Search Unity

Just started. What do I'd do?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RoboticCoder, Apr 5, 2015.

1. RoboticCoder

RoboticCoder

Alright I just got into game making and I need some advice. I haven't created any games, I don't have any experience in Java or c#, and only a little experience with unity. What I mean by a little is that I spent 40 minuites today playing around in it. So where can I start with learning to make the most simplest game. Also what do I need to know. From all of the tutorials I have watched today everyone on YouTube seemed to do the shotgun effect gaming, where they just get right into the programing and development without explaining much. I'm really looking forward to building games and having it become a career. I'm only 14 so ya learn when your young, right.;)

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Hit up the learn section. Watch all the scripting videos.

3. ninja_pat

ninja_pat

You could start to become familiar wit the interface, navigation, shortcuts, using basic shapes to create a simple level, add textures/colors (i.e., cubes, and new materials - textures or color-), and then start to use the built-in assets provided by Unity 5 (e.g., Character controller or Camera). These should provide you with interesting building blocks to start understanding drag and drop features, before you start programming. After you feel comfortable with these you may consider looking at simple scripting alternatives such as handling collision between the character controller and other objects, displaying a simple UI, collecting objects (i.e., using Destroy), and finally implement a simple game where you can navigate, pickup objects, and display the score accordingly within a specific time. If you stuck with any of these, just give me a shout. Happy to help!

4. kdubnz

kdubnz