Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

KaiOS

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by 5argon, Oct 23, 2019.

1. 5argon

5argon

Recently they opened their developer portal, meaning that development is no longer limited to invites :
    https://developer.kaiostech.com/

KaiOS is a new OS running apps with web tech on feature phones. The phone has little memory and RAM. Tiny/DOTS runtime has HTML5 export target. So I think isn't Unity with Tiny is a very ideal development platform for this? (as opposed to more advertised playable ads) We don't even need an export target that says KaiOS but just web assembly export that comes out small because it's Tiny.

But I am surprised no one is talking about this yet. (here, or anywhere else on the net) Is there anything I overlooked that could be a roadblock to a straight export to KaiOS?

From top of my head maybe, button input need some work. (I am interested in KaiOS particularly because I love buttons and these feature phones came with them, almost like a controller of sorts and that gives inspiration for different kind of games) And maybe we have no space for even compressed music, we may need tracker-like music format for KaiOS apps that works with Tiny. Lastly maybe integration with their KaiAds which as long as Tiny can interop JS it should be fine?

2. warren-miller-maltd

warren-miller-maltd

hi - it's possible - I've been chatting to them about this and they're aware of it.

5argon likes this.
  3. Chetan_Ingle

Chetan_Ingle

Are they working on Button Input system? Because I have tried ever thing that I can find to make unity project to run on KaiOS device. The only problem that I'm not able to resolve is that how to give inputs through the D-Pad that KaiOS uses. I know that we can set Inputs for D-Pad in Unity3D. But Unity3d projects doesn't work on KaiOS so I had to use Unity Tiny. If anybody has any Idea please share.

4. AwesomeAlexx

AwesomeAlexx

5. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

6. warren-miller-maltd

warren-miller-maltd

really? I have had some success running Tiny on KaiOS devices - granted it was just a simple demo, but it worked.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    AwesomeAlexx and SugoiDev like this.
  7. AwesomeAlexx

AwesomeAlexx

8. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Project Tiny builds may work on current version of KaiOS but are likely to break as we are using features from more recent HTML5 runtimes.

Recent announcement by KaiOS Technologies and Mozilla to partner to bring things like WebAssembly is interesting. We'll watch this and reconsider when it's available.
    But to be clear we have no plans to add official support for KaiOS. Our focus is highlighted in the min system requirements of the getting started guide:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/...pHfnAX-CpYLK3aOdwA/edit#heading=h.z4q2yhop42x