Search Unity

Just signed up and need 2 simple questions answered

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Content Delivery' started by darashayda, Sep 21, 2021.

1. darashayda

darashayda

We are used to Asset Streaming, our own or Unity's Asset Bundle.

1. I like to make sure that CLI does allow for live running Unity games to download data while the player is playing.

2. Is the download BLOCKING IO? Our Streaming was not, but is the download in this service you offer pauses the game 100% during the transfer, or it is multi-tasked?

Thanx

Dara

2. timtunity3d

timtunity3d

Unity Technologies

Cloud Content Delivery is the service that stores the files and makes them available to game clients. You will still need a Unity technology like Asset Bundles or Addressables to download the files inside your game.

1. When using Addressables it is possible to download data in the background while the user is playing.

2. Addressables can do either blocking or non-blocking IO operations. A lot of developers use a combination of techniques. They might do a blocking download with a progress bar to download the entire first level of the game, or use background downloading to download assets available for purchase in an in-game store.

3. darashayda

darashayda

By the way Mr. Tim big fan of yours, I have read your posts for sometime. Excellent and professional support and engineering.

I appreciate the astute and precise answers above.

We are done here and I am grateful.

Dara