Search Unity

Keep project files on external SSD?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by leegod, Nov 2, 2020.

1. leegod

leegod

I recently bought sandisk 500g external ssd (usb-c type) and tested for use project storage,

mainly for work at home by desktop and outside by laptop.

I experienced few years ago that using external ssd is bad, like project scene file suddenly become 1kb and can't access, or script file corruptions.

I expected difference now, but same phenomenon occurs just before...

I recovered scene file via automatic ssd drive recovery when plug out and in again.

So external SSD itself is problem?
    Then how about external HDD?
    Or external drive itself is problem?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not for me. All my projects were stored on an external SSD and I never had any problem with them. The thing is, the editors were also installed on that external SSD...

3. leegod

leegod

So another thing weird is, when I run unity editor and Visual studio 2019 at desktop and laptop, the many script files opened record seems deleted and should manually run again..

So your unity and VS 2019 also on external SSD?

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, they were, when I was still using Windows (and they also are now that I'm using Linux but Linux is also installed on that same SSD; not sure if this is important mind you). :)

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

In theory it should be fine. My anecdotal experience has been I bought a 250GB SATA SSD and put it in an external drive enclosure. I ended up getting occasional corrupted files in my projects, even though I always manually told Windows to safe remove before I physically disconnected the drive. I never found any other issue with the drive or enclosure, so don't have an explanation.

I was doing it this way so I could easily work between my desktop and laptop, but in the end I just set up an SVN server instead. I was getting sick of creating daily backups manually anyway, so it was for the best.

6. leegod

leegod

so I found there are thunderbolt 3 exclusive samsung external SSD exist, they claim it can keep lower temperature and data safe, I don't trust, but price is insane like 450$ over for 500GB. Price gives illusion that it can provide data consistency,
    but I don't want to test it cuz too high price.

so I just want to use cloud drive like Onedrive or dropbox. This is also some high price, so I am searching more cheap cloud service...

But problem is, data on cloud service is safe? Company can see and steal that data?