Search Unity

Question Just starting, need help ;_;

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Iamg1004, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Iamg1004

Iamg1004

Hi y'all! I'm kinda (very) new with this, so I wanted to gather some opinions.

I'm trying to make a 2d 1v1 shooting multiplayer Pc game (Sorry for the long tagging, here's hoping it helps lol), and wanted to know which netcode framework (I think it's the correct term) y'all think is better.

On price, free would be far better (I'm doing this as a practice run, so paying would be a total net loss, and even more so since I plan on making neither polished nor huge games in the future), but paid options are also on the table. It would just be for P2P/ClientServer networking, where two people who know each other can play together. There's no need for massive servers/matchmaking/etc, I'm but a humble starting indie developer wanting to see a proof of concept ; _ ;. Hopefully, It'd be kinda like this (*)(I know that's GMS, and an ancient one at that, but it's the closest I could find to what I want/would like to do : ( ).

Ease of use/Tutorials (Since I'm still pretty unexperienced) and performance (Since the game should be as close as lagless to possible, for a good experience) are the main metrics, unless there are other ones I'm unaware of. Any help is appreciated! ^_^

Dunno if this belongs here, so please tell me if it does not. English is my second language, so sorry for any confusion. Thanks!

Ps: I saw the Unity blogpost, but someone said that the blogpost itself was pretty unresearched and biased, so I wanted to gather some more points of view before locking myself and the development into one option.

(*)

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'd start with trying out either Mirror of MLAPI. Mirror is an actually maintained fork of Unet, anecdotally appears to have the largest userbase, and has the largest amount of tutorials since you can use existing Unet tutorials with just minor code changes. MLAPI was purchased by Unity, which makes it the officially supported API for MonoBehaviour based networking going forward, but Unity hasn't had a chance yet to expand much on the existing documentation for it.