Search Unity

Keep Quads import setting doesn't work

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Lerbedeknorst, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Lerbedeknorst

Lerbedeknorst

Hi,

I've imported multiple character models to my scene and I noticed the meshes were triangulated although the originals have quads. There's a box you can check in the import settings that says 'keep quads' but it doesn't seem to do anything. Meshes are still triangulated. Can anyone help me?

2. George-Ing

George-Ing

Unity Technologies

Hey Lerbedeknorst,

If you could upload the model somewhere, I'd be happy to take a look!

3. Lerbedeknorst

Lerbedeknorst

Thanks for your reply.

It's not one specific model, but all models. They all have quads. We try to keep our models as low-poly as possible to keep a certain frame rate in our scene, because it has like 800 different characters running around. If every model is triangulated that means more polygons right?

Where and how could I upload a model so only you can check it?

Thanks

4. George-Ing

George-Ing

Unity Technologies

No problem!

Whether you work in quads or triangles in your DCC tool, you won't see any difference in performance - sooner or later, everything ends up as triangles.

5. Lerbedeknorst

Lerbedeknorst

Thanks for your reply!

So if everything ends up as triangles, why have the option 'keep quads' in the model import settings?

Are you sure this won't effect performance because, as you can see in the screenshots, it doubles the amount of polygons.

I've attached 3 images. 1.Original Model in C4d 2. Imported Model in Unity 3.Import Settings Unity

Hope you can answer my questions.

Original Model C4D.png

Imported Model Unity.png

Unity Import Settings.png

6. George-Ing

George-Ing

Unity Technologies

It doubles the number of polygons, but you shouldn't expect to get better performance, because it ultimately renders the same number of tris.

The reason one would typically keep quads is for the purposes of tesselation shaders, rather than to save on performance.

Hope that helps!

Lerbedeknorst likes this.
  7. Lerbedeknorst

Lerbedeknorst

Thanks for clearing this up.

If this triangulating doesn't effect performance too much than I'm ok with it.

Best

8. SaharaBob

SaharaBob

9. jeremy1967

jeremy1967

While I understand that everything eventually renders as triangles and ultimately we should not be concerned with the performance when comparing quads to tris, there is still some confusion here. Why does "Keep Quads" seemingly have no visible effect on the imported model? In my tests, a model built entirely from quads in Blender shows nothing but triangles after importing into Unity. Why is this? Is this a bug, user error, or misunderstanding of what "Keep Quads" is actually doing? Clarification of this point would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS - using Unity 2020.3.12f1

CloudyVR likes this.
  10. Invertex

Invertex

Necro'ing the thread but it was unanswered.

The reason is looks the same is because to render the mesh and show you it means it has to be split to triangles to be rendered by the GPU, so you're going to see triangles with the wireframe shader regardless. All the "Keep Quads" option does is generate the mesh buffer layouts in a way that the Quads can still be derived from it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023