biggest reasons I decided to invest in Unity is after reading the posts on this forum and seeing how active and friendly it was.

Everyone has to start somewhere, even the guys who are wiz's at 3D game programming right now were a n00b at one point.

Considering the point at which the PC game market is at right now and our obvious love for it by the sheer fact that we are interested in indie development, I would reckon that we should be encouraging and supporting anyone who also shares the love and passion regardless of the platform they decide to do it on.

4. James

James

We're forming a small studio to work on projects with the unity engine. The only problem is that %100 of our computer base is Windows based because we were previously using the Unreal Engine. We were searching for an engine that could hand toon shaders when we came across Unity and instantly fell in love with the engine. The only problem we had with it was that it was mac based. So we are currently working on getting a few macs setup in the studio and will be purchasing it shortly after.

However, if there was to be a windows version, I dont see us hesitating to switch over to is as it would be much more handy for the rest of the studio who will be developing on a pc. I think having both is a good thing as long as they have the team to develop both equally.

5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

So... Unreal can't do toon shaders? :eek:

6. James

James

Not to my understanding :|

7. acme3D

acme3D

I think the guys at Unity should focus on improving the product, improve iPhone dvt possibilities and keep just the delivery on multiple platforms.
    The are countless examples of apps that started to decline when they tried to be too "cross platform"; just look at Adobe CS suite.... that really started to loos the Mac look and feel, and if I had a smoother alternative I would go for that (unfortunately there isn't).
    Keep on the Mac and use your resources to improve and already excellent product !

8. Anim

Anim

Yes, then I wouldn't need a PC at all.

9. degeneration

degeneration

:roll:

You know why this thread has been dead for over two months? Because it is coming for Windows and soon, everyone has accpeted it. It makes commercial sense and if you had read anything in this thread, you will know that it isn't like they are having to dev everything from scratch for windows.
    You increase the user base, you increase the apps, you increase the audience, you increase the computers with Unity plugin installed, you increase profile, you increase revenue, you increase the dev team, you increase the quality of Unity.

Simples.

10. degeneration

degeneration

Other way round for me, Unity on a PC and I don't need the Mac, aside from syncing my iPod as iTunes on the PC is such a system hog.