Search Unity

Bug KDE global menu bug

Discussion in 'Linux' started by AwptiK, Oct 25, 2021.

1. AwptiK

AwptiK

When using KDE's Global Menu with unity, it greys out all the options until you switch layout (could be switching to the same layout just switch to something) then it works. No idea why this happens, but is consistent as it always doesn't work when you first launch the editor, then when you switch layouts the options are back to normal, but after you select an option it goes back to grey and the cycle repeats.

2. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

3. Corodius

Corodius

Ok, so 2 ways you can get around this on a per-application basis.

1. is to set "env UBUNTU_MENYPROXY=0" before the command in the .desktop/launcher for UnityHub, so it would read eg.
    "env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0 /home/<username>/Applications/UnityHub.appimage"
    (or relevant path)
    You can do this by right clicking the menu button, "Edit Applications", then find the Unity Hub entry and edit this.

this has downsides of sometimes messing up upgrades though. The better alternative would be
    2. install dconf editor, and blacklist Unity.

Install dconf editor with "sudo apt install dconf-editor" in the terminal. Then run this, navigate to:
    "org/appmenu/gtk-module/blacklist"
    Click the edit button, turn off "Use default value" and in the "Custom Value" box, add " 'Unity' " after the end, eg after adding to the default on my install:
    "['anjuta', 'freeciv', 'freeciv-gtk2', 'freeciv-gtk3', 'glade', 'gwyddion', 'Unity']"

Ensure you completely quit Unity and Unity Hub, then run again and Unity will be blacklisted from the appmenu. Hope it helps!

Haraven likes this.
  4. Haraven

Haraven

3 years later, this is still the solution. I wish Unity added support for the KDE appmenu, but I understand the percentage of Unity users on Linux is probably vanishingly small compared to Windows or Mac.

Maybe one day...

dev-37 likes this.