Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Just to say.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Funwill, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Funwill

Funwill

When savin a scene or a project, a message statin that it has been saved would be welcome, in'it?

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

I think a status bar inclusion for those sorts of operations would be nice, yeah. Nothing obtrusive, just a little thing in the lower right saying "save complete." I've not had any issues stemming from it not being there, but it's definitely something I notice compared to when I use IDEs or text editors.

3. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

That seems to be so dependent on what you grew up with..
    "back then" it was typical to always get confirmation. Especially windows was doing it. Nowadays I get an "unpleasant" feeling in the windows settings or also on smartphones where you move toggles but it's not obvious that it has been actually saved...

However the open scene is something else. That's more like a document. Those at least I save very regularly with Ctrl+S. Any form of popup would be a VERY obnauxious experience.
    Maybe a colored flash somewhere at the bottom...

Kiwasi and stain2319 like this.
  4. spiney199

spiney199

A status bar down the bottom, yes. A pop-up? Hell no.

schmosef, pm007 and Gekigengar like this.
  5. Murgilod

Murgilod

There's even a place for it already. Unity already has a status bar in the bottom right that it uses for things like showing light baking progress.

GoGoGadget likes this.
  6. Antypodish

Antypodish

There is a little star, telling that scene is not saved. Otherwise stara is not present.
    upload_2022-10-31_23-36-21.png
    Just similar as with c# files in VS for example.

7. Funwill

Funwill

Good to know Antypodish, thxs.

8. Funwill

Funwill

And what about a 're' before the 'import' of the assets we have already imported?

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

?

upload_2022-10-31_20-5-17.png

10. Funwill

Funwill

No, with our selected assets in package manager.

11. Murgilod

Murgilod

There's a good reason for that to just be "Import." Even if you're reimporting something, you may be overwriting changed files or putting replacements for deleted files in. There are many conditions where you're just importing, even if you're importing the same thing again.

12. halley

halley

Scenes already have a
    indicator in the Hierarchy if it is not saved (aka "dirty"). On MacOS, the window close button also indicates the dirty status of the loaded scene. When those go away, the thing is saved.

Saving Project should have some indication (I really don't see when or under what conditions it's "dirty" at all).

13. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

No no no no no!

Do you want to save? Yesno?
    Overwrite existing? Yesno?
    Saving… OK
    Save complete OK

So you have to confirm FOUR times for something that should be a single action, or even automatic.

Don‘t do the Nintendo!

14. Murgilod

Murgilod

Nobody has advocated save complete/saving dialogues, just things that indicate the process is happening/happened.

15. warthos3399

warthos3399

No. We dont need any added menu bar options, or pop-ups. Its saved when you save it, and theres a indication of when the scene hasnt been saved....

16. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

OP asked whether a „save complete“ message would be welcome. Whether that goes away after 2s or forces the user to press a button is a serious UX flaw that only Nintendo still manages to force upon developers for whatever reason.

Same reason why I never play Nintendo games, I feel so reprimanded every time.

warthos3399 likes this.
  17. Murgilod

Murgilod

You know what else has a "save complete" message? Plenty of IDEs and text editors.

You know where that "save complete" message goes? In the status bar.

18. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Hmm, on console that's less a hassle I'd say. You always have all buttons in reach on the controller so it's not requiring your focus to do a confirmation.

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity provides a preprocessor callback that is called when it is about to save assets to disk.

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AssetModificationProcessor.OnWillSaveAssets.html

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEditor;
    4. public class SaveMessage : AssetModificationProcessor
    5. {
    6.     static void OnWillSaveAssets(string[] paths)
    7.     {
    8.         Debug.Log("Saved.");
    9.     }
    10. }

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    Kiwasi and Antypodish like this.
  20. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

I think the main reason they went with the asterisk for this is that it accommodates situations where you have several scenes open at the same time, much better than only relying on status bar text.
    In the current system we can see which scenes are saved and which are dirty at all times with a quick glance.

I suppose there could be a confirmation in the status bar as well, it may help reinforce what the asterisk means to new users, because it would disappear at the same time the saved message appeared. (But it certainly doesn't need to be a pop-up dialog).

stain2319 and Funwill like this.