Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Keep last entered search text in "Select" dialogs

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by Peter77, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If I press on a Material picker:
    upload_2019-7-28_17-18-46.png

... Unity opens the "Select Material" dialog.

Right now, I have to go through several dozens prefabs and select the same material for each one. But Unity clears my search text every time I open the "Select Material" dialog, so I have to enter the same search text over and over again.

It would be very useful if Unity persists the search text for the current editor session. It's fine if it's lost across editor restarts.

The search text in the "Select" dialog should be bound to the type.
    • Means if I open a "Select Material" dialog and enter "props" the search string "props" should be restored for "Select Material" only.
    • If I open a "Select Sprite" dialog, it should not insert the "props" search string from the material dialog. It should use its own.
    When opening the "Select" dialog, Unity should auto-select the existing search text and focus the search field. This allows to just press ESC to clear the text.

This would save me a lot of typing and helps me to get my work done faster.

2. M_R

M_R

quick workarounds:
    - multi-select your objects and assign the material (/sprite) once (this only works if it's the same field in the same component. but you can still group by this)
    - search/focus the material on the project view, then use drag&drop to assign
    - copy&paste your search string