Search Unity

Just starting out and wondered if Python is a good choice or plain ridiculous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MaverickMode, Aug 14, 2015.

1. HemiMG

HemiMG

Wait, you eat? Do you sleep too? Clearly you have more time that I do. All I've eaten today are a couple bites of leftover taco. One day, I apparently cooked a pizza and completely forgot about it. I didn't realize it until I went to cook another and and there was a charred one already in the pizza oven. Thankfully those things turn themselves off. I might have had a charred house otherwise. I'll have a full meal when Zoo comes on, so I can combine eating with leisure. I have spent a little too much time on the forums today though. Waiting for Unity to rebuild lighting does have the advantage of given you a few moments of goof off time. ;-)

2. ippdev

ippdev

So do I and some of the things other folks say they have issues with I never have. I use a component based architecture and never had any issues with what I write. I like UnityScript a lot. It fits my artist headset just fine. I do not like C#. It is like speaking bad english as a third language and where are my colons and semi colons?? I like those. I come from a 10 year advanced Flash background prior and could kick AS around the block and back.

MaverickMode likes this.
  3. ippdev

ippdev

I had no work for a month..so I spent all my waking hours finding some..and swatting down the anxiety.. Then I get too much work.. Then one of the Steam projects the Inventory PRO and UFPS integration is broke and the game creator is in a seriously funky mood. To save my money on that i have to go back though their S***e and find the errors an then i have to build a fight game for the Floyd Meriweather fight in September..in two weeks whilst overlapping this other game and then guide another younger fellow through his KickStarter project. Sleep looks like a precious commodity coming up. Food. Well.. it's 7 o'clock here and I finally had time to eat. I post here to just relieve the pressure and let things backburner a bit.

MaverickMode likes this.
  4. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I dislike it primarily because there are languages that exist in which white space matters. When mono throws white space around arbitrarily like that I look around and go "Whoa, Mono! You better not let Python hear you talkin' like that!"

I don't know. The only memorable thing from that class was the teacher, DJ. Better known to the web as 'TheEngineerOfLies'. I learned what void pointers in C are still useful for and that amusing *p++ = *d++ line.

The real question is... who saves a fragment of a taco?!

MaverickMode and Ryiah like this.
  5. HemiMG

HemiMG

Haha. It was just a few bites of taco meat. I eat like a snake, giant meals spaced far apart. Mostly because I tend to forget that I haven't eaten so I'm starving by the time I finally do. This usually ends with me being too full for another bite when there is only a little left of whatever I was eating. Those tiny leftovers serve the purpose of shutting my stomach up long enough for me to get some more work done. I long for the days when I can eat like a normal person again.

MaverickMode, Tomnnn and ippdev like this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

My keyboard... stupid manufacturers need an easier way to clean these things.

Kiwasi, MaverickMode, Ony and 3 others like this.
  7. HemiMG

HemiMG

Yeah, the AC unit next to my laptop tends to blow dust on it. It would be really nice if cleaning it was easier.

ippdev, MaverickMode and Ryiah like this.
  8. ippdev

ippdev

Mine is filled with ashes of various sorts..I don't put either type down when typing:)

9. Ony

Ony

My keyboard is filled with blood. Muahahahahahaha....

Tomnnn, MaverickMode and Ryiah like this.
  10. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Mine appears to be, but it's just the obnoxious red cherry switch lights. I wish they were blue so I could annoy my co-workers.

Ony and MaverickMode like this.
  11. ippdev

ippdev

I do the same thing. It is merely fuel at this point. I used to be the mr gourmet world cuisine cook. Now it is a quick grass fed beef burger seared black on the outside and cold and nearly raw on the inside and i am done in 7 minutes and 42 seconds and back to work from burner on to burger devoured.. I was hungry for the last two days and wondered why even though i was eating..about 8 or 10 hours apart.. I then went back and calorie counted and boy was I short of needed calories. I have done that put it in the oven and then worked and then went to put food in the oven and found the shriveled remains of a chicken carcass. I am thinking a crockpot might be a good item to pick up soon:) Just chop the S*** up in 4 minutes and 27 seconds, throw it in the pot and the longer it cooks the better.

Ryiah and MaverickMode like this.
  12. ippdev

ippdev

With a cop siren.

Tomnnn and MaverickMode like this.
  13. ippdev

ippdev

You had Megyn Kelly as a houseguest?

MaverickMode likes this.
  14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Mine is filled with hope and joy.

You guys need new keyboards...

Ryiah, Kiwasi and MaverickMode like this.
  15. HemiMG

HemiMG

If I can't figure out why light is passing through two or three solid objects to screw up my GI, I may never eat again. I replaced my corner posts with mitered walls to solve the seam problem, then got light bleed. So I beveled the miters so they overlap, didn't fix it. Added the corner posts back in to block more light, didn't fix it. Added a cube on the outside to further block light, and the wrong light just moved positions. I'm actually kinda hungry right now too. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna waste yet another day trying to get lighting working correctly. Either I get it fixed tonight or die of starvation and/or lack of sleep. Sheesh!

MaverickMode likes this.
  16. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

If you've read, understood and followed all of the relevant docs then I'd log a support request, because either things aren't working as intended or the available information doesn't properly cover common use cases.

MaverickMode likes this.
  17. ippdev

ippdev

Thing that made me drop it like a hot potato was inputting code for a few hours and then all of a sudden it wasn't updating anything and there was two versions of the script with weird variations like unwanted white space, my formatting effed and some of my new code in one and some in another. No rhyme nor reason.

Tomnnn and MaverickMode like this.
  18. ippdev

ippdev

That's the spirit..LOL. I know what ya mean pal.

MaverickMode likes this.
  19. ippdev

ippdev

Braggart.

angrypenguin and MaverickMode like this.
  20. HemiMG

HemiMG

I've read everything there is to read at least two times, and watched every video they've put out. I'll be damned if I can figure it out. The latest light bake fixed one area, only to have another one mess up. Even though nothing at all changed in the scene. So I guess I'll go try and figure Unreal out for the rest of the day. I've ran out of ideas in Unity. At this point the only factor in my decision is which one I can get to function.

I'm not a pro user, so I don't think a support request would do much good. Not in any timely manner anyhow.

MaverickMode likes this.
  21. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I've had a couple of pretty lengthy chats with members of the support team via this account (ie: my hobby account rather than my Pro work account), so I'd give it a shot.

MaverickMode likes this.
  22. HemiMG

HemiMG

I may do that since I just realized that all my textures are spec/gloss and Unreal can't use those. I really don't want to convert two dozen textures to metal/rough. It would help if the issues weren't completely random. Things fix and break from one bake to the next. Now my fire bell has decided to glow in the dark.

It would be nice if Unity hired some guys to browse the forums and help out. The Global Illumination forum is filled to the brim with people having issues, but there aren't a lot resolved ones.

MaverickMode likes this.
  23. Tiles

Tiles

And i say there is no need to move at all when you already know Unity js. I too learned what i needed to know about C# in a few days. And i went back to Unity JS then. C# is interesting, but for me it was simply slower and more complicated to work with in Unity.

I guess we have reached the point where we agree to disagree. But i don't longer mind. So time to let go ^^

Where can i buy this? =)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    MaverickMode likes this.
  24. steego

steego

Just create a custom policy

_mdp1.png
    _mdp2.png

Then change the formatting for it the way you like it

_mdp3.png

You can then save it to a file for keeps, and export it to your projects.

_mdp4.png

Once you start a new project in unity, open the solution, go into custom policies and apply your policy to the solution. You should only need to do this once for every project.

_mdp5.png

25. steego

steego

Here is my monodevelop policy so you don't even have to set it up yourself to get it perfect ;)

Attached Files:

MaverickMode, Ryiah and ippdev like this.
  26. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Sounds like a worthy DIY project.

I had that bug in a previous version. You can spot the bug by saving. If your cursor jumps to a random point in the script, check your tabs because that script is open twice and you just jumped to the point where your cursor is in the other copy! Kill both tabs, reopen from unity script folder / mono sidebar.

Fascinating bug, but certainly annoying. I wouldn't blame you for never going back, I almost did the same... but the alternative was visual studio so I forgave monodevelop right away lol.

The only thing that bothers me is some of the indenting, I never noticed the 'apply to project' part... I'll try that next time I'm on windows. The default mac formatting doesn't do that. Or maybe it does, I fixed it, and forgot about it. Both equally possible.

MaverickMode likes this.
  27. steego

steego

I'm tempted, but no, I'm not going to get dragged into another internet argument about code formatting :p

MaverickMode and tiggus like this.
  28. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The thing is that, while they don't all apply to everyone, there are plenty of reasons to have and use different programming languages. Otherwise there wouldn't be "C-style languages", there would just be "C"* and we'd all use that for everything, because there'd be no need for anyone to use anything else for anything.

* Though of course C was itself based on parts of earlier languages...

29. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I bought the keyboard on special at a local electronics store. The hope and joy are DIY mods. ;)

MaverickMode likes this.