Search Unity

Just upgraded to 2017.2. All I get are errors!! And "importing assets" every time.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CloudyVR, Sep 1, 2017.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I just tried upgrading to 2017.2.

I have created a basic scene with one directional light and a SteamVR camera rig.

I find that (among many other issues) there is one error that is spamming my console:

Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: 'Thread::EqualsCurrentThreadIDForAssert(Thread::mainThreadId)'

This occurs when I add a flare to that directional light. If I remove the flare the error goes away.

This did not happen with 2017.1.

Should I downgrade? Or is there any way to fix this?

2. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Also I should note that after waiting hours for Unity to import assets it has effectivly modified my scripts and changed every instance of "VRNode" to "UnityEngine.XR.XRNode" which unity reports as does not exist.

I have to manually track down each instance of "UnityEngine.XR.XRNode" and change them back to "VRNode".

So the new version is deliberately breaking my game and replacing things with nonexistent names.

This also affect OVR scripts - basically it has changed " using UnityEngine.VR;" to "using VR = UnityEngine.VR;".

This has caused over 100 errors. And after attempting to repair it, i have failed and my project is completely destroyed.

-----

Also, every time I make a change like re-import an asset , Unity starts importing all small assets and it takes an hour. So this upgrade is turning out to be a HUGE waste of time and untimely does not work.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  3. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Just created a new project and added SteamVR and VRTK.

When I open a blank scene I now get error:

Exception: Must set an output directory through SetCompileScriptsOutputDirectory before compiling
    UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilation.GetCompileScriptsOutputDirectory () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilation.cs:126)
    UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilation.CreateScriptAssemblySettings (BuildTargetGroup buildTargetGroup, BuildTarget buildTarget, EditorScriptCompilationOptions options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilation.cs:572)
    UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilation.CreateEditorScriptAssemblySettings (EditorScriptCompilationOptions options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilation.cs:584)

I fear that 2017.2 is not ready for prime time and just has too may problems to address at this point.

Has anyone else has such a headache trying to start new project with 2017.2?

4. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

After re-importing SteamVR and VRTK I had to wait another hour for "importing assets"

After which I was preseted with a new error:

error CS1704: An assembly with the same name `UnityEngine.UI' has already been imported. Consider removing one of the references or sign the assembly
    C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/GUISystem/UnityEngine.UI.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
    C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/GUISystem/Standalone/UnityEngine.UI.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
    error CS1704: An assembly with the same name `UnityEngine.Networking' has already been imported. Consider removing one of the references or sign the assembly
    C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/Networking/UnityEngine.Networking.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
    C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/Networking/Standalone/UnityEngine.Networking.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
    error CS1704: An assembly with the same name `UnityEngine.HoloLens' has already been imported. Consider removing one of the references or sign the assembly
    C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityHoloLens/Runtime/UnityEngine.HoloLens.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
    C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/UnityHoloLens/RuntimeEditor/UnityEngine.HoloLens.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)

I don't even use HoloLens???? why is it complaining about that now?

A true exercise in futility here.

----

After reading this I just tried (first saving then) restarting the editor and well, im now back to "importing assets" for another hour or so, this is too difficult for me.

5. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I made a little bit of progress,

After my 5th upgrade attempt things magically started working. However all of the VR stuff is completely botched.

For example:

I press play and the framerate is less than 1 fps - due to no VR sdk loaded.

So I go to Edit>Project Settings>Player and see that VR is now referred to as XR???
    And nothing was set, so I set it to use OpenVR. Then I press save and the setting just gets completely wiped (it just reverts to unset).

So instead of pressing save, I again set it to use OpenVR and then just press play after which the framerates appear to be back to normal but player can't interact or move at all.

And every time I save my project I must go back to Player settings and re-enable OpenVR support.

This is ridiculous by any standard.

----

Oh, and yeah, im back to seeing this error continuously:

Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: 'Thread::EqualsCurrentThreadIDForAssert(Thread::mainThreadId)'

----

And now that I just tried restarting the editor in hopes it was something simple, it once again prompts me that: "Opening Project In Non-Matching Editor Instillation" and must re-import all assets.

I don't have the time to keep fighting this infinite loop of failure as it's already costed me my entire day.

In closing I'll just say this:
    Unity 2017.2 is hopelessly broken and
    I GIVE UP.

6. Lance_JZ

Lance_JZ

I hear that, I can't even open Unity anymore. The update is borken.

7. BroncoBilli

BroncoBilli

for me, simply quitting unity and reloading the project worked.